Ponting to take over from Waugh

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ricky Ponting has been named to take over from Steve Waugh as captain of the Australian Test side after their home series against India. The announcement was made at a press conference in Melbourne. Earlier, this week, Waugh had announced that he would retire from Test cricket at the end of the series.

Reacting to the news, Ponting said: "It's a great honour to be named as Test captain-elect and I thank the selectors and Cricket Australia's directors for their faith in me. Every Australian kid who plays backyard cricket dreams of being Australian Test captain and I was no different. "

Ponting also paid tribute to Waugh, and congratulated Adam Gilchrist for being appointed vice-captain-elect. "As I have already stated this week, this time in Australian cricket is not about me, it's about celebrating Steve Waugh," Ponting said. "I would have been happy to play out the rest of my career under his inspirational leadership.

"My intention for the next six weeks is to be the best vice-captain I can be and to ensure we play at our best in the imminent series against India. Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage the Australian public to get out and give Steve the farewell he deserves."

Ponting's apppointment was predictable given his outstanding record as the captain of the Australian one-day team. Ponting became ODI captain in February 2002 for the one-day series in South Africa, after Australia had failed to make the finals of the VB Series earlier in the season. The selectors' choice was soon vindicated, as Australia displayed outstanding form in the ODIs, winning the World Cup in South Africa earlier this year and most recently, the TVS tri-series in India.

But not everyone welcomed the timing of the announcement. The former Australia batsmen David Hookes, now Victoria's coach, said that it was ill conceived. "They're leaving themselves open for Ponting to have a bad series," he insisted. "What about if he does a knee and doesn't play for 12 months? He will go to Sri Lanka regardless of his form, but if he finishes the last two Tests with 0, 0, three and five and has a poor one-day series, he's going as captain?"

Ponting and Waugh face off this weekend when Ponting leads Tasmania against Waugh's New South Wales side in the ING Cup.

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Users who are viewing this thread