Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
After last season?s dismal outing of Pro Evolution Soccer, many fans started to question how much further the game could progress and if the developers were really in-touch with their fan base outside of Japan. As soon as the game was released, interviews from Seabass himself began to circulate where he was almost apologetic with the game that had just been put out. Added to the justified criticism aimed towards PES 2008, the FIFA series had kicked itself up the backside and last year released a game many thought was the turning point in the PES vs FIFA argument which keeps rumbling on.

With a now tainted reputation, PES slunk quietly back into its cave knowing it had to do better next time around. Nearly a year has passed since the release of PES 2008 and the developers have been hard at work in Japan desperate to make up for the shortcomings of their previous game.

TheBoss was invited by Konami down to their offices last week for an exclusive playtest of the new Pro Evolution Soccer game. He had the chance to play a 70% complete build on the PS3 (the development process is much further on than 70%).

THE STUFF OF LEGENDS

The major new addition to PES 2009 is the Become a Legend mode, which has existed in the Japanese J-League games for the last couple of years under the name ?Fantasista?. Thankfully, Konami have decided to rename the mode for the world market and improve upon their original design. You create your potential legend when you first enter the mode and then it?s off to a trial match where, based on your performance, a scout will pick you out and offer you a deal at a club. Once at a club, it?s your job to work your way up through the ranks through good performances before making the jump into the first team. Impress enough and you could earn yourself a move to a major club, but if you do badly you?ll find yourself relegated back to the bench and maybe even a move to smaller club!

Your player?s stats are generated after the trial game and will be calculated according to your performance in the match, as well as what your main strengths or weaknesses were. During the season, the more your player plays, the quicker he will develop and by focusing on your passing for example and executing several key passes, your passing stats will increase quicker. The same applies to other characteristics of your player, so in theory will mirror your own playing style. Sitting on the bench for long periods of time will doing nothing to develop your Legend (and won?t alleviate your boredom either, although thankfully you can increase the speed of the game during these times until you get substituted on) and you may find yourself better off transferring to a smaller club to hone your skills in the first team before making the step back up.

As this has the potential to be a deep mode, all the options couldn?t be explored in the playtest but the first impressions of it are very positive. The new vertical player cam, which was partly on show during the PES 2009 trailer, works very well. During the season, you can check out your own personal playing stats as well as your team stats as you could in Master League mode. One slight limitation of the mode is the fact you can?t play as a goalkeeper or a defender through this mode. The lack of a goalkeeper option is clearly understandable as it would need a new range of controls specifically for the keeper, but slightly disappointed you can?t be a defender. Possibly the programmers thought it wouldn?t be as exciting to be a defender, or more likely it would have required the developers to work extensively on your team mates defensive AI possibly delaying the game. If you?re desperate to play as a defender, then you could pick WB as your position and try to sign for a team which uses wing backs who will subsequently give you some defensive responsibility.

If you get bored of just taking your superstar through the offline game mode, then you should be delighted with another major new addition in ?Legends?, the online version of Become a Legend where you take your player online and play with others against the computer.

The Master League mode hasn?t received much attention with only slight tweaks being made to the negotiations and player loyalty which has already been touched upon in the most recent press release from Konami.
It?s certainly a disappointment that so little has been done in a mode which was once regarded as one of the best single player modes in any sports game, where even small additions could breathe new life into Master League.

EDITING BACK WITH A BANG

One section of the game which has received much needed attention is the edit mode. Back on the PS2, the edit modes were expansive allowing you to edit pretty much everything to do with a team and players but when the game was debuted on a next-gen system, the edit mode was almost non-existent. PES 2008 improved on this by allowing you to edit more than just player names but it still lacked many of the features that still existed on the PS2 version of the game. In its defence, it did bring a couple of new features to the table in the ability to take photos and use them on kits, as well as comprehensive face editing.

PES 2009 improves on this again with the return of emblem editing, which will make the team selection screen much easier for me! You can either use the Pixel Paint method unveiled in the press release, or you can import a jpg file off the hard drive for the badge. The kit editing has also been improved upon with new template designs, as well as the ability to import jpg files off the hard drive for sponsor and manufacturer logos with enough room for 40 team?s images to be saved. There?s enough room on the shirts for one badge and one ?logo? design to be displayed at once so the people in the editing section should be able to make some top notch designs! Boot editing misses out again but with a plethora of designs and colours to choose from, PES players with a boot fetish should be satisfied with the amount on offer. The standard player editing options still exist, as do the team options. One added extra is the ability to import your own crowd chants, so all the scousers can finally replicate famous European nights with ?You?ll Never Walk Alone? being belted out by the home fans in the dying minutes of a game.

All these new additions to the game will ultimately amount to nothing if the gameplay doesn?t stand up to previous instalments of the game, and more importantly, what the competition has brought to the party.

One major alteration to the core gameplay is the implementation of true manual control. In the past, once a player had passed the ball to a team-mate, the cursor would then automatically switch to the player receiving the pass. However, in PES 20009 the cursor will not switch unless you select him. This new control system seems like a step forward as it allows you to pass the ball to a computer controlled player whilst you run into space with the passer, before switching control to the ball carrier and playing a through ball to the man you ran into space with. This new control system may take a bit of time to get the hang of, even for a PES veteran, and expect to find yourself in many keystone cop defending situations as you lose track of who you?re controlling!

One of my main gripes with PES 2008 was the erratic and often hopeless goalkeepers who would consistently parry shots back into play for an easy tap in by the opposition striker. Thankfully, during the playtest the keepers seemed much more alive to their surroundings, rarely spilling easy shots and reacting far quicker after diving to save a shot. Another regular complaint across the PES community was the invincibility of dribblers who were able to run the entire length of the pitch brushing off all defenders before unleashing a shot from a narrow angle which would end up in the back of the net. Again, Konami have listened to the complaints and have improved the tackling making it much harder to beat a player meaning we shouldn?t be seeing as many sixty yard dribbles in the future.
Shooting is also harder, with strikers no longer able to score from tight angles as often as they were able to in PES 2008. Body positioning and the striker?s stats play a bigger part in determining how accurate the shot will be, meaning you will have to create clearer chances for your front men for them to have a good chance of beating the ?keeper.

The player animations have also received a slight revamp, with the ?ice skating? animations less obvious. The player models appear better than ever, with faces looking even more realistic than before. The lighting effects make the players look more like people and less like wax work models from Madame Tussauds. Beckham even had his neck tattoos!

The long balls and crosses now seem ?floaty?, with crosses proving quite effective against the computer with crosses aimed at the back post leading to some easy goals. Against human opposition this didn?t seem as effective so perhaps it?s just a small AI niggle which hadn?t been fixed yet.

Some small niggles still remain in the game, such as the invisible wall around the throw in taker and the odd controversial decision from the referee. The number of stadiums has been increased from the rather paltry offering of PES 08 to a healthier sounding 24, with some stadiums returning from the PS2 versions like the Rasunda in Sweden and the Amsterdam Arena, joining some new officially licensed stadiums such as Wembley. Some new teams will be joining the roster but with licenses not 100% confirmed at this point, a complete team list can?t be given at this time.

AND THE WIND IS SHOOTING THROUGH THE STADIUM!

Audio wise, the commentary team of Jon Champion and Mark Lawrenson return with a few new lines of input to entertain you during your games, but apart from the odd new comment very little has changed from the previous game. One of PES? many charms for me was the quirky J-Pop tunes that greeted you when you navigated through the menus. Still without any mainstream music, there are over sixty rock songs to choose from on the playlist, with the added ability to import custom mp3 files to play on the menus.

The one Achilles heel of PES has always been the online side of the game. When it was introduced back in PES 5 it suffered from some serious lag. Fast forward to today and the game still has its laggy moments which, truth be told, is unacceptable. PES 2008 had some of the popular features removed, such as the ability to play 2vs2 and even one of the more essential features in the lobby. PES 2009 tries to rectify this by bringing back the lobby to find your opponents, and 2vs2 returns as well. With the addition of ?Legend? mode Konami have increased the number of online options, but if the game doesn?t run smoothly then it will fall flat on its face.

So there you have it, a very positive opinion of PES 2009, which is shaping up to be a cracker when it's released in October.

With the Leipzig Games Convention now underway, expect a barrage of news and videos over the next few days!

Taken from
http://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?p=7236158#post7236158

Last edited by a moderator:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Lol, Fifa is made by EA thats the problem. EA is all show and no blow. Whilst Pes 2008 clearly fell way short, i am mildly optimistic that this years version will be much better. Game play has always sucked on Fifa, if they can make that better, then it has a chance to claim the crown.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah maybe.

Pes does have some sort of manual passing now, it mentions something about it in that report. Anyway, ill be trying this years Fifa, i always do, i always give it a chance. As i said last year, i really hope its good, i love the fact that it has all the English football sides, down too league two anyway.

Being a bristol rovers fan, i only ever get to play as them on FM. :p

The_gas added 8 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Supports: P.N.E
vCash: 1000
TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000TheEditor 2000

Sourced News More PES 2009 playtests
Advertisement
With the embargo on information now over, sites have taken advantage by posting their impressions of the game as early as they possibly could. Those early birds maybe have read these already but for those who haven't, here are some more impressions of the game and the Leipzig demo

everyeye.it posted their impressions of the demo late last night, and thanks to dejavu76 && Jack K, here is a translated summary of the article

Added to that, here is Swedish site Level7's impressions of the game

Quote:
At last year's PES-gathering for media I spoke with some overly intoxicated european KONAMI-associates. They
expressed a frustration about KONAMI in Japan not really understanding what is important in Europe and that
they are desperately trying to get more influence. In PES2008 they started to get more ideas through, like a
licensed menu song for instance. In 2009 there is a detail that says alot about the PES series. There are
now alot more licensed music, but instead of writing out the songname and artist, which would be the natural
way to do it, they continue with their system of writing songname and the genre (rock, techno, etcetera). As
if that is interesting. The same peculiar way of thinking is unfortunately found alot in PES2009.
Improvements, but without a feeling for how to best please us the players.

Repairs: The defensive line
Among the worst things with PES 2008 was that the defenders all too often were completely absent and wrong
in their runs which could lead to the opponents getting free passage to a scoring opportunity. It is much
better this year. This is despite the fact that Seabass refused to recognize the problem last year. Your
teammates also move significantly better this year and holding L1 before passing often leads to the passer
making a nice long run. It is also a bit more unusual for goalkeepers to make big blunders and, above all,
the refresh rate has improved since last year's version, which was almost unplayable.

Improvements: Ball physics
The biggest improvement is that overall the ball is more alive. As the players are now stretching more after
balls, there will be more somewhat failed balltouches. Someone may get a toe in, and the ball is "free" on
the pitch. An attempt to stand in the way of a ball might instead become a embarassing tunnel. Players try,
but fail completely to reach a ball. Shots bounce on players standing in the way and in duels and
overcrowded areas anything can happen. It may, because of this, sometimes become even more messy in tight
situations in the penalty area and it will probably take a long time before you learn that it can be
dangerous to have too many people in the same area.
On the whole more balls become "loose". In PES 2008 to PS3/360 the ball was more often pegged to a player.
It is a delicate balance. We do not want the ball to be an entirely free entity as in Sensible Soccer, but
Konami found a really good balance in PES 2008 for PS2. Unfortunately, it is not quite as free and
successful in PES 2009, but it is better than the last to PS3/360.

New: Player Control
An interesting new feature is that you can now choose to only switch players when you press L1. With this
setting you do not automatically switch players when a player receives a pass. This means that you can let
the computer play the ball around before you become one of them to pass the ball to someone you have started
a run with. Not simple to get used to, but there is clearly a point to the feature.
Another new feature is that you can decide which players you want to be able to control on the pitch. For
example, an attacker, a sidemidfielder and the defensive midfield. Then, when you change players with L1,
you will only switch between these players. In this way, you and up to six friends (in the PS3 version) can
split the team between you if you want.
In the case of feints and tricks alot of them are now performed automatically as long as you move with
technical players. Ronaldo may, for example, make a stepover feint while changing direction. Otherwise, the
control is familiar.

Better, but not enough?
This is one of the most permanent impressions I get, this is better than last year, but not as good as PES
2008 for PS2. There Konami found a balance between a free ball and a play on the pitch that completely
depended on the player. In the versions to 360 and PS3, it happens too often that stupid players on the plan
or big goalkeeper bloopers cause conceded goals.
The awkward and bad passing game remain, and may even have worsened. Either the direction control for the
passes is too sensitve, or KONAMI has implemented a too large random factor during passing since they still
can end up all over the place. Certainly not in every situation, but too often.

