Who should replace Ricky Ponting for Boxing Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Now, before a mod closes this thread, I have something to say.

The Boxing Day test: The biggest event on the annual cricketing calendar. For years gone past, massive crowds have turned up.

Do they turn up for the game? No.

As Ricky Ponting walks out to bat, the crowd will rise as one. Even me, in my traditional place in the Great Southern Stand shall jump out of my seat at the fall of Matthew Hayden, Simon Katich, Justin Langer or Phil Jaques and bellow 'Come on Punter!'.

As he strolls to the crease, and glares at the opposition bowler, the crowd will return their bums to their seats, in anticipation of the battle that is to come. They will watch as Ricky Ponting, Punter, Rick, the big RP cuts, pulls and cover drives himself to another MCG epic.

An average of 65 at the MCG is rivalled by few. Four centuries makes for an imposing record, his career high score of an elegant 257 included. It was one of the saddest moments in my life as a gritty, sublime captains knock came ton an end on 99 in last years Boxing Day test.

Sir Donald Bradman himself enjoyed to MCG with a mind blowing average of 128.53. Ricky Ponting's success at the ground makes for another comparison to the great man, and the view of many at Punter being the greatest batsman since cricket's best.

I asked something yesterday and I ask it again; "Sachin Tendulkar, are you God in disg......."

Sorry, wrong question.

"Who do you call upon to replace the greatest batsman of his era?" *waits for Indian supporters Gazza hate*

The Boxing Day test is not the Boxing Day test without Ricky Ponting. It is likely that we are going to see an Australian lineup at the 'G without our skipper on it however, so who is the best choice to replace him?

TumTum

International Cricketer
I asked something yesterday and I ask it again; "Sachin Tendulkar, are you God in disg......."

Sorry, wrong question.

:rtfl

Watson is the closest thing that can replace him I guess, he is the only one that can play the "proper" pull-shot and cover-drive.

You were waiting till Haydos got out? Didn't he have an incredible record at the G too?

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Steven Smith anyone? He's in great from with the bat.

I'll Push Hussey or Clarke to no.3 and Haddin to no.6, so Smith can bat at no.7.

Last edited:

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Watson is the closest thing that can replace him I guess, he is the only one that can play the "proper" pull-shot and cover-drive.
Dumbass :p :laugh

You were waiting till Haydos got out? Didn't he have an incredible record at the G too?
Yeah he did too. Six centuries in seven years, plus a 97. An average of 69.

I didn't so much wait for those openers to get out as much as not mind when the partnership was broken.

Woe any attack that had Haydos and Punter at the crease at the same time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread