Way too many edges - post patch

Scotsman1975

School Cricketer
I'm sorry but this new patch has broken the game for me.

I'm playing as England in Ashes (test matches). Playing veteran and hard batting. I find in certain innings when I am batting, I'm getting a ridiculous number of nicks, while other innings in the same match, its fine. Playing on hard, uneven pitch - In the previous innings the AI scored 356 and I must have got about 5-6 nicks all game. Then I go into bat and I am all out for 75 and I must have got at least 1 nick every 2-3 overs!! All their wickets came from catches from nicks - it didn't matter what shot I played, how good my timing was (many nicks on good timing) or how old the ball was - getting nicks with 30-40 over old ball. I feel however well I played, I was going to get out for a low score, almost like the game is scripted. I've lost two matches in the Ashes because of this, so its game breaking for me :(((

Anyone else found the same? Can the dev team comment?

Scotsman1975

School Cricketer
I was playing with patience. I left everything too far outside off stump, didn’t play bouncers, waited until the batsmen confidence was green and only played balls that were on or near hitting stumps. I also only played with a straight bat hitting down the ground to minimise nicks. Non of this made any difference. Even When I was hitting with good timing I was getting nicks. It tends to be the second innings that it happens.

I feel I doing everything I can. Any tips would be greatly received. Thanks

D

Deleted member 46200

I was playing with patience. I left everything too far outside off stump, didn’t play bouncers, waited until the batsmen confidence was green and only played balls that were on or near hitting stumps. I also only played with a straight bat hitting down the ground to minimise nicks. Non of this made any difference. Even When I was hitting with good timing I was getting nicks. It tends to be the second innings that it happens.

I feel I doing everything I can. Any tips would be greatly received. Thanks
Try playing T20 as there is a difference... In my opinion, I don't think this game can reflect the true flow and nature of first class cricket.

Scotsman1975

School Cricketer
Thanks but I only bought the game to play the ashes. I’m not interested in T20 or one day games. Tests were fine before the patch. Now nicks are way over the top on second innings for the human player

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thanks but I only bought the game to play the ashes. I’m not interested in T20 or one day games. Tests were fine before the patch. Now nicks are way over the top on second innings for the human player
If you don't want nicks and edges in realistic way , simply go and play any arcade cricket game like Stick cricket on Android. Even if you don't time well then you can be able to hit boundaries and no need to bother for edges.

D

Dutch

Yeah you have to practice....know which balls to leave....play predominantly in the v until settled, know your strength and weaknesses.....I too have low scores but practice in the nets.....footplacement becomes more crucial the higher the level.....you can also step down a level and see how it goes and step up again

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Nicks are part and parcel of the game,and the way it is now is just the perfect amount.. The most important rule now in getting a good score is to leave balls a lot and score of ones which deserves a hitting.. Patience is definitely the key here.. If you play anything on offside which is away from the batsman the chances of nicking it is high just like in real life...There's also element of ball seaming around where the best way to go about it is defend or dab and run to rotate strike.. Once you get through the new ball, the scoring does get a lot easier and the feel of earning your runs is just a cherry on top..

Scotsman1975

School Cricketer
Thanks guys, really helpful tips. Don’t get me wrong I want nicks, but I was getting so many of them it felt unrealistic. A few questions:

How do you ‘dab’ the ball?

How do you find out your batsmen’s strengths and weaknesses? I know how to do it for AI but not human batsmen.

How does older ball make it easier? Does it seem less, does your timing not need to be so good?

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Thanks guys, really helpful tips. Don’t get me wrong I want nicks, but I was getting so many of them it felt unrealistic. A few questions:

How do you ‘dab’ the ball?

How do you find out your batsmen’s strengths and weaknesses? I know how to do it for AI but not human batsmen.

How does older ball make it easier? Does it seem less, does your timing not need to be so good?

Foot placement are crucial post this patch , and if you manage to get it right you will HARDLY EDGE ANY. its not random edges at all it seems. Play with the foot placement slider and ball quality influence slider if you want to reduce the edges.

Scotsman1975

School Cricketer
Ok thanks. I think it is mainly foot placement I’m getting wrong. Could anyone care to provide a few tips on how to do it right? I’m assuming in front foot you just point foot placement stick towards bounce of ball. How does it work on backfoot shots then? Any tips? Thank you!

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
I would add timing too, as long as you get foot placement and timing right, you will hardly edge. Now whenever there is an edge there is a clear mistake on the user part.

Yea but foot placement is clearly way above in the hierarchy

D

Dutch

Ok thanks. I think it is mainly foot placement I’m getting wrong. Could anyone care to provide a few tips on how to do it right? I’m assuming in front foot you just point foot placement stick towards bounce of ball. How does it work on backfoot shots then? Any tips? Thank you!

Front foot is basically stepping towards the pitch of the ball, in the direction you want to play in so that you are getting basically a nice angle to the line of the ball, however not every ball of course is ideal for playing that shot , that angle.....know the lengths and widths to play this or that shot on. Back foot is generally getting in line with the ball as it comes towards you. Very simplified and the variations are subtle but will give a good foundation to work on further.

Playing with a straight bat is generally going to be safer than playing with an angled bat: thats why playing in the V is such a thing.....it lessens the chance of being done in, but of course even this is all determined by the way you execute a shot.

Get in the nets or on the ground and practice stuff, set up the bowler to bowl only that one delivery and nail it and get used to what each length and width can do in terms of risk /reward..... go extreme with footwork, stepping too far this or that way, too far forward too far back.....learn what it does/doesn't do.

Also ask yourself some questions like: (questions always help you to focus).....why did that shot work/not work?
Also:
1. Match situation: do we need runs, do I need to get in, have a time to consolidate, do I need to grind it out, whats the pitch like, whats the opposition like, what are the conditions like? These questions determine of course the type of innings you need to play.

2. What are my go to places to get runs? Where do I feel confident: which ball width and length am I looking for to play that shot/those shots?

This kind of thing might be helpful......shows the ideal lengths and widths for executing various shots for a right-handed batsmen......

Foot-work-and-Shot-Selection-chat.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dutch

I think the game does the physics of this pretty well: for example I just played a defensive straight bat to a spinner and got out.....why? because it was short of a length and I played on the front-front and it spun and hit the shoulder of the bat and looped up to slip....I either needed to get much quicker to the pitch of the ball, therefore making it a front-foot shot, or hung back and waited on the back-foot.....

Users who are viewing this thread