Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
So have bought the game on PC too(shh dont tell wifey). Played for 2 hours straight and WOW! What a big difference from Xbox version that I have now that things are sorted.Cover drives,square cuts backfoot shots all are in. We now have required run rates, projected scores all displayed while playing. So people who were whining see???? You nicely ask things and you will have it :)

This game has surpassed DBC 14 and is now the best ever cricket game. Wish they released the console version like this at start and there would have been zero negative publicity
Really hope the console patch isn't too far off then!

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Any screenshots of the updated stats?

krishri

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Downloaded Steam...played a casual match.. at veterans - custom difficulty level... and straight away could play strokes all around the ground....

Awesome!... have clocked many many hours on DBC14... and all set to break my own records on DBC17....

Thank you BA....you rock!!

prasoonvidhu

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Downloaded Steam...played a casual match.. at veterans - custom difficulty level... and straight away could play strokes all around the ground....

Awesome!... have clocked many many hours on DBC14... and all set to break my own records on DBC17....

Thank you BA....you rock!!
The first shot is present on consoles as well.. The second and third aren't. The animations and placement now seem pretty good. Has the running issue also been resolved like you can tap and run on consoles without being run out?

AnkitC

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Alright. Here are my super early impressions of the game.

Been bowling in a Casual Test Match for about 10 Overs. Batted a bit in Limited Overs. Here are the differences I've noticed compared to DBC 14.

1) The Shot selection of batsmen are outstanding in Test Matches. Yes. They are finally leaving deliveries. Playing sensible shots too. Shot power seems a little low( But then it could be due to unsettled batsmen on the crease).
2) The outrageously bad Wicket Keeper actions are fixed.
3) The bowling trajectory of fast bowlers is much much improved.
4) Straight drives are finally possible. Bowlers are no longer Super Men. :P
5) Getting inside edges. :D
6) Got the Australian Opener caught behind with a fantastic edge. (We've been seeing this on DBC 14 of late too. Thanks to Franco). Run rate and Edge Frequency is seeming to have been nailed.
7) Fielding animations seem to have been revamped too.
8) Surprisingly BigAnt has also fixed the issue with 21:9 Monitors. The black bars now appear on the sides. Viewport still being 16:9 though.

Batting Experience hasn't exactly been nice. Primarily because the Field of View in Batting Close camera seems a lot lesser compared to DBC 14. Hopefully we'll have some sort of a workaround.

For the best bowling experience, make sure you set the Bowling Camera to Bowling Far and Fielding Cam to Fielding 1.

Would like to congratulate @BigAntStudios, @MattW and others on this amazing achievement. I'm certain the overall response would be nothing short of amazing. :thumbs

mani761

Club Captain
Plz somebody tell me that at which resolution should i play this game on ps4 (1080 or 720)

D

Deleted member 46200

So have bought the game on PC too(shh dont tell wifey). Played for 2 hours straight and WOW! What a big difference from Xbox version that I have now that things are sorted.Cover drives,square cuts backfoot shots all are in. We now have required run rates, projected scores all displayed while playing. So people who were whining see???? You nicely ask things and you will have it :)

This game has surpassed DBC 14 and is now the best ever cricket game. Wish they released the console version like this at start and there would have been zero negative publicity
Never keep secrets from the wife! Dangerous game.

Wow says everything so gameplay has improved, I hear nothing but silence from the whiners... Ssssh!

Mondy

Club Captain
My first impressions with the PC version:

Very, very, very impressed.

As I didn't play the console version I can't speak to the improvements to the game. What I can say is that 17 is a huge step forward compared to 14. Yes, the commentary is still rubbish (no, seriously, it's terrible, with now James Taylor saying those sacred words - "he gives it a big tweak". They also seem to be watching a different game than what's actually being played. But if you're buying 17 for the commentary than you have a weird fetish though I'm not judging).

Anyway, playing career mode with an 18 year old all-rounder who's playing for Carlton.

Batting is tough. But tough in a good way. Late last night I ground out 44 runs in my second year for the Blues and it felt like a major achievement. What's brilliant is that unlike 14 it's not to your advantage to plant yourself on the front foot and clip everything to leg. Because the ball marker gives you some idea of the length of the ball before the delivery is bowled you have time to choose front or back foot. I'm actually playing cut shots. I also love the precision modifier. Also, you can hit the ball 360 degrees. Actual straight drives.

The bowling is also enjoyable. The flight / bounce option is great. And I'm even noticing some slight turn... as I've just started it makes sense that I'm not spinning them square. The preset fields aren't great and the captain picks fields that make little to no sense (so hopefully that will improve) but overall bowling is fun. Oh and there are edges. And I got a stumping! Because the keeper actually responds in time.

I have some minor quibbles. The AI batsmen still aren't aggressive enough later in the game when they need two runs a ball. It's not that they block, but there's no feeling of urgency. And I would like more stats. But that's because I love stats.

Another quibble is based around performance. While I might have chosen to be an opener my batting is poor and the captain should have dropped me down the order - to 7 or 8 (my bowling keeps me in the team). Having me still open makes little sense. Maybe this sort of thing happens in the domestic and international parts of the game.

Still, I'm loving this. Well done to the team at Big Ant.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Never had so much fun on hard mode, sorry to those who were waiting for my videos, some college assignments came up so was unable to play a lot!
1484715370065-1113226182.jpg

kishore_513

School Cricketer

As I didn't play the console version I can't speak to the improvements to the game. What I can say is that 17 is a huge step forward compared to 14. Yes, the commentary is still rubbish (no, seriously, it's terrible, with now James Taylor saying those sacred words - "he gives it a big tweak". They also seem to be watching a different game than what's actually being played. But if you're buying 17 for the commentary than you have a weird fetish though I'm not judging).

Anyway, playing career mode with an 18 year old all-rounder who's playing for Carlton.

Batting is tough. But tough in a good way. Late last night I ground out 44 runs in my second year for the Blues and it felt like a major achievement. What's brilliant is that unlike 14 it's not to your advantage to plant yourself on the front foot and clip everything to leg. Because the ball marker gives you some idea of the length of the ball before the delivery is bowled you have time to choose front or back foot. I'm actually playing cut shots. I also love the precision modifier. Also, you can hit the ball 360 degrees. Actual straight drives.

The bowling is also enjoyable. The flight / bounce option is great. And I'm even noticing some slight turn... as I've just started it makes sense that I'm not spinning them square. The preset fields aren't great and the captain picks fields that make little to no sense (so hopefully that will improve) but overall bowling is fun. Oh and there are edges. And I got a stumping! Because the keeper actually responds in time.

I have some minor quibbles. The AI batsmen still aren't aggressive enough later in the game when they need two runs a ball. It's not that they block, but there's no feeling of urgency. And I would like more stats. But that's because I love stats.

Another quibble is based around performance. While I might have chosen to be an opener my batting is poor and the captain should have dropped me down the order - to 7 or 8 (my bowling keeps me in the team). Having me still open makes little sense. Maybe this sort of thing happens in the domestic and international parts of the game.

I too play my career(Xbox One) as a rookie opening batsman and spin bowler. I have completed three seasons already but just got 1 fifty with career average of 14 odd at a strike rate of 90 which is very poor. Didn't do any good with the ball either. But, I have got the captaincy of my local team in my 3rd season. Also got selected for 4 day games in my 4th season which is weird. Every time I get out to bat, I think not to throw away my wicket and improve my career stats. But the career is so tough that almost every time, I get out early either playing a rash shot or my good shots end up in keeper's gloves or fielders hands. Go into my next match thinking of going bang-bang, but as soon as I take guard in the middle, I get too cautious as if its real me at the crease. :) I really want to drop down the order as every now and then I start my innings with stamina around 15. I think it would be better if we get an option to change our batting preference once in a year or something in similar lines. Otherwise, I am stuck with opening the innings every time till I get the captaincy.

kishore_513

School Cricketer

I too play my career(Xbox One) as a rookie opening spin bowler and I have completed three seasons already. I have just got 1 fifty and my average is 14 odd with a strike rate of 90. Didn't do any good with the ball either. I have got the captaincy of my local team. Also got selected for 4 day games in my 4th season which is weird. Every time I get out to bat, I think not to throw away my wicket and improve my career stats. But the career is so tough that almost every time, I get out early either playing a rash shot or my good shots end up in keeper's gloves or fielders hands. Go into my next match thinking of going bang-bang, but as soon as I take guard in the middle, I get too cautious as if its real me at the crease. :) I really want to drop down the order as every now and then I start my innings with stamina around 15. I think it would be better if we get an option to change our batting preference once in a year or something in similar lines. Otherwise, I am stuck with opening the innings every time till I get the captaincy.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I too play my career(Xbox One) as a rookie opening spin bowler and I have completed three seasons already. I have just got 1 fifty and my average is 14 odd with a strike rate of 90. Didn't do any good with the ball either. I have got the captaincy of my local team. Also got selected for 4 day games in my 4th season which is weird. Every time I get out to bat, I think not to throw away my wicket and improve my career stats. But the career is so tough that almost every time, I get out early either playing a rash shot or my good shots end up in keeper's gloves or fielders hands. Go into my next match thinking of going bang-bang, but as soon as I take guard in the middle, I get too cautious as if its real me at the crease. :) I really want to drop down the order as every now and then I start my innings with stamina around 15. I think it would be better if we get an option to change our batting preference once in a year or something in similar lines. Otherwise, I am stuck with opening the innings every time till I get the captaincy.
Try leg glances, it helps me guard my wicket

kishore_513

School Cricketer
Try leg glances, it helps me guard my wicket
I wanted to play proper cricket as much as I can. So, I do not run hitting the ball straight to fielders inside the circle or run crazy to steal extra run at every possible opportunity by sprinting and diving. The club games are all T20s, so can't just rely on glances and drives. I need to score at a decent pace and that is when I get out either pulling a shot ball into the hands of the fielders, edge spinners to keeper trying to play a non existing shot in the game, get caught inside the field trying to clear the circle etc etc.. Still cant get enough of the game mode and repeat the process. Stormed into my 4th season in no time expecting to improve game after game to no avail.. Hopefully, patch 3 gives us more shots and opportunities to find gaps more regularly..

Users who are viewing this thread