Sri Lanka in England 2011

jacobfelix

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
hmmmmm....so, from 85/0 to 95/3....a slight collapse here....now these two will have to arrest the collapse and be there till the 30th or even the 35th over so as not to spoil the good work by the openers....

8 down....What a collapse again....:lol At the 35th over mark I was expecting England to post some 310+....Good comeback by Lankans...:thumbs

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
every ODI series grates on me right now, too much after the WC. why couldn't we have done this first and reserved most of the good weather for the tests?

thank god there's only 50 more overs of this rubbish to go.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
why couldn't we have done this first and reserved most of the good weather for the tests?

My personal opinion is that tours should be structured so that they all culminate in the Test Series. Throw the T20's in at the start where they belong, and then the OD series and then let it all build up and finish with what should be the pinacle of a series, the Tests.

This was how it was in the 2005 Ashes (I hate to hark back to it, but it's the one series in memory where it has happened) and we had the T20's to begin with, then that tri-series (which produced some memorable results ;) ) and finally in what was possibly the greatest test series I PERSONALLY have ever watched.

The Test series between the two sides, should always be the focal point of the tour in for that, they need to be the last bits of the battle between the two. I don't think they should be put first, unless the tour is going on for so long that by the end of the tour we hit the rainy season a la the West Indies or sub-continent.

The thing with the weather in this series has been that it has affected almost every game, we had one of the brightest starts to the county season and then as soon as the Internationals came, so did the rain!

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Got to give it up for Russell Arnold! He's nowhere near giving his side up despite Lanka being virtually done and dusted. :D

Sureshot

Executive member
That's because they aren't, it's fairly even from here, especially if these two can get them to within 50. England need a wicket in the next 2 overs.

We got a decent total, 270ish, but it should have been a lot more, not the easiest to bat on. Am I the only who thought bowling first would have been better?

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
This was how it was in the 2005 Ashes (I hate to hark back to it, but it's the one series in memory where it has happened)

the india in west indies series right now was structured like this, that hasn't ignited but only because it's a mismatch and india have left some marquee players out. but yeah, I agree with you, it makes particular sense in england because with the ODIs there's only potential to lose 5 days overall and even some rain still lets them have a valid match. it can ruin a test and there's 15 days to lose. it even makes sense money wise.

match wise this aint over until mathews has gone. he is becoming a seriously good player, maybe the best under 25 year old batsman I can think of right now.

Sureshot

Executive member
Massive finish for Dernbach, good slower ball and then a perfect yorker to dismiss Malinga. You can see what the selectors have seen in him, he's bowled good yorkers before, he's quite raw and there's plenty for him to work on, but I think he's done just enough for a spot against India.

Good win and a good game, we've clearly got areas to work on, but that's a good series win against a strong side. I thought Samit was a bit meh today, but then it is hard to base him on one match in his comeback. I think the bowling unit as a whole today was pretty strong, Dernbach came back so well in those last 2 balls, that was a massive over.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Got to give credit to Cook and Dernbach there, I for once thought Dernbach was a better option for over #50 than 49, but thankfully he proved me wrong! End of a very successful two month spell for England, now comes the bigger test a fortnight from now.

The Rock

County Cricketer
So Chandimal has now sealed his spot in the ODI and t20 squad.

Owzat

International Coach
Massive finish for Dernbach, good slower ball and then a perfect yorker to dismiss Malinga. You can see what the selectors have seen in him, he's bowled good yorkers before, he's quite raw and there's plenty for him to work on, but I think he's done just enough for a spot against India.

Good win and a good game, we've clearly got areas to work on, but that's a good series win against a strong side. I thought Samit was a bit meh today, but then it is hard to base him on one match in his comeback. I think the bowling unit as a whole today was pretty strong, Dernbach came back so well in those last 2 balls, that was a massive over.

Sri Lanka had it in the bag, they needed nine an over from quite a few overs out and were sustaining that, but then Mendis and co blew it. Was a cracking game, both sides in the ascendancy at various times.

Agree re Patel, but I think England need to try and integrate someone like him, or Bopara, in the side. I can't see him being a good all-rounder, but he could be a batsman who bowls (more when there is turn) If England play it like there's some kind of control and only bring him in when there is turn then I can't see him just performing every now and then, he needs a run in the side.

Bell for me has to go, he's in the side as a top batsman but not a top ODI batsman. Top score of 35 in the series, average of 20.25 and bits n pieces scores at an SR of 69.23 is not what you want from someone they are trying to find a berth in the side for and six ain't it.

KP did little in the series, a promising 41 ended too soon making half his series runs and the big gun is not firing which is a problem if you have that going into a World Cup (players need to be picked on form not reputation or destructive ability)

Pietersen's last EIGHT 'ODI series'

vs Sri Lanka : 85 runs @ 21.25
World Cup : 131 runs @ 32.75
vs Australia (a) : 185 runs @ 30.83
vs Australia (h) : 95 runs @ 19.00
vs Scotland : 17 runs @ 17.00
vs Bangladesh : 41 runs @ 13.67
vs South Africa : 52 runs @ 17.33
vs West Indies : 80 runs @ 20.00

Only in TWO of those series did he score a fifty, and that's a total of 686 runs @ 22.87 for which anyone else would almost certainly have been dropped. In the World Cup his best score of 59 was against Ireland, he is living off reputation.

Broad was omitted, I am a bit surprised because England do like to stick with their winning side rather than try and improve it.

