Time to upgrade...

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys!

Long time no see. It's time to upgrade my ageing GPU - it won't run Fifa 17 and that is not an acceptable situation! So, with a budget of £100 - £150 (I might stretch to £200), what would you suggest? I'm thinking Nvidia as AMD/ATI has given me no end of issues. Specs in my sig.

The Fifa 17 demo crashes on start up and CanYouRunIt says my PC doesn't meet the minimum specs :noway (I always knew the GPU was the weak link, but thought it would see me through another couple of Fifas...)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm unsure about pricing in the U.K but going through Amazon UK - AMD RX 470 is around £200 which is a pretty good card and should max out FIFA 17. The card performs exceptionally well and is able to run pretty much every latest AAA title on high/very high with a good framerate. And should even be future-proof.

On the Nvidia side, the new range of cards based on their new architecture GTX 1060/70/80 are impressive. According to your necessity I think a GTX 970 should fit the bill if it's under £200. If it's over £240 then it's way better to go for a 1060 that gives gaming performance of a 980.

If you're only looking to run FIFA 17 then even a GTX 960 should work and is a lot cheaper.

According to the little knowledge I have - you should go for a RX 470 or if you can increase your budget a 1060 will do wonders.

And you can always check YouTube for benchmarks. All the best. :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Hey Steve! Good to see you around again! How is life?

Hi Dutch! La vita e bella, as the Italians say (life's good). How's it going for you?

On topic: if I go for a GTX 970 will it be bottlenecked by any of my other components or will there be any PSU issues? I've found one at Amazon for less than £200. And just to make sure it'll fit in my case, is it bigger than the AMD 6850? I'm pretty sure my current GPU takes up two slots.

I'll be fitting this one myself for the first time...

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
If it helps, here are the approximate dimensions of my case:

Height: 17in
Length: 18.8in
Width 8in

Here's the card I'm looking at:

ASUS STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card

D

Dutch

Hi mate the GTX 970 will definitely get the job done: its the card I have and I don't see the other system specs you have wouldn't work very well but you could drop say MattW a pm as he might be more savvy.....

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
Happy to help and a very good choice of card, obviously outperforms an RX 470 by a decent margin.

Your CPU clearly won't bottleneck the card and the power supply seems sufficient too. I'm not good with the fitting part but best bet to check whether it'd fit in would be checking the dimensions of the card and comparing it with your current one or your case. :thumbs

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Should've pounced as soon as I saw it - damn thing's gone up to £240+ from £189.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
That's unfortunate :/.. hope you can get a similar deal somewhere.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Well...

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 3 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI Express 3 Zero Frozr Cooling Graphics Card for £204

MSI NVIDIA Gtx 960 Gaming 2 GB PCI-E Graphics Card for £197.

Presumably the GTX 1060 is a superior card? How would the £7 less GTX 960 stack up? I'm guessing that the extra £7 gets me a much better card?

Mind you, both of them have less than the 4gb on offer with the 970.

Last edited:

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
GTX 1060 6GB one is on par with the 980 in terms of gaming, the 3GB one is not far behind in terms of performance. 3GB version of the 1060 should beat a 970 in most games and hence a 960 is out of question. Here's a comparison between both these versions of the 1060 :

The 3 gigs version of the model skipped my mind, should've suggested that earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread