Which was the greatest ODI game ever?

• Other (please mention)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kodos

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
aldersley said:
i still cannot believe what happend. stupid bracken dropping gibbs, drop bracken now from the squad.

So under your theory, Warne should be dropped as well because he dropped Pietersen during the Ashes when he was on 30 i think and made 158. :D Also this was the guy who picked up 5 wickets and Aus. best bowler last night.

This will have to be up there with the best. The 4th ODI was also excellent which Aus just one. Geez, there has been excellent ODI cricket in the last year.

lukedapuke

School Cricketer
I feel sorry for you Irottev, I assume you are a NewZealander by nationality yet you Support Australia and you hate it when South Africa Beats any of your two teams. I can only fathom that you support NewZealand, but know that your national team will never quite match the best so you support World champions Australia so that you can celebrate when they win(which is often). sour grapes is very sad & you are looking like a rotten vineyard!

I have to wonder who are you going to support after this match?

jacobfelix

International Coach
Actually In yesterday's match (5th ODI -SA-Aus)..I am wondering why they went on to bowl that Lewis guy for 10 overs..though he was belted and belted

MegaCale

School Cricketer
Stats really don't count much, yes they do mention something but they fail to explain the context of the match. Without quality bowling and fielding, no match will be interesting.

Huh? I think Bracken had a good bowl taking 5 for 60 odd... Isnt that quality bowling in the context of the match?

Anyways...

I think most of you guys actually miss the point here totally.

If we had brilliant bowling and fielding to match up with the incredible bassball type batting we would NOT HAVE had such a huge total to chase in the first place.

The fact that both teams capitilized on a poor bowling performance speaks for itself and the batsmen should get their due. Ponting made some fatal captaining decisions by leaving Lewis on and not bringing Gilchrist up to the stumps.

I think we should all just sit down and enjoy the moment, because face it, we most probably wont see a game like this in our lifetimes again.

irottev

School Cricketer
lukedapuke said:
I feel sorry for you Irottev, I assume you are a NewZealander by nationality yet you Support Australia and you hate it when South Africa Beats any of your two teams. I can only fathom that you support NewZealand, but know that your national team will never quite match the best so you support World champions Australia so that you can celebrate when they win(which is often). sour grapes is very sad & you are looking like a rotten vineyard!

I have to wonder who are you going to support after this match?

wow. Ok whatever. You wait till you go down in the test series against both countries. Who do you support after South Africa? Surely you like another team. I support New Zealand first and foremost. Then Australia in neutral games. I hate it when my favorite teams lose to anyone really.

My national team is a current top ODI side in my eyes The rankings show that were right up there also. SA and Australia both just proved that their bowling attacks arn't up to scratch.

I don't really celebrate when Aussies win. I just take notice. I don't know what spurred this attack either. I never said anything wrong.

Last edited:

dtrain

Club Cricketer
I think it's hard to argue against this game as being the greatest ODI of all time. Considering both sides needed to win to win the series, so it was already a Grand Final. The fact that an important Test series is coming up soon too, which ever side won was going to have the momentum going into the Test series. Also, there is the small fact that Australia scored 4/434, which is already a massive score, and then the South Africans scored 438 chasing. That is phenominal. There were so many great individual performances throughout the match too. It's just too hard to overlook.

James219

International Cricketer
irottev said:
wow. Ok whatever. You wait till you go down in the test series against both countries. Who do you support after South Africa? Surely you like another team. I support New Zealand first and foremost. Then Australia in neutral games. I hate it when my favorite teams lose to anyone really.

My national team is a current top ODI side in my eyes The rankings show that were right up there also. SA and Australia both just proved that their bowling attacks arn't up to scratch.

I don't really celebrate when Aussies win. I just take notice. I don't know what spurred this attack either. I never said anything wrong.

I know, don't really understand where that attack came from. Anyway, I agree with you there, NZ are probably the right up there as being the most dangerous ODI side at present, they've got a very well balanced side, and what looks like a formidable attack with quite a few dimensions as Bond and Vettori take up the leading roles. If Fleming begins to regain some touch, which he almost certainly will, his individual performances will reflect on the attitudes of the team unit and they'll really push the No.1 title. They're a little unfortunate in the test arena, given the poor amount of matches usually scheduled for them.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
Though I personally feel this was one of the greatest ODI ever.
There are some other ODIs which come to my mind-->

1. Aus vs WI at Gabba where Bevan hit 4 of last bowl of Harper to win the match for Aussies.
2. Pak vs Nzl world cup 92 semifinal at Auckland,where Inzi and Miandad played a blinder to help Pak reach there first ever wc final.
3. Aus vs WI again in wc 96 semi-final where Warne did all the magic in the end.

More to come...............

Darrend1234

<A HREF=http://www.planetcricket.net/forums/showth
i'd say that the australia vs south africa game yesterday was the best ever.
second would be england vs india in 2001
and third, australia vs south africa in the world cup 2003.

what a game yesterday though, i still cant believe rsa won it. i though that it was over when i started watching it with australia 400-3 or something. they should release it on dvd, like the ashes series was because it really was a great match.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think the magic sixer match was the best for just about any Pakistani. But the 1999 WC semi-final was probably the best one ever. I still voted for the 'magic sixer' match.

irottev

School Cricketer
what do you guys think about mabee a game where 30 runs played 31? Where the bowlers totally dominated the batsmen? THats the opposite of this. Everything seems to revolve around the batting. I myself perfer to see the bails fly and the fieldsmen prancing around.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Well, you need to have a combination of everything to have the greatest game. Not just a small ground, great batsmen, and pathetic bowlers, which is why for me the 1999 wc semifinal was so good. I can remember Jonty Rhodes and Klusener smashing the ball around. I can also remember Steve Waugh playing a good innings. Pollock was great that day, and who can forget the ball Warne bowled to Gibbs. Add to that, the tension and the importance of the world cup, a tied game, and one man's brilliance ended by a simply hillarious run out. Brilliant.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Miadad's game was a great classic, Speaking as a cricket fan this game yesterday was best! 400+ common, it's gotto be it. South African Team now famous, for a great force, they bring their chances for WC 2007 ?

AS a Pakistani Fan The World Cup 1992 match was best.

Last edited:

gaurav_indian

International Coach
usy said:
Miadad's game was a great classic, this game yesterday was best! 400+ common, it's gotto be it. South African Team now famous, for a great force, they bring their chances for WC 2007 ?
Don't forget India and Pakistan they have got the hardest hitters in the game
like Dhoni,Afridi,Sehwag,Razzaq.Pakistan got a well balanced bowling attack.
And surely India will match that with Munaf,VRV and Sreesanth coming good for them.

Users who are viewing this thread