Dernbach did ok, but only three top order victims and not always convincing leave me thinking he maybe should be back-up. Anderson is still way too hit and miss for my liking, but he can do early damage so I guess if you're gonna have a 'wildcard' in your side it might as well be him. Still needs to work on his bowling for me, what he does when things aren't going right so he avoids those 1/91s and 0/72s. If he can get shot of those then he can average well under 30 instead of just over.

I maintain my view that the ODI and Test sides should be more separate, leaving out Bell and any that "do a job" but are nothing special in ODIs would get there. We could then have back-up for the Test team coming through via ODIs, the days of Test players doing the same job in ODIs is way back in the past. While Cook may have done a good job with the bat and England narrowly won the series, if Cook is playing more than one form of cricket how soon will he become fatigued/jaded? We have enough players who don't play Tests all the time to fit in with others just coming in for ODIs not to need to use many Test players - Morgan, Shah, Bopara, Bresnan and could extend that to Davies/Kieswetter, Shahzad, Patel, Dernbach and others. There are plenty to pick from, hell we go round in circles enough in picking them. Maybe one or two Test players like Swann are hard to not pick, but would we definitely be much weaker without Cook, Bell, et al?

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
My personal opinion is that tours should be structured so that they all culminate in the Test Series. Throw the T20's in at the start where they belong, and then the OD series and then let it all build up and finish with what should be the pinacle of a series, the Tests.

This was how it was in the 2005 Ashes (I hate to hark back to it, but it's the one series in memory where it has happened) and we had the T20's to begin with, then that tri-series (which produced some memorable results ;) ) and finally in what was possibly the greatest test series I PERSONALLY have ever watched.

The Test series between the two sides, should always be the focal point of the tour in for that, they need to be the last bits of the battle between the two. I don't think they should be put first, unless the tour is going on for so long that by the end of the tour we hit the rainy season a la the West Indies or sub-continent.

The thing with the weather in this series has been that it has affected almost every game, we had one of the brightest starts to the county season and then as soon as the Internationals came, so did the rain!

Same in the England v Saffer series after the Ashes 2009. That structure makes so much more sense, I don't understand why more series aren't built that way. It gives each series more meaning than doing it with tests first. It's the same in Aus, by the time the ODi's come around a lot of fans are a bit over it.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
This was how it was in the 2005 Ashes (I hate to hark back to it, but it's the one series in memory where it has happened) and we had the T20's to begin with, then that tri-series (which produced some memorable results ) and finally in what was possibly the greatest test series I PERSONALLY have ever watched.

Agree I loved that series and the structure. The ODIs served as a warmup not only for the players but also the fans before the main course. The structure of late has been silly, the big Test series starts off as the appetizers then you have a main course of T20s/ODIs. There is one reason for the declining interest in ODIs.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Bell for me has to go, he's in the side as a top batsman but not a top ODI batsman. Top score of 35 in the series, average of 20.25 and bits n pieces scores at an SR of 69.23 is not what you want from someone they are trying to find a berth in the side for and six ain't it.

KP did little in the series, a promising 41 ended too soon making half his series runs and the big gun is not firing which is a problem if you have that going into a World Cup (players need to be picked on form not reputation or destructive ability)

Pietersen's last EIGHT 'ODI series'

vs Sri Lanka : 85 runs @ 21.25
World Cup : 131 runs @ 32.75
vs Australia (a) : 185 runs @ 30.83
vs Australia (h) : 95 runs @ 19.00
vs Scotland : 17 runs @ 17.00
vs Bangladesh : 41 runs @ 13.67
vs South Africa : 52 runs @ 17.33
vs West Indies : 80 runs @ 20.00

Only in TWO of those series did he score a fifty, and that's a total of 686 runs @ 22.87 for which anyone else would almost certainly have been dropped. In the World Cup his best score of 59 was against Ireland, he is living off reputation.

Broad was omitted, I am a bit surprised because England do like to stick with their winning side rather than try and improve it.

Dernbach did ok, but only three top order victims and not always convincing leave me thinking he maybe should be back-up. Anderson is still way too hit and miss for my liking, but he can do early damage so I guess if you're gonna have a 'wildcard' in your side it might as well be him. Still needs to work on his bowling for me, what he does when things aren't going right so he avoids those 1/91s and 0/72s. If he can get shot of those then he can average well under 30 instead of just over.

I maintain my view that the ODI and Test sides should be more separate, leaving out Bell and any that "do a job" but are nothing special in ODIs would get there. We could then have back-up for the Test team coming through via ODIs, the days of Test players doing the same job in ODIs is way back in the past. While Cook may have done a good job with the bat and England narrowly won the series, if Cook is playing more than one form of cricket how soon will he become fatigued/jaded? We have enough players who don't play Tests all the time to fit in with others just coming in for ODIs not to need to use many Test players - Morgan, Shah, Bopara, Bresnan and could extend that to Davies/Kieswetter, Shahzad, Patel, Dernbach and others. There are plenty to pick from, hell we go round in circles enough in picking them. Maybe one or two Test players like Swann are hard to not pick, but would we definitely be much weaker without Cook, Bell, et al?

Good analysis. Not a bad idea to replace Pietersen/Bell with Bopara/Shah while the former are out of form. Can't agree about Cook, though, at least while he's going so well. Seems likely that he will lose form at some stage, but I wouldn't drop him before that happens. Plus unless you are suggesting two keeper/openers, you haven't suggested anyone to replace him.

As to the bowlers, you know Shahzad has been awful in List A this season: Dernbach has been pretty damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread