The best five test umpires of all time

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why aren't you guys including Billy Bowden in your lists? He's a great entertainer. One of the most colourful characters the game currently has. My fav umpire after Taufel, Shepherd and Koertzen.

Being a great entertainer doesn't make you a great umpire. He is a very poor umpire.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Aleem Dar all time best umpire and never mind if he gave one or two poor decisions as after all he is a human being.He is more better then taufel:happy

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I am really surprised to see David Shephard in the list. Have you ever see him umpire a match involving Pakistan. He was the most biased umpire I have ever seen in my time.
Here is my list
1. Simon Taufel
2. Aleem Dar
3.Billy Bowden
The rest fall in roughly the same standard.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
1. Simon Taufel
2. Aleem Dar
3. David Shepherd
4. Dickie Bird
5. Venkatraghavan

King Cricket

International Coach
Aleem Dar all time best umpire and never mind if he gave one or two poor decisions as after all he is a human being.He is more better then taufel:happy

Nah, Taufel is the best.

King Cricket added 4 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

I am really surprised to see David Shephard in the list. Have you ever see him umpire a match involving Pakistan. He was the most biased umpire I have ever seen in my time.
Here is my list
1. Simon Taufel
2. Aleem Dar
3.Billy Bowden
The rest fall in roughly the same standard.

Good to see that finally someone has included Billy.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
David Shepherd
Simon Taufel
David Orchard (he was pretty good..surprised more people don't have him)
Aleem Dar
Steve Bucknor

other good umpires:

Venkatraghavan (sp?)
Billy Bowden

another recent England umpire..can't think of his name!

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Dickie Bird is Don Bradman of umpires.

King Cricket

International Coach
^ The reason why I didn't include Bird in my list is that I have never seen him umpiring. Well I might have, when I was very young- but I don't remember now. I don't even remember how he looked like.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
1. Simon Taufel
2. Aleem Dar
3. Steve Bucknor
4. Rudi Koertzen

I can only choose out of the ones I have seen. Whilst Harold Bird was a legend, I can't say that he's the best I've seen because he retired before I was a fan.

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Batting For Dickie Bird

^ The reason why I didn't include Bird in my list is that I have never seen him umpiring. Well I might have, when I was very young- but I don't remember now. I don't even remember how he looked like.

Your choice is okay. I agree with your philosophy of not including somebody you have not watched Live or have not watched enough non live (highlights on TV). That is smart and clever thinking.

I never saw Dickie live. I saw my first live cricket in 1992-Pretty much watched all the important games. I saw Dickie quite a bit on Cricket DVD?s I have in my collections . He was simply awesome. He bore a stamp of authority in whatever he did. Had astonishing power of judgement. He also possessed a great sense of Humor that won him respect of many volatile players.

On the funny side Dickie once hit the news headlines by coming 5 hrs early at the ground prior to a Visit by Queen - A World record(Just Kidding!).

The rest of the guys on my list looks schoolboys(no offense intended) compared to Dickie.

Simon Taufel is the best amongst the present crop with least error of judgments.

Cheers!

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Your choice is okay. I agree with your philosophy of not including somebody you have not watched Live or have not watched enough non live (highlights on TV). That is smart and clever thinking.

I never saw Dickie live. I saw my first live cricket in 1992-Pretty much watched all the important games. I saw Dickie quite a bit on Cricket DVD?s I have in my collections . He was simply awesome. He bore a stamp of authority in whatever he did. Had astonishing power of judgement. He also possessed a great sense of Humor that won him respect of many volatile players.

On the funny side Dickie once hit the news headlines by coming 5 hrs early at the ground prior to a Visit by Queen - A World record(Just Kidding!).

The rest of the guys on my list looks schoolboys(no offense intended) compared to Dickie.

Simon Taufel is the best amongst the present crop with least error of judgments.

Cheers!

Simon Taufel has done more errors then Aleem Dar in last 3 years,thats my observation.

Users who are viewing this thread