Windows 7 - Will it be the best of Microsoft?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
You got to do something on AVG to make it bypass that threat detection. I use ESET NOD32 and I have never got such threat detections from ESET. AVG seems to be having wrong definitions.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
You got to do something on AVG to make it bypass that threat detection. I use ESET NOD32 and I have never got such threat detections from ESET. AVG seems to be having wrong definitions.

NOD32. Good man! Best one out there, and at ?20pa, who can say no?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm going to use the Win 7 RC until it runs out (June, isn't it?) By then, it should've come down in price and then I'll buy it.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
When it comes to the RC of Windows 7, does it have the same security as the 'full' version, and will it receive important updates like the 'full' version? As I said before, I'm planning to use this until it runs out (June?), and then buy Windows 7 - which should've come down considerably by then,

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It should... but you tell me. Have you been receiving regular updates to Windows 7? There have been several patches released between the release and now.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It should... but you tell me. Have you been receiving regular updates to Windows 7? There have been several patches released between the release and now.

I've only really started using it today - it downloaded some updates. Also, regarding the boot menu, how do you get it to load Win 7 by default? Now that I've got a wireless card that works with Win 7, it's going to be my default until it runs out, when I'll probably buy it.

Edit: Boot menu issue's sorted now.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
From what I recall, Windows 7 has a pretty nifty GUI-based boot manager once you boot-in, that can allow you to change settings like that. I can't remember it off the top of my head and I'm on an XP machine, currently.

Found this on one site:
you can change default boot OS by right clicking my computer, and selecting properties. then on the left, advanced system settings. click advanced, then settings under startup and recovery. you can also change the duration of the boot manager there.

You can try typing "boot options" or something to that effect into the Start Menu. There was also a really good freeware bootmanager for Windows 7 that I have used in the past to edit boot options. Again, I can only get that to you once I get home and check my machine.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Windows 7 is pretty good. It's quite stylish, and seems as stable as XP.

Also, it's much quicker than Vista.

Gazza_11 added 2 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

6000 rupees seems like a bit much. But remember, if you buy a copy of Vista you get a free upgrade to Windows 7.

Gazza_11 added 0 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Or is that just in Australia?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Did you not read my post? :p

:facepalm :o :doh

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

NOD32. Good man! Best one out there, and at ?20pa, who can say no?

?20pa? Sounds worth a look!

Edit: Since going on Win 7, my HDD has taken to accessing almost incessantly and it's beginning to get on my nerves. It's not happening in XP. Now, I'd imagine there's some sort of scheduled task going on, how do I find out what it is and how to stop it? I like to do tasks manually - not when the PC feels like it.

Edit: It's doing it sometimes in Win XP as well. Right now, it's not doing it under Win 7. Either way, when it does it, it's annoying. It does it when the router's off as well though, so I hope that means it's not down to any outside interference...

Last edited:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
:facepalm :o :doh

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

?20pa? Sounds worth a look!

Edit: Since going on Win 7, my HDD has taken to accessing almost incessantly and it's beginning to get on my nerves. It's not happening in XP. Now, I'd imagine there's some sort of scheduled task going on, how do I find out what it is and how to stop it? I like to do tasks manually - not when the PC feels like it.

Edit: It's doing it sometimes in Win XP as well. Right now, it's not doing it under Win 7. Either way, when it does it, it's annoying. It does it when the router's off as well though, so I hope that means it's not down to any outside interference...
I don't really understand your problem, but do one thing, download and install speedfan, go to the SMART area and check the fitness and performance of your drive.

Users who are viewing this thread