Tech tip: CCleaner

ArcherMcKinley

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
"CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download."

-Piriform

CCleaner lives up to its promise of making your PC faster.

It removes unused files from your system and additionally features a fully-functional registry cleaner.

Personally, I've seen a 25% boost in performance since I started using it.

Downloading CCleaner

Click on this link - then have a look at the images below, for they give you a clear idea of what needs to be done.

262v4as.png

1z2g1.png

CCleaner: Interface and Functions

35k60z6.png

This is what CCleaner looks like. It's simple and everything is pretty much self explanatory.

the Cleaner removes unwanted files from your PC. Beware though, as this includes browsing data (history, cookies, etc) and several other things that you might want to check into before clicking on 'Run Cleaner'.
Oh, and the 'Analyse' button does what it says. It analyses the amount of space occupied by unwanted files.

Analyse:

fc8fpy.png

Run Cleaner:

35015vq.png

-----

The other big feature of CCleaner is its' Registry Cleaner.

The Windows registry sits behind just about every program and application that you run on your computer. It stores all the important files, matches devices to programs and ensures that your software has the libraries of information that it needs to function correctly. So why do we need a clean registry? Surely a computer is sophisticated enough to do a little house maintenance of its own every once in a while, right? In an ideal world, yes, but in reality, this isn?t the case. We need to keep our registry clean by manually performing checks and ideally, investing in a registry scanner that can automate the process of fixing broken registry references.

So why is it so important to keep the registry clean? Most importantly, it helps to get rid of system errors and those infuriating blue screens of death that can drive a PC user to despair. It?s no coincidence that these errors become more regular after a lot of system usage. That?s mainly because we write to the Windows registry every time we install an application, or a hardware device. Each and every time the registry gets updated, there?s a chance that files and references may become corrupted.

Click on "Registry".

Then 'Scan' for errors and once that's done, 'Fix Selected Errors'.

It's advisable that you save a copy of your reg before doing so, CCleaner simplifies everything for us, by prompting a save to location dialogue.

5v97id.png

So, this brings us to the end of this "Tech tip". Did this help you any way? Would you like many more similar tips from me? And what d'ya think about CCleaner?

I'm hoping you'll reply and share your views.

Archer McKinley

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Indeed, CCleaner is a nifty tool to get rid of the junk from your computer using a single tool. I use it once a month to free up space on my PC. I am a bit careful about it modifying my registries though.

Aswin8

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i am bit scared about these BOOSTING tools....
i have used some internet boosters and system boosters...but once it corrupted the system and internet was not connecting....i made various attempts to cure it...but last i went for format

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
The Uniblue PowerSuite is better IMO. Though it uses 3 different apps, its more efficient, was better with registries.

ArcherMcKinley

School Cricketer
@Win: CCleaner is not a "boosting" tool. It merely removes junk that is slowing down your PC.

Its' registry cleaner is also quite effective and I've never found it buggy. You'll be absolutely fine using it. Trust me.

@BlitzBerg: Uniblue costs $55 and apparently has a buggy registry cleaner - or so I heard.
I'll give it a try sooner or later. But for the moment, CCleaner does the job for me.

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
I got a free 3 year license..........good to be a member of megaleecher.com, got a lot of give aways........ Also, haven't come up with any sort of problems until now.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
CCleaner is not a boosting tool... Its a super handy tool for clearing junk files in your PC. I use it everyday to clear my history, cookies, temp internet files, etc. I also use it once a week to clear bad/corrupted/invalid registry files. All this helps improve system performance. And best of all, ITS FREE!!!

Best ever computer cleaning tool to have!

ArcherMcKinley

School Cricketer
Sigh.

"...Personally, I've seen a 25% boost in performance since I started using it. "

I never meant to imply that it was a "boosting" tool. Well.. in a way it is, but technically it isn't since all it does is clean your PC.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
Here's a tip. Unless there is something wrong with your computer, don't use these so called registry cleaners. The registry is not your house. It doesn't need cleaning. Deleting invalid entries won't result in any performance improvements. They are likely to do more harm than good.

Users who are viewing this thread