Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Cricket nuts mate simple as that. Still great work on the beta team. Plus the talk is more to do with the old build us simple humans:rolleyes are playing.
For me Edges then AI fields and stats and simple bug fixes.

Cricket nuts yes, but we arnt idiots.

Bug fixes and fixes to modes etc etc I can understand.

But people are so unrealistic is crazy and just want to focus on negatives.

I’m as picky as they come but I still am realistic to know it’s a computer game.

If I nick it I nick it, if my input isn’t not perfect perfect perfect and I nick it then fine. Next batsmen comes in.

It doesn’t need a full on forensic breakdown.

I can see why they choose to no longer interact on here anymore.

It’s not that people are talking rubbish, it’s just the lack of reality.

Maybe I’m just different, I just play.

If I nick off I just carry on.

I don’t mind some randomness because like all game eventually they become a bit too easy.

@blockerdave i get your point on physics that’s legit, but again I can see past it and still enjoy myself. Sure ideally you would want it adjusted in real time it looked fine.

It’s only when people go slow mo close up it highlights it. But again what your saying is correct

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, I appreciate the effort and passion of the beta testers. I'm looking forward to the next patch as much as anyone and also looking forward to complaining about it.

I can't wait for it but take there time i'm not a child unlike some on here a Dutch:wave
NO rush as making a game like Ashes balanced is not a simple fix.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors

I’m as picky as they come but I still am realistic to know it’s a computer game.

If I nick it I nick it, if my input isn’t not perfect perfect perfect and I nick it then fine. Next batsmen comes in.

I don’t mind some randomness because like all game eventually they become a bit too easy.

@blockerdave i get your point on physics that’s legit, but again I can see past it and still enjoy myself. Sure ideally you would want it adjusted in real time it looked fine.

It’s only when people go slow mo close up it highlights it. But again what your saying is correct

I'm with you on that. I just want edges/ any edges don't care that much about them looking a little wrong and good AI fields/ normal fixes. I just want a game to play that I enjoy, sad but never enjoyed Ashes but loved the last two as the patches.

PS How about a cricketonline mode where every edge is 100% real life a sim. Just teasing mate.:cheers

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

It's not that I can't see past it I can, stuff like that has been in all 3 games (but worse I think in ashes) and I've still put in tons of hours.

But there is a deleterious effect of these kinds of things - when the outcome has no internal logic you start thinking - am I out because I effed up, cuz I got a magic ball, or the game just said "that's it for you pal."

Would you be happy if say, you're 9 down batting for the draw, 3 overs left and you had that dismissal Dutch showed? I don't think I would be...

I'm not blind to the progress those 3 vids of your 2 edges and dutch's one show particularly yours as I know how much you banged on about not edging. It's encouraging sure. And overall the feedback from you guys is looking good. But I only walked away from the beta, not from being a miserable nit picking bell end.

sonimrajk

International Cricketer
Shame FRAPS is causing the PC to mess up as a highlights package would be too much. But as it stands 0 bullshi*t you lot are in for a treat. It’s proper cricket. With the AI not seeminly trying to follow a set run rate it feels so much more organic and natural. Edges are flying everywhere, bowleds clean and off inside edges. LBW’s all sorts.

Mentalities are clear and affect the flow of a game. Batter are slowing down or accelerating due to match situation..

Bowled the Aussies out for 320 odd and went for a little 10 overs bat....
ALSO... tailenders feel rubbish!!!!

Thanks for the updates:thumbs
Now waiting for Day2 batting experience..... Wish it will be as good as as bowling..

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Short answer: yes batting is easier.

Long answer:
Even though I'm not necessarily getting more runs I do think batting is easier. The key issues I have are:

• AI Bowling isn't challenging, there no sense that they are trying to get me out, just that they are delivering balls and eventually I'll make a mistake.
  • There is a no discernible difference in pitches and consistent feeling that as soon as the ball pitches it dies. The only real challenge I find is from fast bowlers, because the timing window is narrower or spinners because 1) I've always been crap at playing spinners on the game and 2) they don't bowl balls consistent with their
  • It never really feels like sideways movement is an issue because the balls are just a miss-mash pattern of short, full, good.
  • AI fields don't feel as though they are linked to how bowlers ball (e.g. a heavy offside field with offside bowling) and it only feels like a field setting creates pressure by coincidence. But even if that pressure is created the field will change anyway. Field settings in general could be improved but equally it should be more nuanced then just having x number outside the circle.
I have other more general problems with how batting works but they are more to do with how many bloody buttons you have to press.

The fact that I have had some good batting experiences recently is probably a result of weeks of tweaking of skills (I've mostly been playing with the WC 92 teams I made), eventually having to change some gameplay modifiers and then moving up to hardest batting. I agree with @79cricket I don't think that is the sign of a good game if you have to spend weeks getting the sweet spot.

I've said this before (sorry @79cricket) but I think there are way too many variables in terms of difficulty options to produce a game that is consistent for everyone regardless of their skill or the difficulty they choose. I don't know what the best way of doing it would be (DBC 14 seemed to work well) maybe difficulty being determined by how many batting aids would make more sense. If you use the aerial marker (though I don't know why anyone would want to) and the pitch marker batting will be easier than just the pitch marker or using none at all. I would love to be able to play the game with no batting markers but on the cam I use (batting far) the angle at which the camera looks down markers it difficult to see or assess the ball. Being able to adjust cam position might help.

IMO better AI fields, especially in shorter formats, and bowlers bowling to their fields most of the time (except for lower ranked bowlers or part timers) should make things much better and may be the short term fix.

Kass D

County Cricketer
So ai is not trying to maintain 2.6 RR . Anymore. If so that would be very refreshing. Good work people. Weldon

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
@WealeyH Still playing with the speed up than normal? Would like to see how the game plays in default settings..

Also would like to know that whether the patch changes are reflected in women's cricket as well..I don't see any thought process going behind that as the concentration has always been on men's cricket..How's the carry in that now? Are the shots varied based on the delivery bowled?

Last edited:

Kass D

County Cricketer
With what we are playing right now. If i really feel like getting a wicket, if the ai batsman is a left hander. What i do is,

1) set 2 slips and gully
2) get a right arm fast bowler to come wide over the wicket.
3) ball out swingers and leg cutters on middle and off line.

A wicket within 3 overs for sure.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Can you beta boys ask the devs to incorporate random magic delivery based on condition and bowlers skill (the ball which moves a bit more than usual , gets more bounce/spin/seam) resulting in a chance or wicket , this way it will be more satisfying for us as a bowler. Remember Mitchel Starc magic bowl in the Ashes?[DOUBLEPOST=1519708926][/DOUBLEPOST]Also it will be great if edges are due to wrong feet movement instead of just dice rolls.

grkrama

National Board President
But there is a deleterious effect of these kinds of things - when the outcome has no internal logic you start thinking - am I out because I effed up, cuz I got a magic ball, or the game just said "that's it for you pal."

I think this is going to be always there in some form or other for this iteration, as the underlying engine is the same as 17. But what i think can be done is Minimize them as much as possible with tweaks around them with matts magic touch. Though getting to that point is going to take time and lot of rework i guess.This is my opinion.

Getting edges of proper deviation or mistakes has been a pet peeve of tj and myself as you know. That said general improvements overall is also vital as many other areas need to be brought up to scratch as we try to get the best balance there.

Kass D

County Cricketer
Can you beta boys ask the devs to incorporate random magic delivery based on condition and bowlers skill (the ball which moves a bit more than usual , gets more bounce/spin/seam) resulting in a chance or wicket , this way it will be more satisfying for us as a bowler. Remember Mitchel Starc magic bowl in the Ashes?[DOUBLEPOST=1519708926][/DOUBLEPOST]Also it will be great if edges are due to wrong feet movement instead of just dice rolls.
To be fair i think its probobly impossible to program a batsman to use worng feet movement. Maybe be . Depending on skill level and confidence they can program the AI batsman to play away from the body.

Then again, i guess that requires different animations. Making a complax cricket game cant be that easy. Its not like making a football game for sure . Or tannins for that matter

Last edited:

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
I am talking about subtle use of LS when getting on to the ball , if you didn't get close enough you edge it? sounds fair to me.

Users who are viewing this thread