Software out of date

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Does anyone on here have the know-how/where-with-all to help me with a compatibility issue?

I have a really good game I bought maybe 8-10 years ago, but now I'm on Windows 7 it won't run at all. Is there a way to make it run in Windows 7? I googled for a solution, typed in a question on some site or other and a message told me someone would SELL ME a solution! I'm not paying someone for a solution that I could a) get for free, b) wait for a decent version and buy it for as much/little and c) I don't know whether it is going to work nor do I know if solution provider is trustworthy.

It was a really good version, the only way I can use it is on a different PC. To me Windows 7 sucks, too much like hard work and all my old software is either incompatible or I've had to upgrade. I did try finding the same software compatible with W7 but no joy thus far, it was a game I picked up when shopping and proved well worth the tenner I paid

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
a message told me someone would SELL ME a solution!
If that site was perchance 'experts exchange', just scroll past the 'subscribe to see the answer' and you'll get it.

For the answer to your question, it depends how old the game is. For some older games the solution may well just be running an older operating system in a virtual machine, or for really old games, DosBox. Other ones you can often use compatibility mode settings to get games to run, and some games you can download updates to work with more modern computers.

I was fairly lucky, only one of my day to day programs needed effort to work on Win 7, but it is fine now. Haven't tried too many games though, but I had my share of ones that didn't work on XP anyway.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Which game are you trying to run?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
You could try to run it through XP mode if your mobo supports virtualization but playing a game on a virtual machine probably won't be that much fun. That said, if the game is 8-10 years old, maybe it won't be that much of an issue.

Also, what behavior does it exhibit? Does it just not open or does it pop up an error message? Or something else?

Owzat

International Coach
Thanks all for trying to help.

I can't remember the site, I just googled a site that looked like it might be free advice and it wasn't

The software is "galaxy of games" for (originally) windows 98, a set of six card games including Hearts, Spades, Bridge, Cribbage and possibly Euchre and Pinochle, which stopped working in vista, well at least one of the two games I use didn't work. The games are Bridge and Crib that I play from time to time, very good versions and I'd rather not have to try a different version as it might not be as good.

As for the message, it basically won't run the CD-Rom saying it is 32 bit running in a 64 bit machine (or something like that) I installed the software on a different and copied it onto a memory stick but it still wouldn't run. I've heard of running it in virtual environments but wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

Thanks again for trying to help

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India

Owzat

International Coach
Thanks, that looks a likely winner. Apparently my PC doesn't support it, but I'm going to try and change my BIOS settings. I'm not keen on doing it, but I guess it's worth a try and I should be able to undo.

Owzat

International Coach
I'm not sure I can do the official Windows solution, while I've sorted out the BIOS settings, their website says I need professional to download it and I have only premium 64 bit. Unless someone can tell me it will work if I download the professional version and that message is only an attempt to sell something.

Otherwise I'll try the other way, although I'd appreciate it if someone tells me how it works in terms of whether it is just a window within windows, like running an emulator in lower resolution or what exactly. Or would I need to reboot my PC to switch back to windows 7? I did briefly read what the bloke said regards Digiex but some of it would probably only make sense to me in trying it and I want to get my head around some of the finer mechanics of it.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I'm not sure I can do the official Windows solution, while I've sorted out the BIOS settings, their website says I need professional to download it and I have only premium 64 bit. Unless someone can tell me it will work if I download the professional version and that message is only an attempt to sell something.

Otherwise I'll try the other way, although I'd appreciate it if someone tells me how it works in terms of whether it is just a window within windows, like running an emulator in lower resolution or what exactly. Or would I need to reboot my PC to switch back to windows 7? I did briefly read what the bloke said regards Digiex but some of it would probably only make sense to me in trying it and I want to get my head around some of the finer mechanics of it.
Like I said in my earlier post, Windows XP Mode is only available for download if you have a license for a Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate version of Windows 7. The reason for this is that XP still falls under the licensing window (you still need a license to use XP) whereas that may not be true of Windows 98, any more. Effectively, Microsoft has decided that if you have a Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate license, you are allowed to use XP in a virtual environment. So if you don't have either of those, your best bet is to follow the second link I suggested.

With regards to behavior, a virtual machine is basically emulating a completely different computer within a Window of the host OS. So, in this case, you would be running Windows 98 within a window in Windows 7 using the Virtual PC 2007 software. Virtual machines allow you to save state--meaning that you can install something, shut down the virtual machine, turn it on again and have what you installed still there. Given that your target OS is Windows 98 (a pretty old OS without heavy operating requirements and a small HD footprint) and your host OS is Windows 7, I'd say you should comfortably be able to run it in your set-up. The VM window can also be maximized so it looks like you are using the target OS, whereas going back to Windows 7 will be as simple as closing a window.

Hope this helps.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Don't most of those card games come with Win 7 anyway? I haven't had trouble running anything on Win 7, not even games as old as No One Lives Forever. Hell, even 'Kingpin' worked, and that didn't want to work on Win XP.

Owzat

International Coach
Don't most of those card games come with Win 7 anyway? I haven't had trouble running anything on Win 7, not even games as old as No One Lives Forever. Hell, even 'Kingpin' worked, and that didn't want to work on Win XP.

They put standard card games on windows, but the Galaxy of Games Win98 version of Bridge and Crib were just so easily accessible, decent difficulty levels and testing enough (more so than most human opponents) It's just one of those things, like my preferred footy management game is Championship Manager 2006 (still), because the game plays at a decent pace, it is the most enjoyable and is demanding enough not to be too easy. For variety I simply set myself different challenges, but even if I took over Liverpool, loaded my team with some of the best players in the world (according to that game) I still wouldn't be guaranteed to win the league or cups. Some of my best achievements in CM06 and CM07 still rank below and I've not achieved them so many times

Won all available trophies

Once in CM06 with Liverpool, once in CM07 with Liverpool

Promotion from Championship and won Premiership at first attempt

As BRIGHTON in CM06. As Wolves in CM07, won the League Cup and FA Cup as a Championship side, then won the Premiership, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and lost in the final of the League Cup in my first top flight season

Won SPL

As Falkirk in CM06 on a few occaisions, yet to do it in CM07

Won Premiership

As Liverpool several times on both CM06 and CM07, as Sunderland on CM06 and WATFORD on CM07. It is NEVER easy, Chelsea in particular always take some beating

I've attempted the promotion and top flight title many times, managed to do that "double" only twice. I set myself the conference to Premiership Champion in fewest seasons challenge plenty of times, usually as Accrington Stanley in CM06 as they are in the FA Cup that first season and have a low capacity ground (makes income lower) I've got the back to back promotions but yet to do it, it is hard to be promoted as Champions of the Conference as Forest Green Rovers are the dogs' on it, they usually go up again the next season.

So the point is, sometimes there is one version of a game or game type that is the business, others may perform the same kind of functions but are much slower, less enjoyable or have other vagrancies. CM06 is worth getting for PS2, approaching to sign (youth team) players is a good way to load up weaker teams with good players or bolster a squad without paying for players. I'd even consider putting earlier versions of windows on my PC to get GoG to work

Owzat

International Coach
I finally got round to installing the digiex wotsit, and it seems to work. I "saved the state" which I assume is basically any changes made, like it was work in excel or something.

Thanks again for your help, I would thank you (via reputation) more than just the once if I could as this is above and beyond "good post" help and deserves 10x just one click. If it can be done Sohum I'm happy to give you all my reputation points (if I have any!) for your help, I really do appreciate it more than the system could possibly reflect. It's not (just) money you've saved me, but sorted it so I can play the version which is just the best

Users who are viewing this thread