Are Modern Footballers Overpaid?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Abuse. Worse players, your just typical english fans who find yourselves a scapegoat that the media choose. etc etc Gerrards just as bad if not worse but because he's Mr Liverpool no-one mentions it.

Anyway 35K a year for a championship player SS? Really?! Thats a hell of a lot.

I think everyone mentions what a diver Gerrard had been over the last year.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
? Not half as much as Ronaldo, and theres far more pressing issues to bring up than diving in football, like dangerous tackles, respect for the the ref etc. Instead though people choose to bring up the issues the media tells them too.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Diving is cheating so it deserves just as much coverage as a bad tackle or ref abuse.

I know that I, on numerous occasions, slated Gerrard for his diving.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Diving no way deserves as much coverage as dangerous tackles! Unless someone diving ends a players career anyway.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
lol, Arsenal fan slating diving, Arsenal have been one of the worst teams for diving with players like Pires, Henry and Adebayor but when Ronaldo does it a couple of times (he has cut back a lot over the past couple of seasons), everyone has a go at him.

That is completely beside the point. Plus, calling Henry and Adebayor (who dived once) is pathetic! I guess because Pires dived, I should condone diving! That tis absolute rubbish.

Joe, when I mean dangerous tackle, I don't mean career threatening. That's in another boat.

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Now that is just kicking a football about!

Im sorry but when did being a footballer cost a lot of money. They probably get most of their kit free through endorsements.

The only reason you make thing it is expensive is because of the lifetsyle they live. But they only live that lifestyle because they are overpaid.

If i had too choose between earning my money by being a buisness man and being a footballer. I would much rather be a buisnessman. It requires alot more patience and harder hours. I'm then putting something back into the economy.

Some clubs at grass roots level don't have anough money for kit. Some of you are just tied up with the big names.

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

covlad-99

International Cricketer
That is completely beside the point. Plus, calling Henry and Adebayor (who dived once) is pathetic! I guess because Pires dived, I should condone diving! That tis absolute rubbish.

Joe, when I mean dangerous tackle, I don't mean career threatening. That's in another boat.

I'm sorry Will, but Arsenal might as well play in France, or Spain or somewhere. To field a team with none or next to none English players in an English league is pitiful. Arsene Wenger may be a very good manager, but he is forgetting that Arsenal aren't a French club, and he is spoiling the game somewhat. And as for diving, Jose Antonio Reyes, now of Atletico Madrid was one of the worst cheats I have ever seen, heck, my 5 year old girl cousin could have taken him clean out with a little finger. As for Henry and Adebayor, I don't think they dive that much at all.
Also I was watching the African Cup of nations recently, and I was absolutely dusgusted by soem of the teams. Espeacially Egypt, the amount of timewasting and diving they did was shocking. And I thought the Italians were bad.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sorry Will, but Arsenal might as well play in France, or Spain or somewhere. To field a team with none or next to none English players in an English league is pitiful. Arsene Wenger may be a very good manager, but he is forgetting that Arsenal aren't a French club, and he is spoiling the game somewhat. And as for diving, Jose Antonio Reyes, now of Atletico Madrid was one of the worst cheats I have ever seen, heck, my 5 year old girl cousin could have taken him clean out with a little finger. As for Henry and Adebayor, I don't think they dive that much at all.

I'm sorry but what the hell does that have to do with this topic?

He's not ruining the English game. Man Utd and Chelsea have the funds to coax young English players to their squad for big wages. We've tried to buy them but money talks. Instead, we're left with overpriced players that aren't good enough like Theo Walcott. And what happens when we do buy them, they get slated for not being good enough.

If young people could take a second to stop impregnating 13 year old girls and happy slapping people on the street to kick, maybe they could kick a ball around more. The simple fact is that English youth are lazy and not good enough and neither are the facilities for bringin up youth.

But, of course, it's easy to blame a successful team rather than take a look at ourselves.

Do I wish there were more English people in our squad? Yes.
Would I replace anyone in our team? No.

As for teams in the ACoN, they showed more desire and passion than anyone in the England does.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Although such jobs as teaching, police, doctors etc are important and fairly difficult, they do not need the same level of skill at what they do as a top class footballer needs to be successful.
People with special talents which entertain people on a large scale regularly will obviously earn a lot of money, and rightly so in my opinion.

Ok, so kicking a ball around requires more skill than saving someone's life? The fact is, footballers should get ?10,000 a week maximum. Who really needs more than that????? I could 'survive' extremely easily on that, no problem!

Are footballers really overpaid? If you were Frank Lampard, earning about ?50K a week, and suddenly your pay was slashed to say ?1K a week, you are going to be in massive debts and you won't have the money to pay these debts and so on... And then it leaves you in an awful position, so, even if footballers are overpaid, there is really nothing we can do about it unless footballers change their lifestyles. In my opinion, if you can afford it, why not pay more. Doctors that perform heart surgery etc. are UNDERpaid, and should get paifd a lot more than they do. evertonfan, proffesional footballers do not just kick a ball. Kicking a ball is putting foot to ball, which anyone in the world can do. But, being a proffesional footballer takes lots more skill. EG: Being able to get into the right positions, be tactically aware, being able to communicate as a team.....The list goes on. So, I dn't think footballers are overpaid at all. As being a footballer costs a lot of money, and its a huge business, but the argument about Surgeons being paid less is invalid. The question should be, Are Surgeons Underpaid? And I bet the same answer will come up every time.

Well, there is no going back now, but the situation shouldn't have been allowed to spiral out of control like this. I mean someone like Woodgate (who is very average) earns ?60,000 a week and the really good players are now pushing ?100,000 (if they haven't already got there)!

Still, at least they're actually good at something! What I really can't stand is those raking in millions who actually aren't really that good at anything (BB contestants, etc)!

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I am oing to defend Ronny but come on lets not turn thi into an anti-Arsenal war because then someone will say something anti united and I'll have to join in :p

PhilD123

International Coach
I think everyone knows that Ronaldo does more that just kick a ball about, there are the fantastic gymnastics involved in falling over whenever someone comes within 5 feet of him ;)
Hah, from a Liverpool supporter, the Liverpool who have Gerrard. And no, whenever someone mentions diving, they always mention Ronaldo, a point you've just illustrated. Over the last 2 years, Gerrard has been worse than Ronaldo. There's the abuse you were waiting for.:p

I'm getting really annoyed with Wes Brown at the moment, or more to the point, his agent. He wants 50k a week to sign the new contract at his hometown club, the club he's been at since he was 12. It looks like he's leaving in the summer for free because he wont sign for 40k. He's our 3rd choice centre back, our 2nd choice right back, it's ridiculous.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
for the money he's asking we could get someone like Daniel Alves (which we probably will, not obviously alves but a quality right back)

Users who are viewing this thread