Slingbox

Ste

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Anyone got one of these?

Got one yesterday, fantastic piece of kit! Looking forward to streaming the 4th Test today from Sky Sports straight to my PC in work or even my mobile phone!

Ste

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
A Slingbox is a device that allows you to stream content from your cable (e.g. Virgin Media), satellite (e.g. Sky Digital) or personal video recorder (e.g. Sky+) to a remote device. For more: Slingbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would be brilliant if you have a use for it. Me, my mobile phone isn't good enough really to stream decent video and my college computers would never be good enough to let me sling to them. Have fun, though, Ste, your work rate will no doubt drop now!

Ste

Executive member
With 3G it works fine on my phone. Get about 300kbps stream from my slingbox to my PC in work which is watchable.

It also has built in Freeview so can get BBC1, 2, Sky Sports News etc. through it.

Ste added 1 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

I've heard of it. Perfection = Slingbox + TiVo solution.

Works great with my Dreambox DM800 which I can use for Sky HD and loads ov various channels from around Europe. The slingbox I have doesnt do HD unfortunately. My DM800 has PVR built in so I can watch recordings or copy MPEG4 video files onto the HDD and watch them anywhere over the slingbox.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've heard of a few people here getting US cable TV by actually paying for a package over there and getting a slingbox to send it here. Knowing what a rip off Foxtel is, it may well end up cheaper that way.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Not sure why this technology exists these days, with PVR's there isn't any point. If I am working I am too busy to watch TV. If I am not then I do not deserve my job. If there is anything worth watching on and I cannot watch it when its on, I just record it want watch it when I want. In fact that's how I watch TV now, I record anything that seems interesting and watch it when I have time. Certainly don't want to watch TV on my mobile phone, I can, but why would I want to, If I wanted to then I wouldn't have wasted my money on a decent big screen TV in the first place. Seems totally redundant to me. Penguins?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Kev, if you were abroad and you wanted to watch TV from home you could with a laptop and a Slingbox. It would have been handy for me, I was in Malta for the first Test against South Africa last year so missed it. If I had a Slingbox I would have seen it! It would also be handy to sling the bedroom TV to the living room, where I don't have Sky. I'm eating my dinner in my room lately because I want to watch the cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread