1st Ashes Test Match - Reduced Skills. Full Playtest.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Thanks mate, I'll have a look tonight. Very annoyed as I spent ages doing Eng, Aus, Pakistan and SAF!

Interesting what you said about the straight bat, because I tested a while back with straight bat higher (around the same as yourself) but kept front foot and back foot low and had an increase in edges.

As you say keeping the BF/FF low will mean you will have an increase in edges. With the straight bat if you go higher than 11 you will have an increase in aerial shots. obviously it's up to the individual how they set things up but for me 11 is the max before test matches/4 day games become unrealistic.

TheSecretMoblin

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I never ever get caught and bowleds? Not sure why your having this problem. I must of had about 1 in a year since it was first addressed!

I wish I knew, I was getting about two an innings before. I wouldn't mind if they weren't so ridiculous, straight drives, flat at the bowlers toes and he dives forward taking it millimetres above the deck.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
As you say keeping the BF/FF low will mean you will have an increase in edges. With the straight bat if you go higher than 11 you will have an increase in aerial shots. obviously it's up to the individual how they set things up but for me 11 is the max before test matches/4 day games become unrealistic.
I didn't really notice that, but will keep an eye on it

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Batting
For batsmen with a batting average above 20

BF/FF: 4-9
Straight: 8-11
Flat: 6-10
Off/On: 0-5 I keep them equal. 5 for batsmen with a batting average of 50 then -1 increment for every -10 BattAv.

Pace Bowlers
1-8 for outswing
1-6 for in
seam: set to determine the bowlers quality. 18 is probably good for the likes of Steyn, Akram etc. Lower if bowling teams out too easily, increase if you are not.

cut/slower ball: Set at the same value as seam.

Spin Bowlers
Drift: 0-6
For other attributes set up so that the stock delivery is generally high due to lack of turn but set the others quite a bit lower. I will give an example when I have the time.

Mentality
All players - As you wish.

Anticipation
No higher than 17/18
Minimum anticipation (11) for batsmen with a batting average below 20,
then BatAv 20-30=12, 30-40= 13, 40-50=14, and 50+=15.

Consistency
11-13

Strength

17-22

Setting the game up like this should give a far improved performance but it must be noted that it still isn't perfect and expect a few of these values to be changed in the coming weeks.

Bump for @angad and @Langeveldt

@Langeveldt

Try these for Russia (batting)

BF/FF: 3-4, Straight:6-8, Off/On:2 ,Flat:6, Anticipation:11-13, Consistency:11.

Tailenders: 1 for all apart from anticipation:5, consistency:5

Set your bowling team as above, as I have stated many times, setting the swing low is important.

Let me know how you get on with these settings. This is from memory I'm afraid as I don't have my PS3 atm due to moving countries, but if you give me feedback I may well be able to help further.

D

Dutch

@Langeveldt

Set your bowling team as above, as I have stated many times, setting the swing low is important.

Let me know how you get on with these settings. This is from memory I'm afraid as I don't have my PS3 atm due to moving countries, but if you give me feedback I may well be able to help further.

Hey Cookie how the heck did you end up in Valencia!? Not wanting to hijack owt,....but blimey.....there's a story behind this......

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Hey Cookie how the heck did you end up in Valencia!? Not wanting to hijack owt,....but blimey.....there's a story behind this......

Same way I ended up in Aus mate, got on a plane!!;)

Seriously though, no story really Dutch, just became a tad bored with Sydney after almost a decade there, so fancied a change. Why Valencia though, I'm not entirely sure how that one came about, the missus wanted to go to Madrid or Barcelona but I wanted a smaller city so here we are!! I'm now paying a similar price in rent a month to what my apartment in Sydney was costing me a week, more importantly, red wine is ridiculously cheap and to top it off I went out on my terrace a couple of mornings ago to be greeted by four Peregrine falcons flying around above me!! As someone who was a keen ornithologist in my younger days, I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing! Apparently there's some sort of reintroduction program happening in Barca and here. Happy days!! :)

mehtaapurv

School Cricketer
Thanks for this, bowling is so satisfying straight after lunch. SA v AUS Morkel bowls short of good length just leaving the batsmen Marsh goes for the drive edges to the keeper 80/4.

After a lot of beating the bat finally an edge in the 35th over.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

@Langeveldt

Russia 22/2!! Fantastic edge to a short ball which cramped an opener for room.. Then a mistimed drive onto the stumps. It's such great cricket it makes it all the more frustrating the skilling isn't better.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Russia recovered to 102/3 at lunch. Not sure if I'm learning much here, but let's keep on going. The cricket always looks better with weaker teams however.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Russia recovered to 102/3 at lunch. Not sure if I'm learning much here, but let's keep on going.

That's the spirit!! As I remember Michael Holding once saying "look at a score and add two wickets to it, to see if it's a good score", a couple of quick wickets will change things massively, although you'll still have the tail to deal with!!

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@wealey88 @cooladi123 Hello there guys I've been trying to catch up on this thread and been watching your videos. It seems you guys get a lot of edges but I am to some degree confused on exactly how you've managed to achieve this? What are the key stats that needed to be lowered to make the AI edge more balls? Is it simply lowering BF/FF for all batsmen? or do we have to tinker with the bowlers too.

I've only just got the game few days ago and so far the only time I got edges when bowling were on a cloudy day. I'm playing on PRO mode and out of the three ODI's I've had only about 4 edges.

Sorry if this has been answered but going through the thread I saw many different formulas and not sure which one to try, thank you!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You do want to lower swing levels for seamers, and drift for spinners

Also reducing the consistency attribute of batsmen appeared to be a way to get them not to middle everything.

Unfortunately, you will never get a realistic level of edges except on cloudy days, whatever you do with stats.

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@wealey88 @cooladi123 Hello there guys I've been trying to catch up on this thread and been watching your videos. It seems you guys get a lot of edges but I am to some degree confused on exactly how you've managed to achieve this? What are the key stats that needed to be lowered to make the AI edge more balls? Is it simply lowering BF/FF for all batsmen? or do we have to tinker with the bowlers too.

I've only just got the game few days ago and so far the only time I got edges when bowling were on a cloudy day. I'm playing on PRO mode and out of the three ODI's I've had only about 4 edges.

Sorry if this has been answered but going through the thread I saw many different formulas and not sure which one to try, thank you!
I find you get more edges in test matches than one dayers

Users who are viewing this thread