Windies could fill 2009 Sri Lanka gap

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
The West Indies have been lined up to play England if Sri Lanka scrap their 2009 tour, BBC Sport understands.

The West Indies Cricket Board is discussing the invitation for two Tests and three one-day games in the spring.

"It is a challenge as we are hosting a series with Bangladesh including Tests and one-day games next May," said WICB chief executive Dr Donald Peters.

"We are still talking. They (England) want to play us twice in one year. We are examining all the possibilities."

Source

Would be good. Seems England have a good relationship with West Indies at the minute, and they'd be a good warm up before the Ashes, certainly far better than a 2nd string Sri Lanka side. Hopefully it'll all go through, I enjoyed the England-West Indies series last time, there seems to be a good healthy rivalry between the 2 sides. Especially between Pietersen and Gayle on the pitch.

Highlander999

ICC President
Good on you Windies. As you said we have a good realationship with them at the moment. Hopefully this will go ahead and will get the players nicely warmed up for the Ashes :)

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hopefully this does go ahead as we do have a good relationship with Windies currently and I quite there team. T'would be a great warm up to the ashes

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Not a bad warm up to the ashes. Hopefully by next year West Indies will be a much improved out fit however but I don't see it anytime soon.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
West Indies Need to kick out the Cricket Board.
Nothing is wrong with the Player. We know people like Sarwan, Gayle, Chanderpaul, Taylor, Sammy, Bravo, etc is capable of winning any game. But the cricket board we have is just srewup.
I personally believe it's time up to change it.

back to the topic.
I love watchoing England VS WI. they are great together. like in this world cup. England VS West Indies was the Only match in world cup that was great.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The West Indies are getting good, there's no doubt about that. They gave Australia a run for their money in the summer. One of their domestic teams has just beaten an English county as well!

This might be a bit of an overload though. Remember, England are playing 4 Tests and 5 ODIs in the Caribbean early next year.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
They do it every year Lee. We had Sri Lanka then New Zealand this past winter, then New Zealand were back in England a matter of weeks later. They'll still get a couple of weeks off, and then a couple of weeks between The Ashes. It won't be an overload problem, not if the IPL deals fall through anyway.

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Well don't get to comfortable with the idea just yet, WIPA will have a thing or two to say about this, and since the WICB is not in the habit of taking series that are not part of the FTP, we just have to wait and see, because the WICB may want it, but they would have to get WIPA to accept it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread