Tech Support

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Watches like that would mean that we wouldn't be allowed to wear watches in exams :/

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Actually, that's kind of cool, as long as it's cheap. I can see it being useful for travelers--time changes automatically when they change zones. Won't really work as an MP3 player unless it comes with a bluetooth earphone set because no one wants to have a earphone cable running down to their hand.

Something like this would be much more useful than a Nike+iPod, imo, since it could potentially do other things (such as double over as a heart rate monitor).

Of course, who am I kidding? If Apple even releases something like this, it will be another half-assed device from a feature standpoint.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Of course, who am I kidding? If Apple even releases something like this, it will be another half-assed device from a feature standpoint.

But lots of people will still buy it, mainly because it's from Apple. Even if they don't need it, they'll still get it. Of all the people who bought iPad's, how many actually have a use for them and use them regularly? I imagine that number is quite small. Bet you there's an iPad out there sitting in someone's house gathering dust.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Typing on my iPad right now, haha. I use mine regularly to browse the web, watch videos, and even edit documents on the fly. I know lots of people who use them for professional reasons; the music apps are just SO good for it. Some of my friends started like a fusion group and they all have iPads and I'm not sure what exactly they do with it but they say that it has never been any easier to go to a gig and perform. Lots of people use them while talking to clients, showing them photos on the screen and what not.

The iPad is a good device. It would not have sold, what, 4 million units or something so quickly if it wasn't. Sure Apple's brand name helped but the product delivers.

The next revision will be even better, with retina display, 2 cameras, and teh whole kit and kaboodle.

sachin_rocks

International Cricketer
Typing on my iPad right now, haha. I use mine regularly to browse the web, watch videos, and even edit documents on the fly. I know lots of people who use them for professional reasons; the music apps are just SO good for it. Some of my friends started like a fusion group and they all have iPads and I'm not sure what exactly they do with it but they say that it has never been any easier to go to a gig and perform. Lots of people use them while talking to clients, showing them photos on the screen and what not.

What is it that you can't do on a small screen tablet?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
The only real 'tablet' that was out there at the time the iPad was released, at least the only decent one (to my knowledge) was the iPod touch. The screen is too small.

Plus you have access to hundreds of thousands of apps through the app store.

sachin_rocks

International Cricketer
Asus Eee PC T91 and Fujitsu p1510d are good and both can run windows and linux and other oses so it has huge library of applications much bigger than app store!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
But lots of people will still buy it, mainly because it's from Apple. Even if they don't need it, they'll still get it. Of all the people who bought iPad's, how many actually have a use for them and use them regularly? I imagine that number is quite small. Bet you there's an iPad out there sitting in someone's house gathering dust.
Yeah, I didn't say no one would buy it. Just that from a feature perspective Apple is going to sell you short and make up for it with an aggressive marketing campaign. They're pretty good at doing it, in fact, which is why non-Apple fans get so frustrated when the, on average, less-technical Mac fanbase starts talking up their device.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
The iPad is a good device. It would not have sold, what, 4 million units or something so quickly if it wasn't. Sure Apple's brand name helped but the product delivers.

If a product sells that quickly, there is no way anyone can claim it is a good product. All the people who pre-ordered it / bought it first week / first month, make up a majority of the total sales. That means, the product is untested, and people are purchasing only because of the brand name, and on the basis of their previous products, and the company's claims of how the new product will deliver.

No doubt, the iPad is an exceptionally built product, but how much of that built actually transforms into utility is a question, of which I am still trying to search for answers.
Yes, it is a useful gadget to have when you're relaxing on the couch and couldn't be bothered to hold a laptop/netbook because of its form factor, and you quickly sift through the web-pages, but I'm sure 4 million people didn't buy it for that reason.

If the iPad was capable of being a standalone device, I would have voted it the device of the century, for possibly starting another revolution, but to the contrary, being standalone is a far off statement! It needs "iTunes" to put anything on it.

I hope it is copied by some good manufacturer, and put to good use.

I respect Apple for being innovative, but it lacks enterprise. Remember, the computer was made what it is today by Apple; It also invented the mouse.
Had it been a more enterprising organization, I can't see why it couldn't ever control a worthy market share. Look at Microsoft, look at IBM. Both are pioneers in their respective fields, and are still very much the market leaders. (Can't say that's completely true about IBM, especially after it sold the PC division to Lenovo, but, to be fair, PC was never its area, but nevertheless, compared to Apple, it is still far ahead.)

PS: I'd like to add an exception of the iPods, which have completely dominated the mp3 player market. Also, iPhone to certain extent, because they have a large market share, and a potential for a lot lot more, but I don't think that potential will ever be completely fulfilled.

That ends my rant about Apple. I hope it is taken in a positive sense rather than negatively.
@Rohit, sorry for quoting you, but that provided a good starting point to lend my views on it.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I'm with you. If the iPad featured a stripped down version of OS X instead of the crippled iOS, I'd be first in line to buy it. I think the form factor makes it a very interesting device but crippling it with a mobile operating system is dumb.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I'm with you. If the iPad featured a stripped down version of OS X instead of the crippled iOS, I'd be first in line to buy it. I think the form factor makes it a very interesting device but crippling it with a mobile operating system is dumb.

There has been planning put forward to the FCC is it? I'm not good with organisations.

It shows the screen perched into, say, a laptop. A keyboard and everying, and it runs full OS X.

Once the screen is detached, its basically and iPad running iOS.

If I'm honest, I'd love this idea! I've no reason for a full OS system from Apple or Windows, the tablets that run pretty much Windows I find to be useless. I want an OS that has the main features, which are the Internet, Music and Video. I'd also like the option to add the like of Microsoft Office/iWorks but in a stripped down version ofcourse.

I'd get an iPad for University to use instead of paper during presentation, but its mightily expensive for a thing which would otherwise be useless.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
It also invented the mouse.
No they didn't. Like everything, Apple only get the marketing right on things, there is very little true innovation. Apple deserve credit for being able to do so on so many things, but few if any things Apple are credited for are genuinely new, they are just good at tying things together.

Users who are viewing this thread