Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Alright, here's one that popped up on a Facebook group. Opinions are split, I'm in the minority.
One day match.

Scores are tied with batsmen 10 and 11 in, the bowler comes in, bowls a ball which passes down the leg side of the batsmen. The keeper takes the ball and dislodges the bails with the striker out of his ground. Umpire calls wide.
So the wide happened first, that generates a result so the batting team wins with the scorecard 9/254 (or whatever)

BUT

You walk off the field, go to the scorers and they say that there was a mistake, with that wide ball the scores are now level.

According to the Laws, What happens?

I don't know (or perhaps more correctly, I'm not convinced) of the view that a majority has taken, so this isn't a right/wrong question. Ill leave it up for a day or two to see if anyone else has opinions.

Even if you don't want to dig into laws etc, would be interested, what do you think is the proper/fair outcome given the circumstances?

@qpeedore
I think if the scorers are sure about the mistake, then it's a tie

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
Sure. Apologies if these have been asked before, this is off the top of my head. Ill make all these questions about the toss.

1) When can the toss take place? Where can it take place and Who should be present.

2) The toss is done in accordance with the law, in the time between the toss and the start of play it buckets down. What happens if
a) Play gets under way that day
b) The day is abandoned and play starts the next day

3) As the umpires in control of the ground, its raining at the time you would normally toss, and you know that the start of play will be delayed. The correct course of action is:
a) Toss as normal
b) Delay the toss

4) What must be agreed between the umpires and captains prior to the toss?
Note: Playing regs and bylaws usually overrule these, so there aren't many people that know this

5) Situation in 2 a has arisen. The change to the ground etc means that the winning captain says they change their mind and decides to swap what their doing. Thoughts?

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
The number of players?
Absolutely. Law 1 says that the number of players may change by agreement, by extension this would have to happen by the nomination of players which must take place before the toss.

There's 5 in the list thats in the laws that Im thinking of. :)

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Sure. Apologies if these have been asked before, this is off the top of my head. Ill make all these questions about the toss.

1) When can the toss take place? Where can it take place and Who should be present.

2) The toss is done in accordance with the law, in the time between the toss and the start of play it buckets down. What happens if

3) As the umpires in control of the ground, its raining at the time you would normally toss, and you know that the start of play will be delayed. The correct course of action is:
a) Toss as normal
b) Delay the toss

Note: Playing regs and bylaws usually overrule these, so there aren't many people that know this

5) Situation in 2 a has arisen. The change to the ground etc means that the winning captain says they change their mind and decides to swap what their doing. Thoughts?
1- Toss takes place before match :p. It can take place on ground and match referee and both teams captains should be present.

2- (a)

3- (b)

4- Playing XI.

5- I don't clearly understand.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
When - The current norm of 30 mins of play is good enough. Enough time to let the players get ready for play and also assess whether a doubtful player may or may not be match fit.
Where - If by where you mean what part of the field, then beside the pitch is fine too. That way the captains get another opportunity to analyze the surface.
Who - Captains, Match Referee, TV presenter, and cameraman.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
When - The current norm of 30 mins of play is good enough. Enough time to let the players get ready for play and also assess whether a doubtful player may or may not be match fit.
Where - If by where you mean what part of the field, then beside the pitch is fine too. That way the captains get another opportunity to analyze the surface.
Who - Captains, Match Referee, TV presenter, and cameraman.
TV presenter and Cameraman might not be vital as not all the matches are broadcast on TV.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
TV presenter and Cameraman might not be vital as not all the matches are broadcast on TV.
True, but I thought this was related to those matches who are indeed broadcast on TV.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
True, but I thought this was related to those matches who are indeed broadcast on TV.

I usually make posts in reference to the laws as set out by the MCC. No biggie though and any differences that arise between what the laws say and what we see on TV can make for an interesting discussion in itself!

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The toss takes place near the pitch only when the weather is fine, and the conditions are suitable for play to happen. The captains of both the teams and the match refereee must be present.

2 - Didnt understand what you are asking

3 - The correct thing is to delay the toss until the rain clears out.

4 - The playing XI must bee finalised and submitted to the referee before the toss.

5 - They arent allowed to do so. Once they have chosen whether to bat first or bowl, their decision is final!

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India

a) Toss as normal
b) Delay the toss

Most of the questions are already answered. I would like to answer one:

2(b). There will be another toss the next day before the start of play.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
According to the laws, the toss can take place no earlier than half and hour before the start of play and no later than 15 mins before play. It must be done in the presence of at least 1 umpire and on the field of play.

Once the toss has been made, it stands.

a) Toss as normal
b) Delay the toss

You would delay the toss. The 15/30 min timings would apply to the new start time.

Note: Playing regs and bylaws usually overrule these, so there aren't many people that know this:

This is the list of things that, in Law 3, shall be agreed to:
  • The balls to be used during the match
  • Times and duration of intervals for meals and the drinks intervals
  • the boundary, and the allowances for boundaries
  • any special conditions affecting the match
The decision, which must be given immediately upon the toss, stands.

Users who are viewing this thread