Windows 7 - Will it be the best of Microsoft?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Felt that a new exclusive thread for Windows 7 would be good for those who have been loving it and for those who want to talk about it. Mods can delete it if they feel its unnecessary

The latest build, I guess, is Build 7100. It seems to feel much more lighter than the previous build with more enhanced visual attractiveness (new themes being added). The sounds section has a variety of sound themes (my favorite is the Raga theme which is basically a collection of Indian instruments being used for Windows sounds).

Personally, I love the way the Sidebar's background gradient color has been removed and now the gadgets look like they are placed right on the desktop (I hated this about Vista so much that I never used gadgets on Vista). If you have Aero enabled, then you can have a thumbnail preview of the windows that you have open (by scrolling your mouse over the icons on the taskbar). If you have more than 1 IE window open and move your mouse over the IE icon on the taskbar, it shows the Aero peek preview of all windows and you can select the one that you want...

Come up with what you like, what you dont like, and what you would like to see changed on Windows 7. I guess Microsoft are using user feedback to improve upon the OS (it seems their RC1 update which is coming in May is fixing around 2000 bugs and adding tons of more enhancements).

WINDOWS 7 ROCKS!!!

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
What I am really excited about is Windows Mobile 7, which is out next year. Currently I am using WinMo 6.1, and along with the Ultra Touch and spb Shell, gives an excellent experience, far better than the RIM BB Storm (which I also have) and the iPhone 3.0. But WinMo 7 really looks class and looks to have fixed all the issues one faces in the present or earlier versions, especially for touch screen phones.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Can you still get the Alpha/Beta of it?

Although the official download of Windows 7 beta has been taken down, it seems Microsoft has also circulated the beta to many torrent sites which still carry the beta versions (since they circulate it themselves, it should be legal). The RC1 is due on May 5th 2009 and should be available for download officially on Microsoft's websites I think.

Sureshot

Executive member
Release candidate? I'm unfamiliar with the term, could hazard a guess...

omkarjere

International Cricketer
I think these are the ones which are just the versions before the final release I mean fully polished product :p

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Release candidate implies it is feature complete, whereas some things may be missing from a beta. Sometimes there is more than one release candidate, other times they are identical to the final release (though doubtful in 7's case).

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Release candidates are generally the builds which are complete from feature point of view and are just circulated to fix some final bugs / issues before the release.

There have been some rumours that a public release for RC1 is coming very soon, which is also dubbed as Build 7100. Waiting to download it, have been using the BETA for quite long now. :p

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I've only just upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64, so not sure if i should upgrade again as i am just getting to grips with vista.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
how is the optimization of windows 7 ?
does it hog memory and resources like vista ?

i have a Core2Duo 2.13, 4GB ram, 8800GTS 320.
will it work smoothly ??

Sureshot

Executive member
1Ghz CPU and 1GB RAM iirc. Better than Vista from what I've heard.

Is the RC available to all?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Kartik, it'll easily flow. Well on your specs even Vista does flow.

Nigel, the RC should be publicly available on 5'th of May, that's what all of us are keeping our fingers crossed for! :)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
how is the optimization of windows 7 ?
does it hog memory and resources like vista ?

i have a Core2Duo 2.13, 4GB ram, 8800GTS 320.
will it work smoothly ??

You should be really good for Windows 7. Its far better than Vista in terms of performance. Its a more attractive version with better performance.

RC1 is officially announced to be a May 5th release (for the general public). Cant wait to get hands on it.

Users who are viewing this thread