Batting in career mode is a serious issue

hillaire

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Im glad to see that m not the only one who hates the automatic skill bump. I enjoy playing at pro level because you have all the game and abit more leniency if you make a mistake. Im sure I will go to veteran at some time but I feel I am a better judge of when and how for my own enjoyment it should happen.

I hope they take another look at this, I've gone back to practise matches at veteran level to get my confidence up but Im abit sad that Im not spending that time progressing my career as I was enjoying that and feel it is the best game mode.

ispeedfreak

School Cricketer
Would someone be able to explain what is the use of the Left analogue stick on the xbox 360 controller? This is for the pc version of the game I read everywhere you can control foot placement with that but it baffles me as its not doing what its suppose to do.

This is a good game but I hate the difficulty bump... I started off at rookie mode. just about got use to the batting techniques then I get bumped off to amateur difficulty and now I can barely even hit the ball again. 5 ducks in a row. Don't like this at all. I should be able to choose the difficulty whenever I feel comfortable to do so not when the game decides to. i've spent hours in the nets trying to master the timings, yet when i go in the match, it just does not work. I always practice with Poor batting skill/Pro bowler to match the level of my career player skill but this still does not help.

Same with the bowling. LAS is suppose to control the swing, yet all my delivery just go straight with no swing. once in a million it will deliver a leg/off cutter and you are left wondering how it managed to do that! Very baffling set of controls mapping.

Skankhunt 42

Banned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Would someone be able to explain what is the use of the Left analogue stick on the xbox 360 controller? This is for the pc version of the game I read everywhere you can control foot placement with that but it baffles me as its not doing what its suppose to do.

This is a good game but I hate the difficulty bump... I started off at rookie mode. just about got use to the batting techniques then I get bumped off to amateur difficulty and now I can barely even hit the ball again. 5 ducks in a row. Don't like this at all. I should be able to choose the difficulty whenever I feel comfortable to do so not when the game decides to. i've spent hours in the nets trying to master the timings, yet when i go in the match, it just does not work. I always practice with Poor batting skill/Pro bowler to match the level of my career player skill but this still does not help.

Same with the bowling. LAS is suppose to control the swing, yet all my delivery just go straight with no swing. once in a million it will deliver a leg/off cutter and you are left wondering how it managed to do that! Very baffling set of controls mapping.

Buddy!! as far my controller is concerned, well both swing and footwork functioning well as it suppose to! But, Me too started my INTL Career with 7 ducks in a row!!! :D :D
I kept on smashing runs in domestic competitions and in t20's well, i was a constant centurion. But in INTL arena, My batting was ...... well... you know! :D

So, what I learnt from the 3 years of career, that you should upgrade your skills by putting a show in domestic arena, practicing in Net and scoring 10-15 odd runs in your first year of International career! if you're calm like Dravid, well you may get few 50's as well but again, it's about upgrading skill-set! nothing more... nothing less!

Keep playing buddy! :D

rahul911

Club Cricketer
How do i defend after walking down the pitch?
I always watch AI doing it but i can't

Also as a bowling allrounder whenever I use pull and cut i get caught. Is there any way to play those shots little bit on the ground?

balkeet

International Coach
How do i defend after walking down the pitch?
I always watch AI doing it but i can't

Also as a bowling allrounder whenever I use pull and cut i get caught. Is there any way to play those shots little bit on the ground?

for defending by advancing press RB,las forward and ras backward
pull shots go in air if played early.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
tbh, I still find batting overly difficult. you watch a test like the india v england one on the other day and you can see it is possible to have conditions in which batting isn't impossible. this is completely ignored in the game where batting is always an uphill challenge.

the fast bowling is just too quick, sersiously, big ant know when the timing meters get activated and they must at some point have though 0.3 of a second in which to decide and play a bowler over 80 mph is not a game, it's a test of freakish reaction skills.

I actually find it harder post patch. before I used to get out chipping all the time to long on. now I get out if try to leg glance a ball back of a length because it will just pull it into the man at square legs hands. If I mange to avoid that I will get out to an edge. the fatigue meters being improved is good for realism but also means you are facing 80pmh bowlers the entire innings, I've passed 50 once in about 60 innings.

imo batting should be hard because bowlers would be bowling at you in the channel, making you worry about playing on or off or straight, and movement making those decisions tricky. in the game the bowler can spray the ball all over the place on a dead pitch and he's still going to get you because every shot requires insane concentration due to the timing involved.

I'm kinda get a bit frustrated in the game and I see it going back in the box permanently as there is just a complete absence of fun involved. I've given this patch ample time to bed in but yeah, as a cricket simulator it's alright, as a game it sucks.

Last edited:

Afriditown07

Club Cricketer
Honestly I feel the intense batting difficulty is what makes it so intriguing. We're all so used to Cricket games of the past in which batting was so easily mastered, which got boring pretty fast. It can be frustrating at times but the difficulty in batting is what I think gives career mode its x factor.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
the fast bowling is just too quick, sersiously, big ant know when the timing meters get activated and they must at some point have though 0.3 of a second in which to decide and play a bowler over 80 mph is not a game, it's a test of freakish reaction skills.

in the game the bowler can spray the ball all over the place on a dead pitch and he's still going to get you because every shot requires insane concentration due to the timing involved.

The change I'm hoping to be able to make via mods is to move all the timing windows later, to the point in the delivery where I would begin my irl downswing. This will prob break the animations but I bat on pro cam / invisible batsman so it doesn't really bother me.

I'm expecting this to give me more time to make a shot choice without having to slow the deliveries down further, and also improve my timing because I've got more chance to judge the pace, and because the current timing window feels unnatural for me personally.

D

Deleted member 9102

Honestly I feel the intense batting difficulty is what makes it so intriguing. We're all so used to Cricket games of the past in which batting was so easily mastered, which got boring pretty fast. It can be frustrating at times but the difficulty in batting is what I think gives career mode its x factor.
I agree, I've put many hours into the game on Veteran yet I feel like I'm only just scratching the surface and still have much to learn and bad habits to get out of...

That's in stark contrast to AC09 and pretty much every other cricket game where all you had to do was aim in a gap in the fielding radar and time it right. Being able to see where the ball would go well in advance of the ball leaving the bowler's hand made batting feel very artificial and repetitive. You could just predetermine every shot.

I have much more fun in DBC misjudging my shots and throwing wickets away than I have had scoring freely in other cricket games.

MystiqueMyth

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
tbh, I still find batting overly difficult. you watch a test like the india v england one on the other day and you can see it is possible to have conditions in which batting isn't impossible. this is completely ignored in the game where batting is always an uphill challenge.

I actually find it harder post patch. before I used to get out chipping all the time to long on. now I get out if try to leg glance a ball back of a length because it will just pull it into the man at square legs hands. If I mange to avoid that I will get out to an edge. the fatigue meters being improved is good for realism but also means you are facing 80pmh bowlers the entire innings, I've passed 50 once in about 60 innings.

imo batting should be hard because bowlers would be bowling at you in the channel, making you worry about playing on or off or straight, and movement making those decisions tricky. in the game the bowler can spray the ball all over the place on a dead pitch and he's still going to get you because every shot requires insane concentration due to the timing involved.

I'm kinda get a bit frustrated in the game and I see it going back in the box permanently as there is just a complete absence of fun involved. I've given this patch ample time to bed in but yeah, as a cricket simulator it's alright, as a game it sucks.

pretty much.. i agree with this.. batting seems so difficult especially for someone with slow reflexes.. the time to judge both footwork and shot is too small.. they should come up with game speed adjustment just like we used to have in Cricket 07..

amit5556

Club Cricketer
when i wants to play straight drive, bowler always catches it... because of this i couldnt make 50 on carrier mode as difficulty level is legend.. :(

Jadel

Club Captain
I really don't like the batting now, it's much worse than previous patch.

Every single leg glance Flys directly to a fielder, same with most cut shots.

It's always been bloody hard but now it's irritating too.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
That's in stark contrast to AC09 and pretty much every other cricket game where all you had to do was aim in a gap in the fielding radar and time it right. Being able to see where the ball would go well in advance of the ball leaving the bowler's hand made batting feel very artificial and repetitive. You could just predetermine every shot.

Not quite how it worked: the basic ethos was to have the player setting up their shot in stages. Pre delivery you were looking where you wanted to hit it, moving feet during the run-up and then the timing on the shot + position + footwork = how close the ball went to where you wanted it to go.

The added layer with IC10 was that each ball was executed differently: the better the ball the smaller the timing window a batsman would have. This allowed the player a brief window in order to change their shot to something less risky or to a slog if a poor ball.

This made it essentially a game of risk management: apart from basic tutorials for footwork there was little we needed to teach the audience in order for them to feel skillful when winning, and the HUD made it clear what the user had done wrong if they failed (IE wrong footwork/timing). So it made it very cohesive and easy to play: essentially the difficulty levels (and the skills) just changed the shape of the timing window: again, the player could see the size of the window (and the accuracy of the "wedge" on the fielding radar) and instantly know how good the batsman was. They just then had to keep an eye on the score to know how much risk to take (in fact, if they were playing the Wii version, the game actually suggested how much risk to take). Cricket is a game all about resources: very complex mathematics - It's very hard to explain that to a casual player...

Users who are viewing this thread