Become a Legend: the basics
Konami is this year trying to outright copy EA's Be A Pro. Create a player as midfielder or attacker. Then
choose a league or create your own with the teams you want. Now you're always controlling the same player
and initially you play a test game. You observe the action on the pitch from a slightly zoomed-in camera
that follows your player, and it's your job to perform as well as possible. To become more involved in the
game, you can request a pass with 2 quick presses of R2 (or if you change the configuration). But unlike
FIFA's Be A Pro mode, your teammates do not pass immediately. Instead, they pass a little when they feel
like it, which can lead to the opportunity already having passed by the time you get the ball. Once again,
KONAMI completely ignores the "accessibility aspect" of the game.

Become a Legend: in a larger club
After the Test, you get bids from various teams and must choose one of them. The wacky thing is that you end
up in a major club from the start, and your player is easily worse than any of your teammates in the
starting 11. I choose to play for Everton (Merseyside Blue), and at first I am playing an internal training
match against the others in the team. I do fairly badly even though I am taking a lot of responsibility. I
miss some important passes and miss the 2 scoring opportunities I create. But I still manage a 7.5 rating
which is best in my team. To make a long story short, after about 20 matches (that is, around 1800 minutes)
I had been able to get subbed in in about half of the matches, and rarely more than fifteen minutes per game
(total playing time is approximately 150 minutes of 1800 minutes). The rest of the time, I have had to watch
the matches from the bench. While one can increase the tempo of the matches to four times as fast, it is
still about five minutes per game.

Become a Legend: failed joke?
The sad thing is that when I do get to play I almost always get a better rating than my fellow players, and
I both score goals and deliver assists. After a bunch of games most of my teammates are almost completely
drained of energy and their form-arrows point straight downhill. Despite all this I still don't get to start
matches.
It would have been okay if I had developed my player so far, but after 20 games, he has not yet received a
single improved stat. The fact is that he has not even had a half step in any stat.
Hopefully, Konami forgot to inform me that this is an unfinished game mode which will be fixed before
release. Otherwise, this is nothing more than a failed joke.

Master League: as usual
Us Master League-enthusiasts have by now become accustomed to Konami ignoring us every year. The career mode
has barely evolved over the past five years, and it is the same thing this year. The only thing that changed
is that the negotiations now take place in two stages; first with the club, then with the player. More
specicially, first a transfer fee with the club, and then salary and contract negotiations with the player.
Otherwise, nothing has happened and it is as frustrating as usual.

The graphics and sound: better
Graphically there has been some improvement. The players look a little better, the audience may be a little
more alive, framerates are clearly improved, many new animations have been added, the menus at least have
some kind of design this year and facial expressions are more alive. Sound-wise, besides a few songs that
are actually sort of OK, there are also more chants included in the arenas (even though they become a bit
repetitive after a while).

Online: confusion
Choose name, favorite team, favourite players and a signature before you go serverhunting. It is divided
into British, German and a few other variants. You can see where there are people, and how many they are.
Then you go into different lobbies and find players. I spent an hour trying to get up and running it, but
hopefully it is simply not ready yet and Konami have forgotten to tell me.
From the menus, however, I can figure out that it should be possible to play two against two online (in 2003
Seabass said in an interview that they could fix eleven against eleven online on PS2), and there is a Legend
mode in which it seems possible to bring in your "Become A Legend" players and be one of four that play in
the same team. Exactly how it works, we have not yet been able to test.

The Edit mode: same
In PES2009, as in the past, it is possible to change team names and go in and fine-tune players in
everything from appearance to behavior. For example, there are 16 different shoes (no custom creation),
about as many settings as last year when it comes to facial hair, hair, facial models and more. Faces can be
modified quite alot, but hairstyles and beards are still lacking in numbers a bit. To set the dribble and
freekick styles feels extremely pointless, but the 71 different goal celebration styles is as fun as last
year.
It is possible to import a picture with the Playstation Eye, but it does not appear to be improved from last
year, and us who have beards can forget trying to include it with the player.

Licensing: fewer
The big news is that Konami seems to have lost the entire Spanish league. They have the wrong team names and
wrong kits. In England Liverpool and Manchester United should be confirmed, but the names are still wrong in
this versions. Bayern Munich has been replaced for Zenit St Petersburg and in the Nordic countries
Helsingborg have had to leave room for Brøndby (left are Hammarby, AIK, Rosenborg, Helsinki, IFK Gothenburg
and Copenhagen). In other words, not one licence has been added without atleast one other being dropped.

Other short impression:
• Replays can now be viewed even after a break in play.
• Still quite "steered"/controlled who has the ball.
• The runs are still a bit "stilted".
• Still running in eight directions only.
• Simply holding X and square works alarmingly good to steal the ball from the computer.
• As in 2008, it happens a little too often that players are on the totally wrong place on the pitch. A DMF

up at the offensive throw-in, for example.
• Online Games requires Konami ID - at least in the PS3.
• Jostles can end in several/more ways.
• The players still do not understand where the sidelines are.
• Players sometimes stop for almost a second when they miss a reception/trap or duel.
• Must still by myself check what match comes next and what applies in it.

Conclusion: almost all the way
Much has been improved since 2008, and except for when I was playing Become A Legend, I have had a lot of
fun with PES 2009. It is much better than 2008 on many of the key points, but I am still a little
disappointed. This is what PES 2008 should have been. Now, I had expected yet another step farther. One step
closer to the gameplay "feel" the PS2 version had last year, a lot more additional licenses, less rigid
animations on the pitch, smarter players and much more. Instead, Konami invested in a number of new game
modes, which hopefully was not functioning as they would in the unfinished version I tested. To sum up:
really good, but not the cracker I was hopeing for.
Thanks to Trance_Allstar for the translation!

Taken from
http://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?t=205064

The_gas added 1 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

More play test reports

With the embargo on information now over, sites have taken advantage by posting their impressions of the game as early as they possibly could. Those early birds maybe have read these already but for those who haven't, here are some more impressions of the game and the Leipzig demo

everyeye.it posted their impressions of the demo late last night, and thanks to dejavu76 && Jack K, here is a translated summary of the article

2s867lv.jpg

Added to that, here is Swedish site Level7's impressions of the game

At last year's PES-gathering for media I spoke with some overly intoxicated european KONAMI-associates. They
expressed a frustration about KONAMI in Japan not really understanding what is important in Europe and that
they are desperately trying to get more influence. In PES2008 they started to get more ideas through, like a
licensed menu song for instance. In 2009 there is a detail that says alot about the PES series. There are
now alot more licensed music, but instead of writing out the songname and artist, which would be the natural
way to do it, they continue with their system of writing songname and the genre (rock, techno, etcetera). As
if that is interesting. The same peculiar way of thinking is unfortunately found alot in PES2009.
Improvements, but without a feeling for how to best please us the players.

Repairs: The defensive line
Among the worst things with PES 2008 was that the defenders all too often were completely absent and wrong
in their runs which could lead to the opponents getting free passage to a scoring opportunity. It is much
better this year. This is despite the fact that Seabass refused to recognize the problem last year. Your
teammates also move significantly better this year and holding L1 before passing often leads to the passer
making a nice long run. It is also a bit more unusual for goalkeepers to make big blunders and, above all,
the refresh rate has improved since last year's version, which was almost unplayable.

Improvements: Ball physics
The biggest improvement is that overall the ball is more alive. As the players are now stretching more after
balls, there will be more somewhat failed balltouches. Someone may get a toe in, and the ball is "free" on
the pitch. An attempt to stand in the way of a ball might instead become a embarassing tunnel. Players try,
but fail completely to reach a ball. Shots bounce on players standing in the way and in duels and
overcrowded areas anything can happen. It may, because of this, sometimes become even more messy in tight
situations in the penalty area and it will probably take a long time before you learn that it can be
dangerous to have too many people in the same area.
On the whole more balls become "loose". In PES 2008 to PS3/360 the ball was more often pegged to a player.
It is a delicate balance. We do not want the ball to be an entirely free entity as in Sensible Soccer, but
Konami found a really good balance in PES 2008 for PS2. Unfortunately, it is not quite as free and
successful in PES 2009, but it is better than the last to PS3/360.

New: Player Control
An interesting new feature is that you can now choose to only switch players when you press L1. With this
setting you do not automatically switch players when a player receives a pass. This means that you can let
the computer play the ball around before you become one of them to pass the ball to someone you have started
a run with. Not simple to get used to, but there is clearly a point to the feature.
Another new feature is that you can decide which players you want to be able to control on the pitch. For
example, an attacker, a sidemidfielder and the defensive midfield. Then, when you change players with L1,
you will only switch between these players. In this way, you and up to six friends (in the PS3 version) can
split the team between you if you want.
In the case of feints and tricks alot of them are now performed automatically as long as you move with
technical players. Ronaldo may, for example, make a stepover feint while changing direction. Otherwise, the
control is familiar.

Better, but not enough?
This is one of the most permanent impressions I get, this is better than last year, but not as good as PES
2008 for PS2. There Konami found a balance between a free ball and a play on the pitch that completely
depended on the player. In the versions to 360 and PS3, it happens too often that stupid players on the plan
or big goalkeeper bloopers cause conceded goals.
The awkward and bad passing game remain, and may even have worsened. Either the direction control for the
passes is too sensitve, or KONAMI has implemented a too large random factor during passing since they still
can end up all over the place. Certainly not in every situation, but too often.

Become a Legend: the basics
Konami is this year trying to outright copy EA's Be A Pro. Create a player as midfielder or attacker. Then
choose a league or create your own with the teams you want. Now you're always controlling the same player
and initially you play a test game. You observe the action on the pitch from a slightly zoomed-in camera
that follows your player, and it's your job to perform as well as possible. To become more involved in the
game, you can request a pass with 2 quick presses of R2 (or if you change the configuration). But unlike
FIFA's Be A Pro mode, your teammates do not pass immediately. Instead, they pass a little when they feel
like it, which can lead to the opportunity already having passed by the time you get the ball. Once again,
KONAMI completely ignores the "accessibility aspect" of the game.

Become a Legend: in a larger club
After the Test, you get bids from various teams and must choose one of them. The wacky thing is that you end
up in a major club from the start, and your player is easily worse than any of your teammates in the
starting 11. I choose to play for Everton (Merseyside Blue), and at first I am playing an internal training
match against the others in the team. I do fairly badly even though I am taking a lot of responsibility. I
miss some important passes and miss the 2 scoring opportunities I create. But I still manage a 7.5 rating
which is best in my team. To make a long story short, after about 20 matches (that is, around 1800 minutes)
I had been able to get subbed in in about half of the matches, and rarely more than fifteen minutes per game
(total playing time is approximately 150 minutes of 1800 minutes). The rest of the time, I have had to watch
the matches from the bench. While one can increase the tempo of the matches to four times as fast, it is
still about five minutes per game.

Become a Legend: failed joke?
The sad thing is that when I do get to play I almost always get a better rating than my fellow players, and
I both score goals and deliver assists. After a bunch of games most of my teammates are almost completely
drained of energy and their form-arrows point straight downhill. Despite all this I still don't get to start
matches.
It would have been okay if I had developed my player so far, but after 20 games, he has not yet received a
single improved stat. The fact is that he has not even had a half step in any stat.
Hopefully, Konami forgot to inform me that this is an unfinished game mode which will be fixed before
release. Otherwise, this is nothing more than a failed joke.

Master League: as usual
Us Master League-enthusiasts have by now become accustomed to Konami ignoring us every year. The career mode
has barely evolved over the past five years, and it is the same thing this year. The only thing that changed
is that the negotiations now take place in two stages; first with the club, then with the player. More
specicially, first a transfer fee with the club, and then salary and contract negotiations with the player.
Otherwise, nothing has happened and it is as frustrating as usual.

The graphics and sound: better
Graphically there has been some improvement. The players look a little better, the audience may be a little
more alive, framerates are clearly improved, many new animations have been added, the menus at least have
some kind of design this year and facial expressions are more alive. Sound-wise, besides a few songs that
are actually sort of OK, there are also more chants included in the arenas (even though they become a bit
repetitive after a while).

Online: confusion
Choose name, favorite team, favourite players and a signature before you go serverhunting. It is divided
into British, German and a few other variants. You can see where there are people, and how many they are.
Then you go into different lobbies and find players. I spent an hour trying to get up and running it, but
hopefully it is simply not ready yet and Konami have forgotten to tell me.
From the menus, however, I can figure out that it should be possible to play two against two online (in 2003
Seabass said in an interview that they could fix eleven against eleven online on PS2), and there is a Legend
mode in which it seems possible to bring in your "Become A Legend" players and be one of four that play in
the same team. Exactly how it works, we have not yet been able to test.

The Edit mode: same
In PES2009, as in the past, it is possible to change team names and go in and fine-tune players in
everything from appearance to behavior. For example, there are 16 different shoes (no custom creation),
about as many settings as last year when it comes to facial hair, hair, facial models and more. Faces can be
modified quite alot, but hairstyles and beards are still lacking in numbers a bit. To set the dribble and
freekick styles feels extremely pointless, but the 71 different goal celebration styles is as fun as last
year.
It is possible to import a picture with the Playstation Eye, but it does not appear to be improved from last
year, and us who have beards can forget trying to include it with the player.

Licensing: fewer
The big news is that Konami seems to have lost the entire Spanish league. They have the wrong team names and
wrong kits. In England Liverpool and Manchester United should be confirmed, but the names are still wrong in
this versions. Bayern Munich has been replaced for Zenit St Petersburg and in the Nordic countries
Helsingborg have had to leave room for Brøndby (left are Hammarby, AIK, Rosenborg, Helsinki, IFK Gothenburg
and Copenhagen). In other words, not one licence has been added without atleast one other being dropped.

Other short impression:
• Replays can now be viewed even after a break in play.
• Still quite "steered"/controlled who has the ball.
• The runs are still a bit "stilted".
• Still running in eight directions only.
• Simply holding X and square works alarmingly good to steal the ball from the computer.
• As in 2008, it happens a little too often that players are on the totally wrong place on the pitch. A DMF

up at the offensive throw-in, for example.
• Online Games requires Konami ID - at least in the PS3.
• Jostles can end in several/more ways.
• The players still do not understand where the sidelines are.
• Players sometimes stop for almost a second when they miss a reception/trap or duel.
• Must still by myself check what match comes next and what applies in it.

Conclusion: almost all the way
Much has been improved since 2008, and except for when I was playing Become A Legend, I have had a lot of
fun with PES 2009. It is much better than 2008 on many of the key points, but I am still a little
disappointed. This is what PES 2008 should have been. Now, I had expected yet another step farther. One step
closer to the gameplay "feel" the PS2 version had last year, a lot more additional licenses, less rigid
animations on the pitch, smarter players and much more. Instead, Konami invested in a number of new game
modes, which hopefully was not functioning as they would in the unfinished version I tested. To sum up:
really good, but not the cracker I was hoping for.

Again taken from pesfan
http://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?t=205064

Last edited:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Seems decent. Despite FIFA 08 being the best FIFA ever, it still wasn't a better footballing game than PES 08 and given that PES 08 was awful that shows how well PES plays. FIFA 08 although un undoubtedley good game, was too slow and unresponsive. It just doesn't represent the actual football playing as well as PES does. And that is why I still have high hopes for the new PES. Of course FIFA 09 is shaping up to be a great game, but time will tell.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
It wasn't a joke. It's a matter of personal opinion, and PES in essence is the same game as 6 but with more flaws. FIFA is too slow and unresponsive, PES isn't perfect but it simulates football better. It's online may be terrible, but the games are more enjoyable than those on FIFA because of sheer unpredictability.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I think he means in terms of the actual football played. And i would agree with him, despite its faults, i can play beautiful football on Pes 08, and still score different types of goals every time i play it. I could never say the same about any game of fifa.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Don't play the 'oh i'm more of a football purist than you' card because it just isn't relevant. I've said many times that I love both games, but all the games on FIFA are the same near enough. You'll never see the same match twice on PES. It's always been like that since the ISS days. It's something FIFA have just never been able to muster.

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
That is spot on Matt, to be honest i noticed it the most on Pes 05 and 06 rather than 08 but still. Pes 05 was actually the first ever Pes i played.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I do use manual controls; I wouldn't have it any other wide. You have to rely too much on the same kind of goals on FIFA. Now yes PES has the cut back problem which can quite rightly be critiscized, but i'd still choose PES anyday. FIFA 09 looks great and the new player collision system hopefully can lead to a bit more unpredictability. The demo video with Arsenal v Chelsea looks very good, but we'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread