Sri Lanka in England 2011

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I actually like the decision to go with the man who's been playing FC matches regularly, has hit some runs even if a very modest amount than go for the man who's gone off to the IPL to get a bit of money.

So apparently Bopara is chosen because he played County Cricket at the start of the season, when Morgan didn't? If that is the case, does that really mean that the likes of Hildreth and Taylor never stood a chance, no matter what? That is crazy. Anything to do with Cook being Vice-Captain, by any chance?

I don't really understand the logic there. Bopara has a century and a better average than Hildreth/Taylor this season while Morgan's been in and around the team for a while plus has a century.

It had to be a toss up between the two and because Bopara has been playing more First Class cricket they're going with him. Barely crazy, even if you disagree with the hypothetical team and reasons.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Although im in the camp that firmly believes Morgan should be picked. I dont have a issue if Bopara gets in. The only gripe with Bopara is that he has been playing in Division 2 & we have seen this episode before from Bopara during 2009 & when he made the step up to international cricket vs AUS after making alot of FC runs from division 2 & smoking a weak windies attack in tests, he was then exposed by the Australians. So by giving him a chance this time, is taking a risk & going on a hunch, since i'm not sure if his technique for test level has really improved.

He could very well & smoke an Malinga-less average SRI pace attack. But when India arrives, Zaheer & co could expose him.

----------

James Anderson England have to beat Sri Lanka and India | Mail Online

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Agreed. Hypothetically, neither batsman is an unequivocal choice and in the context of the series, both batsmen should be able to do fairly well. However, with a view to the next series, Ashes memories creep in. Has Bopara fought his way back into the side or is he just getting a win by default?

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Well, Morgan's been selected now. I agree with this decision - the lad's got way more potential than Bopara. Anyone who can score 192 after almost half a year of no FC experience, deserves to get a chance.

If he can improve his Test technique during the SL series, then he would be a very dangerous customer during the India series.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I don't really understand the logic there. Bopara has a century and a better average than Hildreth/Taylor this season while Morgan's been in and around the team for a while plus has a century.

It had to be a toss up between the two and because Bopara has been playing more First Class cricket they're going with him. Barely crazy, even if you disagree with the hypothetical team and reasons.

I'll explain it to you. Bopara scored runs domestically, went to Test cricket and got found out. He returns to domestic cricket and does well and suddenly that means that he won't be found out again? That's whats crazy. We're essentially choosing between two players who both have had a chance and not taken it well enough. Whereas the likes of Hildreth are destined to never get a chance, despite being the best batsman in the Country last year.

Sure, they've gone with Morgan now, a better choice than Bopara for me. But if he does badly, does that mean we just go back to Bopara? Of course we will. Rinse and repeat, it's what gets Bell 5 chances at an England career even when he's done badly.

lewissaffin

Club Cricketer
It's a tremendous shame that James Hildreth has had a poor first month this season because he would have been the strongest candidate, had he knocked, say, 300-400 runs by now.

Eoin Morgan inspires a lot more confidence for me than Ravi Bopara so he was the correct choice.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Hildreth starting to run out of partners in the Lions game. Be interesting to see what the bowlers can do with the bat this time around. I imagine it'll be down to Shahzad to stick around, as the other three don't seem upto much, to say the least. :D

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
Well well well, hmmmmm interesting.,, lions was a very strong team!! looks like test matches are going to be little more interesting then most thought !!! and well played nuwan … this guy can fill the place of malinga… he is faster then malinga as far as I know

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Well I am waiting for ollie to post now. Seems he will say Lions were weak side huh? Sri Lanka I am supporting you this series. Englad can never be no 1. Ashes is not only series to play. Hope the lankans give this kind of fight to the english team

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Well I am waiting for ollie to post now. Seems he will say Lions were weak side huh? Sri Lanka I am supporting you this series. Englad can never be no 1. Ashes is not only series to play. Hope the lankans give this kind of fight to the english team

Realistically England should be smoking the Sri Lankans. The England batting looks way too strong on paper then the Lankan bowling.

Wheres Kulasekara?

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Gets worse for Lanka , their only impressive bowler in the Lions match sent home . Nevertheless , a good replacement in Maharoof .

Sri Lanka in England 2011: Nuwan Pradeep set to fly home | Cricket News | England v Sri Lanka 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Lions are a fine side but you are talking as if Lanka beat the England Senior team? SRL were pathetic until the last day of play , when their currently injured player Nuwan Pradeep ran through our second 'string' lineup . You off all people should be knowing how bad India's second string lineup is , be it any format ! Forgot the Zimbabwe tri series? I really dont understand how you expect the Lions to beat the Lankans ! :rolleyes Not to mention that the Lions had Woakes and Kieswetter ruled out .

----------

Englad can never be no 1. Ashes is not only series to play.

England v Sri Lanka: Ravi Bopara favourite for Test position | Cricket News | England v Sri Lanka 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

cricinfo said:
More than four months after completing England's finest achievement in many years by retaining the Ashes 3-1 in Australia, the majority of Andrew Strauss's Test squad will reconvene for the first match of summer which, if it goes well, will put England on course for the No. 1 ranking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread