Your streaks in the nets

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Worried i am gonna suck at this game big time. My highest streak (average/legend v99.94b) is 64.

Perhaps i need to lock away the ego and play a lower difficulty for a bit.

Fissionmailed

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Worried i am gonna suck at this game big time. My highest streak (average/legend v99.94b) is 64.

Probably (:P, I'm going to be in the same boat though), its not a cause for concern though, its going to be great. Just thinking of all the variables: different pace, bowler skill, seam movement, swing, ball wear, pitch conditions, fielder placement, weather, required run rate. Can't wait to battle out each time at the crease.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Be on front foot all the time to have maximum streaks atleast in the nets though it would be interesting to see how long can one survive if he plays every ball on frontfoot.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Be on front foot all the time to have maximum streaks atleast in the nets though it would be interesting to see how long can one survive if he plays every ball on frontfoot.

cheers - worth bearing in mind, my natural movement is back and across.

grkrama

National Board President

i find blocking easier on back foot with mid stump gaurd,:wave

and im personally not worried much about streaks , im trying to be as unbeatable as possible, try to play only perfect grounded drive and nt edging or getting bold on legend lev.So that im perfected enough to grind it out in test once the game is released. concentration seems vital Even the slightest miss of conc is costing wicket and is really challenging :)

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

The streak means absolutely nothing, it doesn't determine whether you're good at the game or not. I'll say this again, just because you can hit the ball 100 times in a row doesn't mean you're any good at the game because you don't know how many times you would have been caught behind or in the field playing a drive or whatever.

I wouldn't start panicking until you've played around with the full game.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Totally agree. High streaks are really only indicative of how much time one has on their hands to waste, rather than some perceived skill...

...It's pretty easy to just block every single ball and rack up a 50, so it's less about some secret skill and just a bit of fun.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Thats a good point. I am reasonably happy in terms of the number of balls it takes me to get obviously out (bowled or edged behind) or play a shot you would imagine gives a high chance of caught in the field. In that respect I should be ok and of course i am more attacking in nets than i would conceivably be in a game situation.

What i am unquestionably terrible at is putting the previous ball out of my mind. I often play the shot i should have played to the last ball to the next ball, if you get me. Weirdly i am actually pretty good at that in real life.

JasXI

Club Captain
What i am unquestionably terrible at is putting the previous ball out of my mind. I often play the shot i should have played to the last ball to the next ball, if you get me. Weirdly i am actually pretty good at that in real life.

Exactly my problem. Especially if the previous ball was a bouncer.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You can't read too much into the streak thingy as it's not reflective of how cricket works. Batsmen are not rewarded for putting bat at every delivery and in fact you will struggle to build a long innings if you follow that path. The streak mechanism rewards people for edging the ball, playing on to the stumps and playing shots in the air which wouldn't be helpful at all in the game.

Nets should be treated as a way of familiarising yourself with the batting controls. Reading anything more into the streaks is counter-productive.

----------

Exactly my problem. Especially if the previous ball was a bouncer.

Just like real life :yes

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You can't read too much into the streak thingy as it's not reflective of how cricket works. Batsmen are not rewarded for putting bat at every delivery and in fact you will struggle to build a long innings if you follow that path. The streak mechanism rewards people for edging the ball, playing on to the stumps and playing shots in the air which wouldn't be helpful at all in the game.

Nets should be treated as a way of familiarising yourself with the batting controls. Reading anything more into the streaks is counter-productive.

Yeah, the streak was introduced to try to induce people to play every ball so they had a feel for the batting controls, and I think it achieves that, but it's not a good idea to play every ball when playing a match (obviously).

We've had a few more pro Cricketers play the nets now and all have been :thumbs , some commenting how it "feels" like batting, which has been nice to hear.

It's also been good that there has been very little comment about the trails and ring around the ball, the pro's didn't even mention it until I did, they got it without me explaining it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread