SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My first pick would be... Brad Hodge

A giant at the domestic level, had a really great start to Test cricket, with a double hundred and 2 fifties at an average of 56. Sadly, he was never given the chance to play more than 6 tests. In the first class level, he made 17804 runs at an average of 48.8. Would be a great component of my team.

Next player in a minute.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
It was opener time and I had few players in mind but with more caps. I thought why not go with-

Sid Barnes
130-sid-barnes-batting-PDRR55.jpg

For players with at least 1000 runs in Test matches, Sid Barnes' average is next only to the Don and Marnus Labuschagne! I had another Australian opener in mind but his caps would not have left me with enough.

From Wikipedia: "Sidney George Barnes was an Australian cricketer and cricket writer, who played 13 Test matches between 1938 and 1948. Able to open the innings or bat down the order, Barnes was regarded as one of Australia's finest batsmen in the period immediately following the Second World War. He helped create an enduring record when scoring 234 in the second Test against England at Sydney in December 1946; exactly the same score as his captain, Don Bradman, in the process setting a world-record 405-run fifth wicket partnership. Barnes averaged 63.05 over 19 innings in a career that, like those of most of his contemporaries, was interrupted by the Second World War."

Test Caps - 33/50

:zim: :bat: Dion Ebrahim
:aus: :bat: Sid Barnes

:saf: :ar: Mike Procter
:eng: :ar: Allan Steel
:aus: :bat: Walter Giffen
:ban: :bwl: Sajedul Islam
:eng: :bwl: Monty Panesar
:sco: :x: Euan McIntyre

@blockerdave to you!

Last edited by a moderator:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Eddie-Paynter.jpg

EDDIE PAYNTER
Eddie Paynter averaged 84 vs Australia, and overall his average was 59.23 - of Englishmen, only Herb Sutcliffe stands above him. In the bodyline series, he was somewhat controversially picked for the 3rd test over the Nawab of Pataudi (pretty much dropped despite a first test century because he wouldn't field in bodyline positions). He made a 70 and an 80 in that test. In the fourth test, he was taken to hospital with severe tonsilitis, and with England in trouble at 186/5, discharged himself, took a taxi to the ground in his pyjamas and came in the next wicket down and scored 83. He was an aggressive batsman who scored quickly. His highest test score was 243 vs South Africa, one of 4 test centuries, along with 7 fifties in 31 inns.

He was also a phenomenal fielder, and even kept wicket for the second inns of the 1938 series vs Australia after Les Ames broke a finger.

For some reason he only paid 20 tests, which for the purposes of this draft I'm delighted with.

@DalePlaysCricket

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Eddie-Paynter.jpg

EDDIE PAYNTER
Eddie Paynter averaged 84 vs Australia, and overall his average was 59.23 - of Englishmen, only Herb Sutcliffe stands above him. In the bodyline series, he was somewhat controversially picked for the 3rd test over the Nawab of Pataudi (pretty much dropped despite a first test century because he wouldn't field in bodyline positions). He made a 70 and an 80 in that test. In the fourth test, he was taken to hospital with severe tonsilitis, and with England in trouble at 186/5, discharged himself, took a taxi to the ground in his pyjamas and came in the next wicket down and scored 83. He was an aggressive batsman who scored quickly. His highest test score was 243 vs South Africa, one of 4 test centuries, along with 7 fifties in 31 inns.

He was also a phenomenal fielder, and even kept wicket for the second inns of the 1938 series vs Australia after Les Ames broke a finger.

For some reason he only paid 20 tests, which for the purposes of this draft I'm delighted with.

@DalePlaysCricket
I knew he will go soon!

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England

:ind: :bat: Prithvi Shaw
:saf: :ar:Clive Rice
:ban: :bat: Mehrab Hossain
:saf: :bat:Philip Hutchinson
:eng: :ar:Glen Chapple
:usa: :bat: Aijaz Ali
:eng: :bwl:Mason Crane
:ban: :bwl: Rubel Hossain

Innings: 7
Not Outs: 1
Aggregate: 335
Highest Score: 134
Average: 55.83
50s: 2
100s: 1
200s: 0
300s: 0
Ducks: 0
Pairs: 0
4s: 48
6s: 2
Balls Faced: 388
Scoring Rate 86.34
Opened Batting: 7

Test Caps: 4/50

@ahmedleo414

Last edited:

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My Next pick goes to Charles Albert George "Jack" Russell

CAG_Russell.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|Batting Ave|100s/50s|Top Score
First-Class|437|27,354|41.57|71/136|273
Test|10|910|56.87|5/2|140

A little bio from cricinfo:

"Charles Albert George "Jack" Russell, who died in Whipps Cross Hospital on March 23, aged 73, was the first English batsman to hit a century in each innings of a Test match. This he did against South Africa at Durban in 1923 when he scored 140 and 111 and played a leading part in England's rubber-winning victory by 109 runs. The performance was the more remarkable because Jack Russell, as he was generally known, had,Wisden recorded at the time, to battle against illness; when he started his second innings he ought to have been in bed rather than on the cricket field."

Test Caps used: 10/50

My Team:

1. :eng: :bat: Charles "Jack" Russell (10 caps)
2. :aus: :bat: Wally Edwards
6. :pak: :bat: Nawaz Sharif
7. :nam: :ar: Wilbur Slabber
8. :zim: :bwl: Brian Vitori
9. :sri: :bwl: Ajit de Silva
10. :eng: :bwl: Don Shepherd (0 caps)
11. :eng: :bwl: Allan Jones (0 caps)

@Aislabie you have the next pick sir

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread