Zimbabwe not to Tour England in 2009??

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This is an article from the BBC website, you should post a link and not quote the entire article in your post.

Sorry just thought it would be easier if it was on here instead of having to go onto the bbc and then come back.

Sureshot

Executive member
Could you put a link in please, holdenator.

I in no way think we should allow them to tour here, the ZCU is influenced by their government and we can't associate ourselves with them. Given Gordie's good stand against Mugabe's regime I don't think their tour over here will go ahead. There's no place in cricket for Zimbabwe.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Link added. It looks like if England cancel then the T20 world cup will be moved. I dont know if England would risk that.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
but Zimbabwe should have right to play cricket? I don't get why ECB should play them in the first place? aren't they just coming to have a game of cricket rather then money?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I don't see a problem with Zimbabwe touring here. The problem the ECB has is that its just for 3 ODI's and no tests. I would suggest the best solution is to invite another country to play a test series, then have a tri-angular ODI series involving England, Zimbabwe and the other team.

Animator!

School Cricketer
From a political stand point Gordon Brown is doing the absolute right thing. Although, I think we've all found out whether we stop them coming her or we boycott them it won't have much of an effect. Zimbabwe is a country in crisis and us not allowing them to tour here won't solve that, it won't make it more of an international issue than it already is anyway. The only way we could anything about it following on from this would be if every country boycotted series involving Zimbabwe, which won't happen.

It won't effect Zimbabwe much anyway, besides the point they'll probably be saving money by not having to expend any money. It'd be boycotting series in Zimbabwe that would really cost them.

Having said that, I don't support them coming here and I don't think they should be allowed either. Gordon Brown is doing the right thing. However, nothing in Zimbabwe will change until Muagbe dies, because it's essentially clear that we won't ever get involved while he's alive.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
How about something like scotland or Ireland?

Sureshot

Executive member
but Zimbabwe should have right to play cricket? I don't get why ECB should play them in the first place? aren't they just coming to have a game of cricket rather then money?

They should, but when the government interferes with selection they shouldn't. Supporting the Zimbabwe cricket team, supports Mugabe's regime.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I would let them tour only if they agree to play tests by then. There is no point if you just play a ODI series. Strong or weak, they are a test playing nation and should still have to play tests. Unless the Zimbabwe government sorts this out as far as selection and their test status is concerned, we should not allow them to tour here.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
yeah, I agree that. It does not matter if the team is weak or not as long as it's a Official test playing Nation by ICC.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Zimbabwe in England (2 Tests & 3 ODIs)

That is the fixtures for England vs Zimbabwe, Does this mean they are trying to uplift the test ban? For other Zimbabwe tours it just mentions ODI's,

If they don't come the T20 WC will most probably be moved from England. Now if the ECB dont lost money from the Zimbabwe series they most probably will from the T20 WC

jordox

International Cricketer
Wouldn't be a huge loss for England anyway. It seems when Zimbabwe play any team other than Bangladesh, losing is a formality. Plus, the political situation is completely unstable.

Except when they play Australia :p

Seriously though, Pakistan is a more dangerous place so people shouldn't be saying Zimbabwe is dangerous because it isn't really, it just the political situation cricket wise is unfair, there are lots of really good player who aren't in the team because Mugabe doesn't want them to be.

Sureshot

Executive member
1) Who's said Zimbabwe is more dangerous than Pakistan?

2) Zimbabwe is a dangerous place, if you oppose the government that is.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
How do you know that its dangerous Sureshot, our media is banned from going there ;)

Users who are viewing this thread