NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Sri Lanka always depended on Murali and Vaas. Then they retired and it was the big 3, Sanga, Jaya and Dilshan. Dilshan is in hell of a form and if his this form continues throughout the series then its not long before he is scrapped of captaincy and he will say he resigns. Sanga post Wordl Cup or pre World Cup was the best man to lead the side. People started doubting about fixing that match as Malinga straight away after finals met Ambani.

Anyways that apart, they should bring in Upul Tharanga who has been brilliant for them in past few years for opening

So IMO

Parna guy
Tharanga
Jaywardhane
Dilshan
Sangakkara
Samaraweera
Matthews
Mendis
Kulu
Fernando
Welegedra

this should be the XI

War

Chairman of Selectors
Dam! Philander stats are insane. 3 matches, 24 wickets average 12.37 and 4 5fers!

Its got to be one the best starts in test history. That comes only one that comes to mind that is similar was Bob Massie 1972, but of course that was just one test.

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Its got to be one the best starts in test history. That comes only one that comes to mind that is similar was Bob Massie 1972, but of course that was just one test.

Didn't Mendis get 26 wickets in his first three tests?

War

Chairman of Selectors
And to think people were saying he isn't international quality, only picked because he's black to fill the quota. Makes me wonder, did they ever see him bowl, check his FC stats, or just jump up and down about him being picked over white players with less experience and worse stats?

As one of the person who did say that about Philander, i mainly saw him bowl in ODI cricket and some T20s in the Champions League and was always looked very age.

So I was very sceptical how he getting these superb FC stats and it certainly looked like a black quota selection to replace another black quota selection (Tsotsobe), before the recent Australia series over white players like Ryan McClaren and Fridel De Wet who had played tests before and performed.

But Philander has no doubt added a bit of pace to his bowling and his swinging the ball a great deal, compared to what I saw him before, so all credit to him.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^I think I was a bit like you mate. I'd seen him a couple of times in short form stuff and thought he was nothing special. Easy to be cynical of a choice, especially with the quota system around.

Also to be fair (or unfair :)) to Philander, he's had some pretty nice wickets to work with thus far. Let's see his stats after a tour of India or Australia.

venom2011

Club Cricketer
As one of the person who did say that about Philander, i mainly saw him bowl in ODI cricket and some T20s in the Champions League and was always looked very age.

So I was very sceptical how he getting these superb FC stats and it certainly looked like a black quota selection to replace another black quota selection (Tsotsobe), before the recent Australia series over white players like Ryan McClaren and Fridel De Wet who had played tests before and performed.

But Philander has no doubt added a bit of pace to his bowling and his swinging the ball a great deal, compared to what I saw him before, so all credit to him.

Correct. I've followed him a bit through out his career and there have been two major changes in Philander in recent seasons.

He always had accuracy and consistent lines which is why he has a very good fc record, but to make the next step he needed something more. His pace has been upped from around a 'Pollock' 126 Kph to around 134Kph. He also now has better seam presentation so nibbles it around more than he has ever done.

The most important change though has been in his attitude. He was always lazy and a bit of a prima donna, but he has really put his head down and worked hard in the last few seasons. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Radonx

Club Cricketer
Good move by ICC to pay players directly. God know what SLCB would have done with that money.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Something really wrong with SL. They seem to have lost the X factor after the world cup and as for South Africa, I don't know why they are picking Imran Tahir. He is already 32 and I don't think he is going to do anything great. Johan Botha is much better and he provides a lot with the bat down the order and you got Philander as well who can bat. IMO, he should be the first choice spinner.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I don't know why they are picking Imran Tahir. He is already 32 and I don't think he is going to do anything great. Johan Botha is much better and he provides a lot with the bat down the order and you got Philander as well who can bat. IMO, he should be the first choice spinner

Botha is good in shorter formats but I think they do need someone like Imran Tahir who look to take wickets. And they don't need anymore batting down the order after top 6 or 7 and as you said Philander can bat as well so why do you need anymore batting?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He always had accuracy and consistent lines which is why he has a very good fc record, but to make the next step he needed something more. His pace has been upped from around a 'Pollock' 126 Kph to around 134Kph. He also now has better seam presentation so nibbles it around more than he has ever done.

Interesting, same could be said about Copeland. Maybe he needs to do likewise.

jacobfelix

International Coach
Just now read in a newspaper that Philander is doubtful as he sustained an injury. :noway

Radonx

Club Cricketer
I thought we would play Dhammika Prasad.
So we are batting first again.:eek: This is going to be interesting.

So de Lange replaced Philander. Can we see another five-for?

Users who are viewing this thread