RIP World Cup Super League 2020-23 (World Cup Qualifier Jun 16 - Jul 9)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Great work from Netherlands, fancied them if they were chasing today and they didn't disappoint. Great achievement with so many big names missing.

Scotland have been great too. Hopefully Chris Sole gets some franchise cricket otherwise we might not see much of him again (World T20 a big chance for Scotland to qualify though). I can see Brandon McMullen getting a county deal, dibbly dobbler who can bat; would make a very good number six or seven and a fourth or fifth bowling option in England.

Add it to the automatic qualification Netherlands got into the T20 World Cup and they look to consistently be the top associate and arguably better than a couple of the full members.

Good case that the ODI Super League has succeeded by giving an associate opportunities to play better teams, they've then gone on to get experience into a lot of raw players and have now gone onto get them into the World Cup.

A great tournament. I'm sure the World Cup proper won't be as good. :lol

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Exactly my thoughts, this was another roller coaster end. I am sure the WC is going to lull lol!

Zimbabwe has hosted such good qualifiers year after year... I cannot wait for a competitive Zims, Scots and Netherland.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great work from Netherlands, fancied them if they were chasing today and they didn't disappoint. Great achievement with so many big names missing.

Scotland have been great too. Hopefully Chris Sole gets some franchise cricket otherwise we might not see much of him again (World T20 a big chance for Scotland to qualify though). I can see Brandon McMullen getting a county deal, dibbly dobbler who can bat; would make a very good number six or seven and a fourth or fifth bowling option in England.

Add it to the automatic qualification Netherlands got into the T20 World Cup and they look to consistently be the top associate and arguably better than a couple of the full members.

Good case that the ODI Super League has succeeded by giving an associate opportunities to play better teams, they've then gone on to get experience into a lot of raw players and have now gone onto get them into the World Cup.

Can’t help but imagine how much better their side gets once they get their frontline pace attack back, does van Beek even play?
Post automatically merged:

Exactly my thoughts, this was another roller coaster end. I am sure the WC is going to lull lol!

Zimbabwe has hosted such good qualifiers year after year... I cannot wait for a competitive Zims, Scots and Netherland.

The IPL was boring for like 70% despite so many close finishes and the WC will be even worse without the same competitiveness, mo doubt.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Can’t help but imagine how much better their side gets once they get their frontline pace attack back, does van Beek even play?
Post automatically merged:

The IPL was boring for like 70% despite so many close finishes and the WC will be even worse without the same competitiveness, mo doubt.
I'd say he's as good as van der Gugten, Glover, Snater. De Leede is a good third seamer so if they want more spin he might miss out. If Ackermann and van der Merwe come in they can both bowl spin too though.

Klaassen and van Meekeren would probably be the two I'd pick ahead of him.

Bevab

Staff Member
I'd say he's as good as van der Gugten, Glover, Snater. De Leede is a good third seamer so if they want more spin he might miss out. If Ackermann and van der Merwe come in they can both bowl spin too though.

Klaassen and van Meekeren would probably be the two I'd pick ahead of him.

I’m not sure if van der Merwe plays, he hasn’t played any List A game since 2021. Don’t think his batting is good enough either for an all-rounder spot.

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
So... what's the new heirarchy of the non top-8 ODI teams? Ireland seem to be worse than likes of Scotland or Netherlands at the moment. Also lost to Oman.
West Indies has failed to qualify for two consecutive ICC tournaments. Surely they are no longer a top-10 team now.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I’m not sure if van der Merwe plays, he hasn’t played any List A game since 2021. Don’t think his batting is good enough either for an all-rounder spot.
He was in the squad in March, might not have played because they knew he wouldn't be at the qualifier. I'd take him, probably their best spin bowler and if not a top seven batter would be a handy number 8.

Bevab

Staff Member
He was in the squad in March, might not have played because they knew he wouldn't be at the qualifier. I'd take him, probably their best spin bowler and if not a top seven batter would be a handy number 8.

Wasn’t aware of that. I’d say Rippon is their best spin bowler but I doubt he plays for them ever again.

The Dutch if they can play aggressively like today have a team that can surprise you. Would love to see them become a full member without the test requirement like they’re wishing for.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
So... what's the new heirarchy of the non top-8 ODI teams? Ireland seem to be worse than likes of Scotland or Netherlands at the moment. Also lost to Oman.
West Indies has failed to qualify for two consecutive ICC tournaments. Surely they are no longer a top-10 team now.
ICC rankings (which are obviously flawless) has Netherlands ranked 15th below Nepal, Ireland, Scotland, Zimbabwe and West Indies. They've beaten four of them at this tournament.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
I remember people saying that last year when he had one of the best Asia Cups we've ever had, and folks were like 'no way the T20 World Cup is as good as this' and then it was even better.

Have faith. I am of the firm belief that bottom-rung teams are far more competitive now than they ever were before. I'm sure the upcoming World Cup is going to be B-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Users who are viewing this thread