Things I've learned from batting

rowe

School Cricketer
Share your own! Note that I might be wrong about some of these, I'm not the best player so welcome any corrections / suggestions

1. Against spin, sit deeper into your crease. You can sit back / go forward just like you can adjust your position left and right - this helps reduce the chance of a stumping dramatically.

2. Don't play shots anywhere near Silly or Point when they're in place. You will get caught unless you hit ideal timing every time.

3. Patience. The confidence meter can shoot up pretty fast, but there seems to be a hidden improvement in quality shots when you pass 50, even better after making 100, so save the big shots for when you notice boundaries happening way more after these milestones

4. If you're using the fielding radar, still have a look around the park. The gaps between fielders are often bigger than they seem on the radar and well timed shots will get through.

5. If you're forwards in your crease, you can get stumped from even leaving the ball. What's more, leaving the short ball that's in line with your batsman doesn't always result in them ducking, and I've even been dismissed to a ball that hit my head and dropped and rolled back onto the stumps. I honestly think just doing nothing is better than leaving most of the time although it doesn't look as good - leaving needs a bit of a fix imo.

6. On clinchers, don't always simulate the striker; by watching the delivery, you can decide to just take a single and get back on strike, which is essential if your partner is in the tail and not reliable.

7. Back foot shots are trash and will get you dismissed (or more likely I'm a bad player)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread