Your Cricket Road to the Top- My Battle for Professional Cricket

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Okay we'll I know this might be more applicable in the stories subforum but no one goes on there so I might as well keep it to myself! Anyway this is basically where I will be posting in a way a 'story' of my climb from "Can't be selected for Gauteng' to, hopefully, "International cricketer".

First let me give you the ranks in or system:
School cricket.
NSSSC cricket/ Area cricket.
Far North (Was originally Area until I moved to U10)
Gauteng North (Each year there is a festival where the Far North side competes and whoever doesn't make Gauteng goes to the trials for Gauteng North).
Gauteng.
After Gauteng I am not sure.

So I guess I might as well summarize what's happened so far:

I've played cricket since I was 2. Yet I was never any good until my family moved houses to an estate which has a cricket net at the park. I was 8 years old when I moved and I still didn't know how to bowl. When we first moved my dad and I would go everyday and practise. After a while we realised that our estate's net was rubbish so we started going to my school's nets. Immediately I improved and a suddenly became half-decent!So now for my school career so far:
U9 isn't important except for the fact that my coach decided that I was to be a opening batsmen and a left-arm quicky. I made Area (Far North) that year despite that being the same year I learnt how to bowl. U10 I basically scored squat until the last game of the season. We were unbeaten so far and we came up against the best school in our district. We needed 120 runs in 20 overs and we were 4/4. My mate and I put on a 96 run partnership until he was bowled for 30. I was on 49 and I was sweating my ass off! The bowler ran in and give me a half volley outside off stump so I threw my bat at it! I always told my friends that I meant to hit it for 6 but in truth it was a mis-hit . So I scored my first 50! I made Area again and didn't score anything. U11 was the same us U10 except that in the last game I scored 76 and the same guy got 39 as we added an 110 run partnership yet we lost... again. I made Far North this year but I didnt make Gauteng North. I will not talk about U12/U13 as my coach waisted 2 years of my life batting me 9 and not bowling me. However I made Gauteng North that year (God knows how) and I managed 47 against Gauteng West!

NB: I didnt talk about bowling as no coach bowled me long enough for me to get my rhythm and pick up wickets. My best figures are like 4 wickets for 3 runs or something.

So I wont post this years first season cause if you're still reading this then it was quite a long read! I'll post it maybe tomorrow and my writing might be vague but so far those years aren't very important and I promise I will get more in depth once I get up to date!

Thanks everyone for reading! You guys can comment on my writing or my actual cricket if you want to :wave.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
So anyway thought I post here again! Played 5 games so far and these are my batting stats:
4 (4) (50 over game) (Club)
0 (4) (T20) (School)
28* (8) (T20) (School)
27 (15) (35 over game) (School)
114* (60+-) (T20) (School)

So my season went from extremely poor to scoring my first ton! Now to break down each game...

1st match I was playing grown men who clubbed me around when I was bowling and when I batted I faced the fast bowler in U16 South Africa (I'm in U14 so remember that!). 2nd game I just played a stupid shot, one of those slow, medium bowlers who dont really do much so I tried to take him on... and i got caught, picked up 2 wickets and 2 chances in the bowling though. The 3rd game was really a waste of time, bowled the team out for 35, it was one of those schools who share kit so it wasnt a challenge, I went out and hit about 20 in the first over, won the match with a six just before it started to rain! The 4th game was an unlucky game, I was batting so well till I got given out for an edge but I didnt touch it, well that happens but I still picked up 2 wickets and we won by 180 runs. Now the last game! We batted first after I lost the fourth consecutive toss :facepalm Well after 14 overs my team was on 80-0 and thats when I decided that I'll go for it and I smash every bowler to the fence, or team went from 80-0 after 14 to 170-1 after 20 so I was really on fire, the other guy got out around the 15th over so I had all the strike at the end and I made it count! Scoring my first ton was a great feeling especially since this was the school I got a duck against! I also captained the school and we were unbeaten! Picked up 3 wickets in that match as well so it was a good day!

Now all I have left is a couple of club matches and then that'll be it till January which is disappointing to say the least. The last 2 months have resulted in me having 7 different bats and cracking 4 of them! Ended up having to get a Short Handle because I hit the ball to hard for a harrow (take that as a compliment)! Hopefully I can carry on my good form on Sunday and hopefully score my second ton in a row!

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Well if it doesn't work out for you in South Africa you could always cross the border to Zimbabwe and try your luck there I suppose :p

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
Picked up this season from where I left off! Got a couple of 20s and 30s (2) but then came the 2nd year of top runscorer in my school!

68(50) *
Against our rivals, had to use a runner as I hurt my back and only chasing 99 it wasnt a challenge.

109(120)
My friend and I put up a 150 run stand for the first wicket and I played my best knock to date, batted with control and showed real promise this season!

143*(51)
:D
Talk about records! One of the fastest fifties, fastest hundred and about 10+ sixes! Sadly I missed out on 150 as my friend hogged the last few overs...

68 (60-70)

Wish I could talk about this game, yet I was sick and couldnt even count to ten. Still scored 68 and this was the first game I can remember me actually having a decent pull(only thing i do remember!)

Sadly I hurt my back and couldnt bowl this season which sucks as I reckon I could of picked up 15-20 wickets!

Well wish me luck for the off season where I play for adults and 1st team players!

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
Well the club season ended early, got a 20 something against grown men as it closed for the winter. I also managed to make some Sandton team (aslong as I can reach lvl2 in the yoyo test... Yea i dont know what that means either) but thats not really my priority. With this team there will be a cricket week where they choose the Gauteng team so thats what im aiming at, still nice to make the team.

Good news is I have started bowling! Not ready to bowl full pace but I picked up a wicket at trials...

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
So I thought I might as well update this fricken thing. Not going to get too into it as I'll have an essay but here is what happened afterwards:

Made Sandton A side
Coach didnt like me
Was a big prick to me
Ruined my batting
Batted me at 8 after I scored a 50 (second highest score in the team was 30) at 5
From the pavilion shouted at me cause the captain decided to let me bowl as the other team needed 4 runs off 30 overs with 9 wickets left
Played the whole cricket week at 8 and wasnt allowed to bowl (even though I could and was bowling well)
Came back to school cricket with my whole game ruined (I literally couldnt drive a ball, not like I struggled or something but I physically couldnt drive)
Struggled
Played some club cricket
Struggled
Spent 3 months rebuilding my whole fricken technique cause someone ruined it *cough*
And ended the season with 7 wickets for my club against grown men (7/38 but there was that typically fat guy who hit me for 24 in the first over but that was the plan)

So yea. 7/14 (38) to end a season where my area coach wouldnt let me bowl with a bowling average under 10 (including my school bowling). On the bright side its a new season with a much better technique and determination to score. Lets all pray I can get some good luck this term...

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is relatable even if it sounds a mite exaggerated.

Made Sandton A side
Coach didnt like me
Was a big prick to me
I used to be this guy - as a 6' 5" quick bowler, I used to be invited to loads of trials, but as someone who lives in the north of the county I was never actually picked for much.

there was that typically fat guy who hit me for 24 in the first over
And now I'm this guy - I'm not that fat but I'm certainly not fast bowler fit any more, and quite enjoy clubbing medium pacers back over their heads.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
Alas. It's time to update this thread once again and mind you there's no upside.

A terrible season mixed with random decisions, attempting to represent a different school and straight up disappointment.

It started how I left off, no form no technique and my confidence at 0. I struggled and after 5 games my scores were around (but not exactly)

But that's not the point. At this stage I was happy. My 19 that I scored was when I walked in at 35/5 and me and my friend made a near 50 run partnership until I expertly cut a ball to backward point, in the air (I still can't cut on the ground). But the point was in that 19 I batted well. For those brief 19 runs I was in control, working a bunch of 20 year old (they seemed 20 atleast) Afrikaans men around like I did 4 years ago when I played Gauteng North. At the end of that match I was the leading run scorer for my First Team (Yes I'm playing first team not a big deal and yes me being the highest run scorer is embarrassing but you'll understand later) and guess what, my coach dropped me. Well being the independent man I was I was absolutely pissed. Never in my life had I been so upset in my life. What annoyed me most was how it unfolded. After a piss poor practice (My school's practices are a waste of time) the coach called me behind, I thought I'd be told I need to stop stuffing around at practice (Yes I chirped and stuff but at least I made the practice worthwhile) but NO him and the second team coach (who knows nothing about cricket which I'll bring up later) tried to tell me they wanted to groom me as a leader and wanted me to lead the 2nd team in one match which I said no (politely) because I had captained many teams before and I knew how to do it (politely) but they insisted until my coach gave up and said you're playing. THEN the 2nd team coach told the 2nd team captain to 'slot me in around 6' in a T20 game which the captain (who's my friend) laughed and said I'd bat wherever I wanted to bat (good friends are important kids). I know this seems arrogant-ish but stay with me. So on the day I wasn't even captain (shocking) and I scored 2 as I didn't sleep the night before (I was really mad and I cried a lot a tiny bit) and then after my coach said I would 1 game ONLY he dropped me again. I didn't even respond I just left. At this point I started asking friends at other schools to see if I could play for them and it was sort of happening before my dad said I couldn't get lifts to practices and he didn't think it was possible. I didn't end up playing the second game for the 2nds but I did play firsts (Got a half volley that hit my helmet and the top of my handle... talk about luck). And then came the T20 tournament to end the season.

Here are my scores / bowling figures:

6 and 3/10
56 (30) and 2/4
45* (19) and 1/10
3 and didnt bowl
2 and 0/18 ( dropped catch that went for 6)

So to break it down. First game I was still dejected and didn't want to play. Bowled well (wait for it). 2nd game I was 'verbally fighting' against their captain which motivated me to do well and I scored a fifty for the first time in 6 months! Bowled well again (wait for it). 3rd game we were chasing 60 and there was lightning close by so we had to finish it off quickly. 4th game the captain decided I wasn't a bowler (Flip that guy sometimes pisses me off) and I got the biggest inside edge of my life, when I walked off the opposition captain said and I quote 'Unlucky man, biggest inside edge I've seen'). So LBWed for 3 and the last game I bunch a ball through the covers, went through the fielders legs, called a single, when I was halfway down the non striker called no so there was my tournament. The two fielders in the deep collided and dropped the catch off my bowling which resulted in the guy smashing me for some more sixes. And that was my season.

In terms of wanting to leave here are the reasons. My school refuses to build new nets even though we are swimming in money. Our pitch is absolutely appalling (I have a video of it but it's on my phone and it's too big to upload I think). We won't higher any cricket coaches. Our two other coaches besides the main one have never played cricket in their lives. Our captain doesn't know what he's doing and despite everyone in the team asking for a new captain our coach refuses. I know I sound a little bit like a brat but I go to a school that costs a lot of money to attend and pumps money into everything but cricket and it is my passion as well as having a school 20 minutes from me with great facilities, coaches and they play in a good league. On the bright side I've improved my technique and mental game a lot and hopefully this season can bare fruit (or I'll die from starvation)...

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
Well to update this. I don't like that coach, I really don't like him. He's pretty much ruined my batting, can't get past 10. I've converted to a left arm off spinner and it's working well for me. Average under 20 with the ball. But man I wish I could go back to when I was 14 and figure out what I was doing with the bat. Made a decent knock to end the season (about 20 off 50 on a dog pitch, highest score I think) which gave me confidence but I really need to start scoring to get back into the provincial talks. Also would help if I was fit but we'll get there.

Might as well add that our school has hired some more coaches (and apparently the one is pretty good). Hopefully nets and a sight screen (I'm colourblind so a red ball with a green background doesn't mix well, I mean it does but that's not the point) are next.

Users who are viewing this thread