Windows 7 - Will it be the best of Microsoft?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Finally got Windows 7, seems to give you better control over the UAC settings and it actually is easy to find!

The new themes look good, and I like the use of the icons to collapse all the open windows for that program. The preview of each window is also handy makes it much easier when you have lots of folders open. Just used the new Paint program as well, a huge improvement from the xp version, has the Office 07 theme as well.

What is the best anti virus to use for Windows 7? I'm thinking of trying something different from my usual Kaspersky.

I guess you might look for paid versions, so ESET NOD32 is an excellent anti-virus. They have 32-bit and 64-bit versions and its a really robust anti-virus software. I have been having subscription with them for a year now, and I have had a very smooth running so far (I have set the scheduler to do a Full Computer scan everyday morning at 4 AM and its done in approx. 30-40 mins).

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have downloaded Seven Transformation pack for my office desktop which runs on XP.

scion_sid added 1 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

What is the best anti virus to use for Windows 7? I'm thinking of trying something different from my usual Kaspersky.

F-Secure is best. I use Mcafee though. It gives me option of protecting 3 PC's.

IloveGilly

News Team Member<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
I'm absolutely loving Windows 7. I had Vista before and in comparison to this, it feels a lot more smoother and faster. Heh I don't use any Anti-Viruses. Although I've always relied on Kaspersky as well.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yea Windows 7 is much more stable, starts up and shuts down a lot quicker although I don't have much stuff installed anyway. The sleep bug has been sorted, been running into some problems with that on Vista, seems to occur when I have my external hdd plugged in.

Also just found my DVB-T tv tuner actually works with Windows Media Center using Windows 7. Thought it was only working with the software it came with but so much better having it on WMC.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Will I have any issues dual booting with Win XP/Win 7; if I don't like it, can I uninstall it without hurting XP and are there any things I need to do before installing it?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I have been dual booting my desktop with Windows XP Home/Windows 7 RC, and it works like a charm. Only thing you need to do is download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and check to see if your system meets the hardware requirements for installing Windows 7. If yes, then you are good to go. Since you're using Windows XP, you might have to download a Partition manager and create a new seperate partition on your HD and install Windows 7 on the seperate partition (which will be helpful in future if you want to remove Windows 7 or Win XP completely)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I have been dual booting my desktop with Windows XP Home/Windows 7 RC, and it works like a charm. Only thing you need to do is download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and check to see if your system meets the hardware requirements for installing Windows 7. If yes, then you are good to go. Since you're using Windows XP, you might have to download a Partition manager and create a new seperate partition on your HD and install Windows 7 on the seperate partition (which will be helpful in future if you want to remove Windows 7 or Win XP completely)

If I were to keep Win XP on my new HDD and put Win 7 on my old HDD, would I still be able to dual-boot, or would I need to create it a partition on the new HDD?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
You should then have no problems. Make sure that you install Windows 7 on a clean empty partition/HD (if your old HDD has stuff, clear it out and install Windows 7). Its just precaution (I dont know what would happen if you installed it on a partition with files, but I did the other way). Format out your old HD and install Win 7 on it.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
It should work, you probably need to configure the boot loader though.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
You should then have no problems. Make sure that you install Windows 7 on a clean empty partition/HD (if your old HDD has stuff, clear it out and install Windows 7). Its just precaution (I dont know what would happen if you installed it on a partition with files, but I did the other way). Format out your old HD and install Win 7 on it.

Nice one, cheers.

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Apparently the actual OS is cheaper than Vista. Deffo' getting this. Even if my budget is tight for this christmas.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
It kind of sounds amusing to me how people are suddenly finding it so fast than Vista all of a sudden all over the internet, 50% of the comments coming from those who never used Vista in the first place. I'm not pointing at anyone here, just the whole internet.

How much difference can a name change make... So less for "Vista" and so much for "7".

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I got my new 500gb HDD today. Left old HDD as is and put Win 7 on small partition of new HDD (50gb). The thing is, I have a lot of stuff installed in Win XP and I don't know if I can get it to run in Win 7 (I don't really want to have to install it all over to Win 7. I've only tried one game, but it said something like 'xxxxx file is missing, reinstalling may fix this problem.' What about if I install in Win 7 first, would that stuff work in XP?

Users who are viewing this thread