AC09 Patch open beta 1 released - download it here

bad_till_bones

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
How to install and keep the Retail version on the same system.

More than likely, you'll want to keep your retail 1.0 build on your PC, especially since Open Beta 1 doesn't include online support. To do this, simply copy your Ashes Cricket 2009 installation folder, to keep your v1.0 installation, and then proceed to install the patch.

Kindly explain this.... A bit confusing. Does it say to back-up the entire "Ashes Cricket 2009" folder ( approx 2GB) or only the "Ashes Cricket 2009" exe file?

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
Have played about 45mins on hard mode and these are my thoughts.

PROS:

- Much faster menu loading times

- Now much harder to bat which is excellent. As Sureshot said, if you lose concentration you'll lose a wicket.

- I was very pleasantly surprised by the fact that playing across the line often led to leading edges to gully or cover.

- Bowling speeds are now realistic.

- Realistic bowling lengths and realistic bounce.

- Bowling requires skill and intelligence. Managed to set up Watson to edge to 3rd slip when attempting a cut shot.

- Realistic run rates.

- Spinners don't get smashed. I got hit for one 6 when using Swann. The rest of the time any ball on the stumps was generally defended.

- I haven't had a single run-out! (Although the AI seems almost over cautious now, but it's much better that way)

CONS:

- Stutter and frame rate drop when the camera pans out after the batsman has hit the ball.

- The game froze (and stopped responding) when Shane Watson fielded the ball at third man. I was left with a close up of him grimacing as he released the ball...it wasn't pretty. :D

- Ponting smashed his 3rd ball for 6 off of Jimmy, when the ball wasn't even that bad - just slightly wide and overpitched. The next over he also hit Swann for 6, but then calmed down.

- When batting, aggressive shots, even if poorly timed, seem to be able to go for 6 or at least a 4. But that might be a tweak of sorts because they do go extremely high in the air as if they were a steepler which just seems to have carried.

Last edited:

ulukai

Club Cricketer
There should be something that Codemasters as publisher can do to get the patch to be distributed to gameplanet downloaders. Might have to wait for the final patch though rather than using the beta, unfortunately.

Well, I certainly hope the final version of the patch works with the gameplanet downloaders!

For all the effort they've shown to listen to the fan-base, I find it really frustrating why us cricket fans in the US get no love whatsoever -- I have an NTSC X360 but the game is not compatible; the PC version is not available in stores etc! So either we wait for someone to ship it from overseas or we download it legally from gamesplanet and the like. If the patch eventually doesn't work with the gamesplanet version, I am going to be mad. :mad:

D

Dutch

Well I am just going to bite the bullet and post a few initial thoughts here before I go beddy-byes!

First of all: well done guys both at Transmission and at Codemasters and here at Planet Cricket: excellent work and my genuine gratitude!

A random list of thoughts:

Load times have hugely improved and menu times are quick and slick.

The obvious change in the game is the length of bowling which completely changes the game from a "get the ball on the yellow dot" game to a real cricketing experience.

I played a number of overs on normal and the ball suddenly had real pace and bite and bounce to it. I have never experienced that kind of sensation in a cricket game before. The ball felt like a hard piece of material travelling at pace and the bounce felt real. Excellent.

I really felt for the first time that I could truely intimidate and threaten a batsmen and at the same time vary things all over the pitch.

Batting is very difficult now and you really have to play well. The fieldsettings are now genuinely threatening or containing and you will really have to work to post a score.

My one sense and a question that I have is that I now have to play my shot extremely quickly to get anywhere near the ball.

I would have thought that my shot selction would need to be determined by the ball pitching rather than having to pre-judge out of the bowlers hand.

Controller reaction times seem very slow; I now have much less cntrol over when to release the ball as it flips into no-ball area very quickly.

Maybe this is just a question of getting used to. I realise that it will be part of the "making the game more challenging" line of thinking but reaction time seems very small.

The game looks goregeous absolutely goregeous with everything on and antialiasing! Excellent stuff!

Just some initial ramblings and once again thanks to all involved!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Kindly explain this.... A bit confusing. Does it say to back-up the entire "Ashes Cricket 2009" folder ( approx 2GB) or only the "Ashes Cricket 2009" exe file?

Backup the entire folder , as changes are made to the W32 file as well as the EXE.

After installing the patch, the game freezes at the load screen..is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Use the retail version of the game, not the AHEM one :spy

if i install this
will i be able to play online ?

Nope

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I would take that to mean copy the entire folder. This is pretty standard practice if you want to run multiple versions of the same game.

Sureshot

Executive member
It does say "Copy Ashes Cricket 2009 installation folder".

In case some need to know, post your thoughts and feedback in here. :)

dutchad - Not noticed controller reactions being slow.

bad_till_bones

Club Cricketer
Backup the entire folder , as changes are made to the W32 file as well as the EXE.

I would take that to mean copy the entire folder. This is pretty standard practice if you want to run multiple versions of the same game.

Ok, so that means I have to copy the entire folder to some other location. But, will I be able to play the game (for online mode) from that location (the back-up one)?

D

Dutch

It does say "Copy Ashes Cricket 2009 installation folder".

In case some need to know, post your thoughts and feedback in here. :)

dutchad - Not noticed controller reactions being slow.

Mmm, new batteries then!:D

I'll keep on testing and playing of course but it certainly felt slower than the previous version. Anyway my initial feeling is very, very positive!:)

shrenik

International Coach
played the game with the open beta and was really happy to see major bug fixes...
Thanks a lot codemasters and transmission games for this excellent patch

just found this in readme.txt
'You can now load game tweaks by providing a "tweaks.txt" file'
What is this all about.?
also,can this be used to edit graphics such as kits,bats etc and if yes then how?

D

Dutch

Just got my first ever LBW with a spinner! Mr Strauss when will you ever learn...do not play that kind of shot to Mr Vittare when he is in this kind of mood and when he has been patched to make him very, very effective! Woohooooooooooooo!

Last edited by a moderator:

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
played the game with the open beta and was really happy to see major bug fixes...
Thanks a lot codemasters and transmission games for this excellent patch

just found this in readme.txt
'You can now load game tweaks by providing a "tweaks.txt" file'
What is this all about.?
also,can this be used to edit graphics such as kits,bats etc and if yes then how?

I think that may require a facepalm from Rob. It's something we used briefly in the closed betas to test out changes. It likely does nothing in this open beta as all this stuff will have been removed.

sunnykinger

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Please Help! I get the following error message when trying to install the patch:

"Patch not compatible with installed version."

I downloaded the game legally from gamesplanet.com (paid 24.99 GBP) and had no problems installing and playing it till now. Could it be that the gamesplanet download version is different from the in-store version and patch hasn't been tested with the online version??

facing the same problem
i buyed the game
just trying to reinstall the game and then i ll apply the patch

christy_lenin

Club Captain
Just had a 20 over game in HARD mode, few noticeable changes are

bowling length is changed. Ai bowls almost every ball short of length only few fuller length deliveries (+)
AI had not bowled a single yorker (+)
Edges now carrying to slips(+)
Bowling speeds are adjusted pathan bowls at 131 and z.khan at 139 (now i have some decent bowling when playing online) (++)

Now poorly timed shots goes for boundaries (-)
batting seems like difficult because of the pace of the game increased but still 6's and 4's are easy (-)
When i defended few deliveries batsman left the ball. dono whether its a bug or a added feature.

Overall major tweaks done in bowling (+)
Batting difficulty still to be tweaked (-)

Users who are viewing this thread