Virus/Exploit attack warning

A

Admin

Symptoms

Due to a security hole in Windows anyone can gain control of your PC using an RPC overflow attack

Once under attack the following message appears "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved chages will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT ATHORITY\SYSTEM..... Message windows must restart because the remote procedure call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly"

The system them restarts after about 1-2 min every time you boot henceforth

Google link

Download security update

T

temp

Thanks Vineet. Thank you very very much. This error was occuring in my Win XP.

Thanks again. :thumbs:

R

rasi

Read this. Extract from Digit

Critical flaw found in Windows

Microsoft announced three new security breachesin its software, including one 'critical' Windows flaw that allows a hacker to run any unauthorised code on victims' PCs. The flaw known as a buffer overrun vulnerability allows an attacker to use an unchecked buffer to run their own executable code. The flaw located in the HTML converter in Windows, is used by hackers to spread the code either by sending an HTML e-mail or by creating a special web page that triggers the code.

The vulnerability exists in Windows versions including Windows XP, 2000, 98, 98 SE, Me and NT 4.0 Server. The flaw is less effective in Windows Server 2003, because it ships with a setting known as Enhanced Security Configuration designed to minimise the risk of unauthorised code being launched. Microsoft has posted a patch for the vulnerability on its web site.

No problems for me. I run Linux. :D

R

rasi

Why is ME crap? It's better than other versions. I had been using ME for more than two years before I switched to XP and I haven't yet heard one compatibility issue about it. Its easily configurable, one of the most stable OSs. I still have ME installed in my computer, but I rarely use it now.

R

rasi

Some of my friends are getting an error in XP saying that Windows is dumping physical memory and the system shuts down. Is this the same as this security hole?

Users who are viewing this thread