Cricket 19 General Discussion

D

Dutch

I started a match with a preset for physics loaded. It had increased bounce and low bowling speed. It was a bit too much so I took it down but it didn't seem to change the actual bounce. Haven't tried through different sessions/saves just playing around with pitches.

View attachment 231091

The faded image is a with bounce at 6, changed from 56 which is the other.

Increased to 100 and no change.

Edit - I did save/exit/load and the change worked.
So if I understand you correctly: if you make a change....save exit reload?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't want to be that guy, but has anyone been caught in the ring while batting? (Unless playing a slog shot)?

I remember batting in the past, mistiming it and being caught at cover, but I haven't had anything like that in at least 300 overs of batting... I have fairly challenging sliders set up and I mistime the ball often, and get out edged plenty of times...

@blockerdave @WealeyH @Dutch @wasteyouryouth
I get caught behind most of the time but that's cause I'm crap. T20 I'm probably out caught by an infielder 50% of the time but that's cause it loops up and then run back to catch it off a slog because I'm crap.

I don't think playing a normal shot you're going to get out to an infielder unless you middle it to a very close fielder because they stand too far back and the ball goes into the ground maybe just in between silly point and short cover position. If you play a bad shot, generally it seems to lose ball speed and goes into the ground anyway. I can't think how you coluld actually hit one straight to a default cover or mid on using any of the shots. Aggressive tend to go on the ground but very fast and lofted tend to go miles or loop up.

So if I understand you correctly: if you make a change....save exit reload?
Sir, this is correct, Sir.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I get caught behind most of the time but that's cause I'm crap. T20 I'm probably out caught by an infielder 50% of the time but that's cause it loops up and then run back to catch it off a slog because I'm crap.

I don't think playing a normal shot you're going to get out to an infielder unless you middle it to a very close fielder because they stand too far back and the ball goes into the ground maybe just in between silly point and short cover position. If you play a bad shot, generally it seems to lose ball speed and goes into the ground anyway. I can't think how you coluld actually hit one straight to a default cover or mid on using any of the shots. Aggressive tend to go on the ground but very fast and lofted tend to go miles or loop up.

Sir, this is correct, Sir.

I have a rule when batting, rather like IRL, that if I get tied down, I have to play an aggressive shot, or an aggressive ground shot to get myself out of trouble, and the more aggressive the player the earlier I have to do that.

I just had a moment where Root 14(51) was getting tied down by Lyon, and played an aggressive ground shot to a slightly slower ball, the ball went straight to mid off where it was caught. Batting is very fulfilling, I have been tinkering with sliders all lock down. A moment where you have to tell a whole forum, and a moment from a fantastic game that makes the one or two random omissions all the more baffling and frustrating.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't want to be that guy, but has anyone been caught in the ring while batting? (Unless playing a slog shot)?

I remember batting in the past, mistiming it and being caught at cover, but I haven't had anything like that in at least 300 overs of batting... I have fairly challenging sliders set up and I mistime the ball often, and get out edged plenty of times...

@blockerdave @WealeyH @Dutch @wasteyouryouth

Quite often. Typically playing forward to something too short and it hits me high and balloons up, or aggressive grounded shots mistimed

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I have a rule when batting, rather like IRL, that if I get tied down, I have to play an aggressive shot, or an aggressive ground shot to get myself out of trouble, and the more aggressive the player the earlier I have to do that.

I just had a moment where Root 14(51) was getting tied down by Lyon, and played an aggressive ground shot to a slightly slower ball, the ball went straight to mid off where it was caught. Batting is very fulfilling, I have been tinkering with sliders all lock down. A moment where you have to tell a whole forum, and a moment from a fantastic game that makes the one or two random omissions all the more baffling and frustrating.
Going off on a ramble here...

I probably do the same with most batsman and bowlers; basic role-playing. I'd like to see the game find a way to make this more of an actual game thing. Work on 1 session = 1 hour and with the aim to deliver a 15 hour game with some more 'stuff' from a gameplay and cosmetic perspective. I'd sooner see more done with gameplay and our input into proceedings but cosmetically a lot could be added to give it a bit more oomph. There's lots of little cut scenes that could be added to appear at specific times (umpire brining out a box of balls, someone in the crowd carrying a beer snake at about 4pm, someone dozing off in the crowd, a hoard of Richie Benaud's taking their seats). I'm sure they aren't easy to just throw together but fill the game with interesting stuff, have some be ground/country specific too cause I don't know how many beer snakes you see in Dubai. Test cricket can have slow periods or slow matches but it doesn't mean the game shouldn't try to distract you from that fact. Doesn't have to be giving you things to do but maybe more to do if you want it.

I think the relationship between skills and confidence could be done a little better. You can 'play' like Alastair Cook but you don't need to. Now if there's a mechanic that does more to encourage you to play to his strengths to make it easier to be more expansive that'd be awesome. Leg glances and cut shots for an hour and then you can make think about going for riskier shots in his repetoire. I do miss the back foot/front foot straight bat/cross bat system on the original DBC. I always felt I could identify a weakness with this one I always come back to the question: how do you bowl to a player when the only weakness you know is 'special shots'?

I also don't think the question of it needing to cater for casual players is relevant for test matches. If you're going to put in the time to play one test match let alone an Ashes series you're not looking for a casual experience. You might play it over several weeks or even months but you're committed. Moreover, I don't think it needs to be there for one dayers and T20 initially; the real-life contrivances (powerplay, limited overs) transfer well enough to make the experience in game satisfying enough. But I find test cricket in the game to not be a good return on investment for my time.

That's just how I feel though I know lots of people get loads of enjoyment out of the test matches. So perhaps I'm the problem!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Going off on a ramble here...

I probably do the same with most batsman and bowlers; basic role-playing. I'd like to see the game find a way to make this more of an actual game thing. Work on 1 session = 1 hour and with the aim to deliver a 15 hour game with some more 'stuff' from a gameplay and cosmetic perspective. I'd sooner see more done with gameplay and our input into proceedings but cosmetically a lot could be added to give it a bit more oomph. There's lots of little cut scenes that could be added to appear at specific times (umpire brining out a box of balls, someone in the crowd carrying a beer snake at about 4pm, someone dozing off in the crowd, a hoard of Richie Benaud's taking their seats). I'm sure they aren't easy to just throw together but fill the game with interesting stuff, have some be ground/country specific too cause I don't know how many beer snakes you see in Dubai. Test cricket can have slow periods or slow matches but it doesn't mean the game shouldn't try to distract you from that fact. Doesn't have to be giving you things to do but maybe more to do if you want it.

I think the relationship between skills and confidence could be done a little better. You can 'play' like Alastair Cook but you don't need to. Now if there's a mechanic that does more to encourage you to play to his strengths to make it easier to be more expansive that'd be awesome. Leg glances and cut shots for an hour and then you can make think about going for riskier shots in his repetoire. I do miss the back foot/front foot straight bat/cross bat system on the original DBC. I always felt I could identify a weakness with this one I always come back to the question: how do you bowl to a player when the only weakness you know is 'special shots'?

I also don't think the question of it needing to cater for casual players is relevant for test matches. If you're going to put in the time to play one test match let alone an Ashes series you're not looking for a casual experience. You might play it over several weeks or even months but you're committed. Moreover, I don't think it needs to be there for one dayers and T20 initially; the real-life contrivances (powerplay, limited overs) transfer well enough to make the experience in game satisfying enough. But I find test cricket in the game to not be a good return on investment for my time.

That's just how I feel though I know lots of people get loads of enjoyment out of the test matches. So perhaps I'm the problem!

This would all be solved if the academy skill settings actually did what they said on the tin... Cook isn't as strong a hitter as say David Miller. His strength would be less, so a lofted shot will less likely clear the fence. (I think this happens anyway, but if you are going to have a perk or a setting in the academy, it absolutely should affect how the player plays). Instead we have all these millions of these weird physics sliders which people are changing to try and get the authentic experience, sometimes many times a match.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Been having a play around with some pitch settings to get a decent Dusty/Soft pitch. Feel like the bounce is decent, although the AI are a bit too inclined to play shots to everything. I would like to see them leaving or defending a bit more instead of the shots for no runs but that's an old bug bear.

Playing on Veteran as suggested by @WealeyH and having a pretty enjoyable time.

Some lovely cracks on day one and I have Yasir Shah bowling around the wicket into them. Noticed that the batsman like to flick it to leg gully; so I moved my leg slip to leg gully, my silly mid on to short leg and my midwicket to short mid wicket. Next ball straight into the crack and voila! 72 for 3

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This would all be solved if the academy skill settings actually did what they said on the tin... Cook isn't as strong a hitter as say David Miller. His strength would be less, so a lofted shot will less likely clear the fence. (I think this happens anyway, but if you are going to have a perk or a setting in the academy, it absolutely should affect how the player plays). Instead we have all these millions of these weird physics sliders which people are changing to try and get the authentic experience, sometimes many times a match.

I honestly think a lot of problems is down to people changing physics sliders too much and too early, and so not understanding what the basic experience is.

apart from stopping playing on hard pitches, and slightly lowering the bounce physics because of the wide bouncer issues on launch, I’ve barely touched physics sliders. If people don’t have a deep understanding of the base game - which can only be gained from a lot of playing - all slider adjustments are basically blind anyway, and changing multiple sliders at the same time makes it very hard.

same with difficulties, only when I was obviously not getting competitive matches on medium batting (I scored too high) or hard (I was getting blown away under 100 every time) did I compare the 2 settings and make some adjustments to give a level somewhere in between.

I think the sliders are great, but too many people are like Macauley Caulkin in Home Alone: the first instinct is to eat all the sweets, and you end up with a tummy ache.

play the base game, a lot. If things aren’t right look first at base difficulty and player ratings. Physics Sliders and even wicket chances and AI timing and run rate should be way down the list of things to tweak.

I’m 12 tests into the 90s. I dislike the overpowered 4th inns AI but trying to always bowl first if I win the toss is the only way I’m not just playing as normally as possible.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Been having a play around with some pitch settings to get a decent Dusty/Soft pitch. Feel like the bounce is decent, although the AI are a bit too inclined to play shots to everything. I would like to see them leaving or defending a bit more instead of the shots for no runs but that's an old bug bear.

Playing on Veteran as suggested by @WealeyH and having a pretty enjoyable time.

Some lovely cracks on day one and I have Yasir Shah bowling around the wicket into them. Noticed that the batsman like to flick it to leg gully; so I moved my leg slip to leg gully, my silly mid on to short leg and my midwicket to short mid wicket. Next ball straight into the crack and voila! 72 for 3

See this is a weird one.. as I have had on occasions 6-8 balls left alone and defended. There’s a sweet spot almost that needs to be executed. But it’s def possible! First over of the Test yesterday and first 6 balls were all left

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
See this is a weird one.. as I have had on occasions 6-8 balls left alone and defended. There’s a sweet spot almost that needs to be executed. But it’s def possible! First over of the Test yesterday and first 6 balls were all left
Yeah agree. First ball of next batsman was a solid block. Had a few since, but it's more of the shot to fielder. It does feel like a the pieces have to fall together just perfectly

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well I fixed my stuttering, had frame limiter on. Turned that cheeky bugger off and now its smooth sailing.

gideon_swrd

Club Captain
Can someone confirm whether the AI not changing fields in response to the user/player's scoring areas is a known issue even for the console/PC versions?

I have the latest Switch version, and my main gripe with the AI is the field placements (playing on Legend or Veteran AI). I can hit a lofted shot through the long off area for overs on end without any changes to the field by the AI.

It is disappointing because I feel the AI batting/bowling has improved considerably from DBC and Ashes, but the field placements and changes during the matches are significantly worse (IIRC).

And yes, I can switch sides and select a custom field I've created for the AI, but the AI keeps going back to one of its preset fields and completely ignores my main scoring areas.

PS. Is there any workaround for this - e.g. does changing the bowler's personality from aggressive to conservative affect field placements in any way?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread