Console Patch 3 Release?

...they obviously got rejected for "Patch 3 Bewbs" when submitting in the "Vatican" region.

It depends on the specific problem - sometimes, submission will uncover a problem that is significant enough that it justifies or necessitates resubmission in other regions - or at least the other regions on the particular platform. But other issues are more technical - and don't have impacts outside of the specific version - or aren't noticeable to a wide enough audience to justify the delay and cost inherent in attempting to resolve more widely.

It all sounds like witchcraft to me...

Sounds like good news then , as Ross mentioned that its a minor technical issue , hence only the one region thats needed.

Here`s hoping ...

Be thankful - some other companies would have sold you a further two roster-update-only games by now.
I guess I was much more than being thankful as I bought the game on the day of release with USD 125 and had been waiting for the never coming patch 3 to arrive from the last one year.

I guess I was much more than being thankful as I bought the game on the day of release with USD 125 and had been waiting for the never coming patch 3 to arrive from the last one year.

I feel that frustration, but a patch is always a bonus. They didn't have to support the game: it wasn't broken or incomplete. They've added features, balanced, refined... It's really way more than they had to do.
I understand that some things were promised, but there was never a timeframe and they ARE still delivering it all at their own cost and no massive benefit: sure there is a little goodwill to be maintained, but they could easily have added a few things and packaged it as a new game. In fact, I'll tell you that that's exactly what I would have been advising had it been my project as most round here will tell you. It makes zero commercial sense to do it like this, which is why I respect it.

Thanks @Chief - the cost overruns because of failed submission have been huge, it certainly makes no sense at all at a commercial level.

@cricket_online The regional submissions is a killer, same game, multiple submissions, different outcomes from the platform holders based on region even though they are all meant to do the same tests and look for the same issues. It does lead to different code being run based on region which is far from ideal, this is mostly an issue for our support (which version are you running and from where?) and for online when people from different regions play each other. We decide on a case by case basis whether to update all versions or not.

We've had numerous resubmissions of this code because of a failure of one platform in one region. Luckily the current issue is not big enough to warrant that, it will be just the one resubmission.

Just hearing how things are going and where things are at every 2-3 days makes the wait no problem at all for me. Even if it's no progression, it still keeps me aware the process is still moving along as much as possible.

I feel it's pretty rough for Big Ant in relation to the amount of resources having to be poured into this.

@cricket_online The regional submissions is a killer, same game, multiple submissions, different outcomes from the platform holders based on region even though they are all meant to do the same tests and look for the same issues. It does lead to different code being run based on region which is far from ideal, this is mostly an issue for our support (which version are you running and from where?) and for online when people from different regions play each other. We decide on a case by case basis whether to update all versions or not.

We've had numerous resubmissions of this code because of a failure of one platform in one region. Luckily the current issue is not big enough to warrant that, it will be just the one resubmission.

I hear you Ross, and online compatibility across different versions and version management are what I had in mind when I posted that query. Can't really understand why platform holders enforce separate submissions for different regions. I can understand multiple regions from pricing perspective but not from testing/certification perspective. If a game doesn't have any censored content (for a sports game that's the case), no point in running the same game via every region's testing/certification process. Do it once and push it to all the regions. Best of luck for the resubmission and am Keeping my fingers crossed for the same. Can't wait to get my hands on Patch 3!

but they could easily have added a few things and packaged it as a new game
This sort've thing used to work, but doesn't so much anymore. Games do have installments that are basically enhancements, but now the enhancements need to be more than the likes of what was pulled with International Cricket 2010. I can see what you mean in relation to DBC, as the game is solid as is and it sounds like Big Ant will have a multitude of enhancements in mind for the next installment. "Adding a few things and packaging it as a new game" is now a recipe for 2 weeks of good sales and paying the price afterwards as reviews, consumer feedback and word of mouth destroy the game's legs.

In fact, I'll tell you that that's exactly what I would have been advising had it been my project as most round here will tell you. It makes zero commercial sense to do it like this, which is why I respect it.
It makes little commercial sense, but I wouldn't say zero. Big Ant's games seem to me to be building a fanbase and reputation which is in part no doubt standing on a foundation of a few key ideals. I'm sure value for money is in there alongside things like quality, depth, realism, integrity and support.

The game has been heavily supported to date and I'm sure Patch 3 wouldn't have been necessary before making the next DBC, but had neither of the first two patches been issued, I'm not sure the same could be said. Patch 1 for example, fixed some things that were they still there, would've somewhat put many of the casual audience off the series in future.

Here`s just hoping that the Bloody bugger of a code gets passed . I`m Sure Ross is also sick of this little Gremlin spoiling the party .

As Iversen was mentioning , the mere fact that Bigantstudios is now feeding us with info , is making the waiti that much more bearable when one is in the know .

Just hearing how things are going and where things are at every 2-3 days makes the wait no problem at all for me. Even if it's no progression, it still keeps me aware the process is still moving along as much as possible.

I feel it's pretty rough for Big Ant in relation to the amount of resources having to be poured into this.

This. If you go back to my original post to start this thread it was mostly about the lack of communication regarding these delays and that the unknown was what was getting people worked up. Now that we are getting steady info on what is happening and where everything is at it does make the wait a lot easier. It also slows the ridiculous speculation and theories a little which is always nice :)

This sort've thing used to work, but doesn't so much anymore. Games do have installments that are basically enhancements, but now the enhancements need to be more than the likes of what was pulled with International Cricket 2010. I can see what you mean in relation to DBC, as the game is solid as is and it sounds like Big Ant will have a multitude of enhancements in mind for the next installment. "Adding a few things and packaging it as a new game" is now a recipe for 2 weeks of good sales and paying the price afterwards as reviews, consumer feedback and word of mouth destroy the game's legs.

Hugely disagree with most of this. And I mean that both objectively in the case of IC10, and subjectively about modern titles. I think the strategy of using Steam to have a rolling version being upgraded constantly for the hardcore fans (probably on a subscription model) and then doing a new console version every couple of years from wherever you've got to (probably tying them in to real world events for extra publicity) is absolutely the best way. That way feedback/word of mouth from the core stays high PLUS the more mainstream audience get the best possible product for their every-two-years-or-so update.

It makes little commercial sense, but I wouldn't say zero. Big Ant's games seem to me to be building a fanbase and reputation which is in part no doubt standing on a foundation of a few key ideals. I'm sure value for money is in there alongside things like quality, depth, realism, integrity and support.
The game has been heavily supported to date and I'm sure Patch 3 wouldn't have been necessary before making the next DBC, but had neither of the first two patches been issued, I'm not sure the same could be said. Patch 1 for example, fixed some things that were they still there, would've somewhat put many of the casual audience off the series in future.
I agree that there is a fanbase being built for these games but, from a commercial standpoint, it still doesn't make sense because you're starting with too small an audience. And this isn't me being "business guy" and talking about *profit* - I'm coming at it from an angle of sustainability. I want to see these games continue!

Personally I am immensely impressed with how BA have continued to support this product, especially as Ross had stated it had run at a loss, the game hasn't been a success financially and yet still they continue, even adding things that weren't originally in the game, rather than just fixing issues/bugs. My worry is that all the support may impart on the next versions budget, and a lot of what could've been included may miss out. I agree with @Chief, a lot could've been held back for a sequel, and I hope when DB16 is released we don't have a repeat of the moaning about price. I would be happy to pay more than I did, or indeed pay for add ons in future knowing that I am not just paying for a game, but also ongoing support, feedback and most of all, the possibility of a world class franchise in future. I hope people realise just how much the BA guys have given us, for free, and reward them with our commitment to the future of such a rare commodity these days.

Users who are viewing this thread