RIP World Cup Super League 2020-23 (World Cup Qualifier Jun 16 - Jul 9)

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
English county cricket destroying cricket!!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Waiting for the English media to write a bunch of gloomy articles about this.… still waiting…
I think most fans and writers probably agree it's unfortunate and is contradictory to helping the Netherlands as a team progress in general. But, I don't think we'll see The Telegraph complaining about it.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
I think most fans and writers probably agree it's unfortunate and is contradictory to helping the Netherlands as a team progress in general. But, I don't think we'll see The Telegraph complaining about it.
To be honest leaving jokes apart, even playing sports is a career for most athletes, they deserve getting paid fairly and if county cricket pays them more compared to playing for country, that is what they should do. If IPL pays the 180 cricketers involved more compared to their home county or country cricket, so be it. Things are really expensive and you need a fat check to sustain your life (small, medium, large). Also if ICC is serious in preserving International cricket they should amend rules and pay the players enough.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
To be honest leaving jokes apart, even playing sports is a career for most athletes, they deserve getting paid fairly and if county cricket pays them more compared to playing for country, that is what they should do. If IPL pays the 180 cricketers involved more compared to their home county or country cricket, so be it. Things are really expensive and you need a fat check to sustain your life (small, medium, large). Also if ICC is serious in preserving International cricket they should amend rules and pay the players enough.
I don't disagree with the players not wanting to jeopardise county deals. Unfortunately, Netherlands can't afford central contracts but the frustrating part is that by qualifying for a World Cup they might bring in money to do that.

When you see how the money is divided up at ICC level, it should be enough to ensure one of the most consistent associates of the last two decades could at least field a full strength team when they need them.

It's just a shame that the players, ECB, the counties and Netherlands/Scotland cricket can't find a way around it.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't disagree with the players not wanting to jeopardise county deals. Unfortunately, Netherlands can't afford central contracts but the frustrating part is that by qualifying for a World Cup they might bring in money to do that.

When you see how the money is divided up at ICC level, it should be enough to ensure one of the most consistent associates of the last two decades could at least field a full strength team when they need them.

It's just a shame that the players, ECB, the counties and Netherlands/Scotland cricket can't find a way around it.

Yeah I agree, none of the parties involved can be blamed for the current scenario given that they’re all trying their best to find the most effective compromise.

I’m not even sure if the ICC has the spine or interest in remedying this anyway.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Looking at the qualifier:

Two groups, top three in each go into a Super Six and the top two of that then qualify for the World Cup.

Group A
Zimbabwe
Nepal
West Indies
Netherlands
United States

Group B
Ireland
Oman
Scotland
Sri Lanka
UAE

I fancy Sri Lanka to at the very least finish top 2 and probably win the tournament. Second place could be a toss up between West Indies, Ireland and Zimbabwe and could come down to who wins the matches between these sides.

I'd expect Scotland to make the super six and fancy Nepal to make it from Group A. If Netherlands were at full strength then they'd definitely have the bowling to do it.

Hopefully some of the test nations get upset by the associates so it throws the tournament wide-open.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I have a feeling that we might not be seeing either the West Indies or Sri Lanka in this year's World Cup. I am betting heavily on Zimbabwe and Scotland to the honors here. Ireland and Netherlands could run either side close- will be a fascinating watch (if it is being telecast, that is)

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Scotland are missing some of their players involved in county cricket at present, that does weaken their side. I believe it is the same story for Netherlands. I think Ireland can qualify if they get over their mental struggles over the last year. Sri Lanka have too much quality I feel to miss out, the only they'd do if they spectacularly implode which I don't see happening. I'd have put West Indies into the 'unlikely to qualify' camp before their restructure but Hope seems to have some interesting ideas and Sammy the coach is very intriguing too. Feel like we may need some Chase heroics to get them away from the WC. :D

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
I am excited to see how Saiteja Mukkamalla does for USA. HE is a brilliant prospect and player.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Decent warm=ups. Zimbabwe seem to be in good knick. Scotland blowing hot and cold. Dutch being plagued by the incompleteness of their squad!

Among the lesser nations, Oman has impressed me the most. They seem to have run the opposition close in their 2 warm-ups. UAE seem to have a decent batting attack as well.

As for the Test nations, Sri Lanka and WI have blazed their way through with mega scores. Perhaps a case of over attacking. However, they can easily come undone against a better bowling attack.

Had SA and either Afg/Ban been in the mix in this qualifier as well, it would have made for some really interesting match ups

Users who are viewing this thread