~~Signing youth Players and my general game knowledge~~

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not really. Get a youth averaging around 50-60 in second team, technique him until he is around 27, and then they start to average 100+ when batting in second team. 3 of my current Domestic team starters average 100+ in second team consistantly, 2-3 others when in good form.

Bowling is odd. Even in form, my bowlers average only around 13-16 in Second team. And these bowlers have all played for England!

ClemHardy

School Cricketer
Any of you guys got any coaching tips.

How long should you leave them ni the 2nd team for?

I know that the younger they are the more likely they will benefit but I have left guy in the 2nd team with batting technical coaching for whole seasons are the coaching effects have been 0%!

Anyone got any ideas as to best way to effect coaching?

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
You wont see any coaching effect % from technique, its more of a long term thing.

Lanceknight

School Cricketer
On this game, if u r buyin youth players, how do u tell a good one?

~ Salary wanted? - The higher the better (at least around 24000), but it has to correlate with his average. I've seen batsmen who avg 40 in the second team demand 25000.
~ Competition to sign him? - Sort of, but not a very good indicator IMO
~ Bowling?batting average - Very important to me. I'm suspicious of players who average (say a batsmen who averages above 55 ) who still demand a low salary
~ Matches/ age ratio? - Not really.

In the case of batsmen, I also look at the kind of scores they've had with the second team. For instance, I check if the bloated average is not due to a few not-out innings, which might affect the player perception.

Once u have signed a good player how do you coach him?

~ Batting/Bowling Technique? - Yes
~ Batting/Bowling Coaching? - No
~ Added physio (to prevent burnout)? - Yes, keep him fit.

I feel that physio is the most valuable service available, some say tht coaching is necessary but, can u coach if the player is injured or low in fitness? - I don't see any problem with that. Not that he's going to complain.

What age do you consider releasing a player (no matter what form or ability) As I find that value, form, national seletion and long term fitness is deeply affected after the age of 35? -
The only reason for me to release a player is if he's not performing. Age doesen't make any difference to me. Lehmann played till he was 39 and I was sad to see him go and Goodwin still is a leading batsmen for me at 38.

Be careful of offering veterans too many years on their contract, as even when they have retired, you will still have to pay the remaining salary to him over the contract period..
- Not really an issue for me...I have plenty to spend on the team.

Last edited:

Isura

Club Cricketer
Any of you guys got any coaching tips.

How long should you leave them ni the 2nd team for?

I know that the younger they are the more likely they will benefit but I have left guy in the 2nd team with batting technical coaching for whole seasons are the coaching effects have been 0%!

Anyone got any ideas as to best way to effect coaching?

I sign all youth players to 3 year contracts. They all start in the 2nd XI unless there is shortage of talent in my first XI (rare, only when a bunch of greats retire). The ones that do well in 2nd XI get a chance to play, but I also watch their 2nd XI average. Batsmen over 45 and bowlers under 18 is my typical cutoff. I rotate the technique training among the young players (under 26), but I'll keep training players with high 2nd XI averages or the very promising youth players. Say you get a guy with a 15 average, train him as much as possible until he hits 25-26 (27 for batsmen).

Users who are viewing this thread