Which figures would a team rather have?

wolf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I thought I would start a new topic instead of spamming the Ashes thread.

wolf said:
I would rather a bowler took 10-0-100-5 than 10-5-10-0.

If you were a captain, which figures would you rather your bowler have at the end of the innings? This is for a test match.

I would go for: 10-0-100-5

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
The latter; The 5 wickets on the first one were probably all flukes with the batsmen going after wide ones. Going at 10 an over is disgraceful in any cricket.

FreddieFan

International Coach
The former I think, an average of 20 is all that'll show in the stats/

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
That would read 230 a/o after 50 overs. Not bad for ODIs.
In a test...depends on the situation. If they need say 50 in half an hour, the latter. If they are batting first maybe the first. Can't say really. The second bowler would get the longer spell though.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It really just depends on the match situation to be honest. I would much rather have taken the guy with the 5 wickets in Karachi on the last day when Pakistan needed to dismiss 8 batsmen with a 400+ lead. But if that lead was halfed, well I'd probably still go for that guy.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
5/100. Who knows how much the other guy will go for in his next 10, or if he will even pick up a wicket. In test cricket, no matter how economical you are, you need 20 wickets to win a game.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Very indefinite question. There are many more conditions to consider. If it was a one day game and defending anything less than 250, you would be a moron to be happy with 5/100, the rest of the match could be played safely at 3 or 4 runs an over. Many teams have lower order players (Hussey comes to mind) that could easily win from that position. Furthermore, you will find that expensive spell usually have friends, particularly if a captain is stretched enough to give such a bowler all his overs.

By much the same token, super-economical spells rarely come alone. If you find one bowler bowls 10 overs for 10 runs, you normally find his team mates backed him up. Even in a test, the pressure of a tight spell can spill over and turn up a gimme. Mind you, it's far more likely for a bowler to go wicketless for 10 or less off a full spell than it is for a bowler to take a bag and get carted, in fact even 5/80 has never occured in ODIs. Make no mistake, these performances do not win matches. Nazmul Hossain's 3/83 most certainly didn't put his team in any sort of position against England at Trent Bridge in last year's NatWest Series.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
In test cricket, in almost all situations you'd want the 5/100 ahead of 0/10. You can't win a test match without taking 20 wickets, so you'd want the wickets. Even if the tight spell bought pressure and as such a wicket, it's unlikely to suddenly cause 5 wickets in 10 overs. However in the odd instance that you were desperately trying to keep the runs down you may want the 0/10, even then though if someones picked up 5 wickets in 10 overs, chances are the runs will slow down naturally.

PhilD123

International Coach
If you want to win the test match then definitely 5-100, as you need 20 wickets to win a game. However if a draw is good then I would probabaly settle for 0-10. In my opinion, it all depends on the match/series situation.

plympilgrim

International Coach
in a test match if you were playin for the draw i would prefer the 0-10, but if you had runs on the board and a big lead i would prefer 5-100

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Definitely 5-100, hes got the wickets whereas the other guy hasn't. In the next 10 they first guy might have 5-110 after 20 overs and the other guy have 0/110 after 20.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Tough question and it depends entirely on the situation of the match!

Probably the first as 20 wickets are needed to win a match and at 20 runs per wicket that aint abd :)
But in certain situations for a draw say 101 is needed you may have them 5 down but they are going to win by 5 wickets!
So depends entirely on match situation!

Users who are viewing this thread