Tutorial: Powerpoint 2007 Tutorial by Coolboy12 - Completed (Warning: Big Pics)

AsadAbrar

International Coach
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Hello, planetcricketers!
Today i will be doing a tutorial on:
  • How to make custom shapes in Powerpoint
  • How to apply awesome 3d effects to them (nearly like zax)

Things needed:
  1. Basic knowledge about Powerpoint 2007
  2. Powerpoint 2007 (maybe 2010 can work)
  3. Experience in making,editing paths
  4. A stock from which you will trace (optional)
  5. Extra Time

Ok, so lets start:

30663112.png

1. I would be making a lion (http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5884073/2/istockphoto_5884073-lion-vector.jpg) and applying 3d effects to it. So i copy the image from Google images and paste it into PowerPoint 2007 and re-size it a bit.
    25124681.png
  2. Then i would start tracing it. To trace go to Shapes (Home Tab), then go to Lines and use any of the tools mentioned in the picture(the right one is a straight line tool while the other is curved line one. As my shape is curvy, i use the curved line tool.
  3. Zoom it a bit (your choice, i normally zoom it to 150%), then start tracing it. Make small points, it will help in editing them if you have made it wrong later on. If you shape is identical, that means some shapes are continuously repeated, then don't bother to trace or make them again, we can just copy and paste those shapes later on.
    23047034.png

As you can see, my line isn't that straight and the curves aren't that pointed, that doesn't matter as we would edit them later on. When you have traced your shape then go to the next point.
    89948163.png

4. Now, if you think that your shape isn't really that right, then right click it and click "Edit Points". Now this is just like Photoshop's "Convert Point" tool. Click the black points and reshape it as you want. For this you can lower the transparency of the shape so you can easily reshape it. See how i reshaped it (the size difference is due too % of zoom).
    14633789.png

5. Now we do the most awesome part, applying 3d effects onto it. right click the Shape and click "Format Shape". Here a dialog box opens with headings such as "Fill", "Line Color" and etc. First we go to "Fill" and change the color according to our choice, i use simple red, you can chose any type of color or even gradients. Then I go to "3-D Format" and play with the settings you like, these are my settings.
    79680788.png

6. Now, copy all the shapes after you have done all the previous parts and the stock to a image editor. Then copy the shapes which are identical and paste them and rotate them according to your shape.

Thats it, the tutorial is completed and here our my various outcomes.
pcb3d.png
lionk.png

DO NOT RIP! Use only with permission

Last edited:

Zaxotes

National Board President
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
all the best for this tut...:thumbs

Pranav

ICC Board Member
Nice work there. Dipak recently linked me to a similar tutorial on youtube. This will surely help a lot of guys here.

You can also play with the '3D Rotation' settings to add some more effects.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Wonderful tutorial. I'll certainly try it out within the next few hours. :)

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Are these shapes are vector? I mean they can be resize to any size like in Adobe Illustrator?

Zaxotes

National Board President
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
good tut... i liked it.
@Dutchmen: not often... regularly!:p

Last edited:

AsadAbrar

International Coach
Profile Flag
Pakistan
@Pranav
yup, i also cleared some of my doubts from youtube.

@S2y
I really havent tried that, let me try! then i will tell you.

@Others
Thanks alot!

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I tried it out. Firstly, I just couldn't cut out any object, so decided to make some from scratch by using the default shapes. Was able to give the 3D effect but the outcome was still very bad. I seriously don't know anything about it, will spend some time on Powerpoint post my exams.

But at the end of the day, your tutorial made me learn something new. Thanks for that, wonderful tut.

AsadAbrar

International Coach
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I tried it out. Firstly, I just couldn't cut out any object, so decided to make some from scratch by using the default shapes. Was able to give the 3D effect but the outcome was still very bad. I seriously don't know anything about it, will spend some time on Powerpoint post my exams.

But at the end of the day, your tutorial made me learn something new. Thanks for that, wonderful tut.

Thank you very much for the praise :). If you have any problem, then make a shape and go to Format tab, click Shape Effects and then click preset and click any of the designs you like. Then right click and go to Format Shape and check how it is bevelled. Then edit the settings if you want.:thumbs

Last edited:

kandy422

Club Captain
Hey good one mate...
surely it will help so many people...
If you use ms office 2010 you can easily provide some gradient effects to the shapes very easily...
reps for you...

Users who are viewing this thread