The Australian Selectors Should be Shot

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think the problem is most of the greats retired all at once McGrath, Warne, Langer and Martyn all retired at the same time with Gilchrist and Hayden following on 1-2 years later.

If they retired separately i.e like Warne then the following year McGrath then it could of been a different story young players like Hughes and some new faces could of played in the team with still one of the greats in their.

I was surprised with Lee I used to think he only got Wickets because McGrath kept the other end tight, but since McGrath retired Lee stepped up and proved me wrong

Now its hard for new players to keep up the same level of expectation. That doesn't include Johnson he was in the team when the big boys where still in but now his just some how lost the plot in this series.

Yes I agree with a lot of this.

The other problem in the last year has been injuries. We've played an insane number of bowlers in particular, due to injuries or replacing those who were rested to ease workload. I think it's about 15 pace bowlers that have been used. Johnson, Lee, Clark, Bracken, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Tait - all were injured at some point or were rested for a series. Bollinger, Geeves, Laughlin, Harwood, Harris and Magoffin (as cover in SA) were the replacements. Plus McDonald and Hopes who play as bowlers really.

Then 5 spinners (Hauritz, Krejza, White, Casson and McGain) have had a go in the last 12 months. Casson was OK, but got injured before India and couldn't prove his fitness early enough (which was grossly underreported, everyone assumes he was dropped on form), then was dropped by NSW as Hauritz passed him. McGain did his shoulder before India, then got carted by SA. Krejza got 8 wickets, but can't bowl a maiden to save his life and given Johnson, Siddle and Lee's propensity for loose spells - we couldn't play him or we'd be conceding 400 runs a day. And White should NEVER have played as a spinner, but we had no choice given the lack of options.

This year the picture should clear up. There are no vital series' or tournaments to play, so guys like Hussey can be given his marching orders and bowlers can be rotated in and out with more assurance.

And guys, get over Hodge. He's not coming back... :facepalm If he couldn't make the T20 squad as the Symonds replacement, he's not getting another go unless there are injuries. It's his own fault, yes he made that 200, but after that he was continually dismissed driving away from his body. And selectors don't like guys who have a targettable weakness - hello Phillip Hughes...

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I don't think australia's spin options have been explored. As time passes the idea that they are looking to replace warne will fade and it will be more just a case of looking for the guy that can do the job. Hauritz seems ok for now but Casson has time on his side and Krejza's figures were more a product of india's attitude than his bowling. He was so tentatively put in the side, and india, fancying themselves as the best players of spin just thought "hello, here's someone they're not sure of, lets really wreck their faith in their spinners."

McGain is too old to be in the picture now but even he was handled poorly. put in the side with mcdonald and 3 other other bowlers because there was no cover for north. SA had nothing to worry about, there simply wan't have been enough batsmen to set a decent total. Plus they did the same as they did with Krejza, they hesitated and worried so much about playing him that it was hardly going to worry SA facing him.

I remember Smith talking about being sledged when he first played australia, one of the taunts was "what on earth do you think you're going to do when warne's bowling at you? you're not good enough."

which contrasts rather drastically with "oh ****, I suppose we're going to have to play this spinner guy we brought."

Haurtiz may well be the best spinner australia have, but he may just be doing well because this is the first series they've treated their spinner properly, playing him when they could have played clark or mcdonald was at least a proper show of faith.

Inbox24

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think the problem is most of the greats retired all at once McGrath, Warne, Langer and Martyn all retired at the same time with Gilchrist and Hayden following on 1-2 years later.

If they retired separately i.e like Warne then the following year McGrath then it could of been a different story young players like Hughes and some new faces could of played in the team with still one of the greats in their.

I was surprised with Lee I used to think he only got Wickets because McGrath kept the other end tight, but since McGrath retired Lee stepped up and proved me wrong

Now its hard for new players to keep up the same level of expectation. That doesn't include Johnson he was in the team when the big boys where still in but now his just some how lost the plot in this series.

Not only that but we basically got a whole different setup after the 07 World Cup:

New team
New (worse) coach
New (worst) selectors

I think a combination of the following wrecked us, if we had kept the old selectors and coach I doubt we would've seen the debacle in India, South Africa at home and this current one.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yes I agree with a lot of this.

The other problem in the last year has been injuries. We've played an insane number of bowlers in particular, due to injuries or replacing those who were rested to ease workload. I think it's about 15 pace bowlers that have been used. Johnson, Lee, Clark, Bracken, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Tait - all were injured at some point or were rested for a series. Bollinger, Geeves, Laughlin, Harwood, Harris and Magoffin (as cover in SA) were the replacements. Plus McDonald and Hopes who play as bowlers really.

Then 5 spinners (Hauritz, Krejza, White, Casson and McGain) have had a go in the last 12 months. Casson was OK, but got injured before India and couldn't prove his fitness early enough (which was grossly underreported, everyone assumes he was dropped on form), then was dropped by NSW as Hauritz passed him. McGain did his shoulder before India, then got carted by SA. Krejza got 8 wickets, but can't bowl a maiden to save his life and given Johnson, Siddle and Lee's propensity for loose spells - we couldn't play him or we'd be conceding 400 runs a day. And White should NEVER have played as a spinner, but we had no choice given the lack of options.

This year the picture should clear up. There are no vital series' or tournaments to play, so guys like Hussey can be given his marching orders and bowlers can be rotated in and out with more assurance.

And guys, get over Hodge. He's not coming back... :facepalm If he couldn't make the T20 squad as the Symonds replacement, he's not getting another go unless there are injuries. It's his own fault, yes he made that 200, but after that he was continually dismissed driving away from his body. And selectors don't like guys who have a targettable weakness - hello Phillip Hughes...

Injuries have hurt our bowling stocks, your right.

Hauritz is probably the best of the lot but he is not anything special. Krejza as you said is just too loose with Johnson/Lee/Siddle, we can't have that. White is the worst spinner of the lot, can't spin the ball 10mm and is easy to pick away at. Casson will be nothing more then a good state bowler and McGain... Do we need to talk about, McGain?

We do have the Champion's trophy this year, sifter. :p

Thank you, someone who agrees over the whole Brad Podge situation.

blake

School Cricketer
you know what I find ridiculous. All through australia's reign it was noted over and over again how even your A team was probably better than any other test nations.

Well where are these legendary players waiting to come in and demolish everyone? were McDonald, Krejza and McGain amongst them? because quite frankly not even bangladesh would bother with that lot.

Siddle, I'm beginning to have my doubts about him. Great hustle, actually I really like his attitude, but erm, wickets? Persevering with Hussey, playing watson as an opener, don't seem to have any batsmen in the touring squad, is that because no one was worth bringing? as far as I know Calum Ferguson was next in line in the batting stakes, well if he's no better than North (who is dogged but nothing more) and Hughes (who would have better technique if you broke his arms, is also dogged at best) then I don't think anyone's worried.

the best stroke maker australia have brought in in the last two years is a bowler.

I thought I just had to quote this now, proving any other opinions you might have also invalid.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Siddle's problem wasn't wickets he was the 3rd leading wicket taker heading into this test match. It was the economy, having Johnson and Siddle going at 4 an over ain't what Ponting needs. Having Clark in the attack seem to provide a better balance.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I thought I just had to quote this now, proving any other opinions you might have also invalid.

how does that prove my other opinions wrong?

and you now seriously think Krejza, Mcdonald and mcgain are good players? and that watson should be australia's permanent opener?

buy a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread