England's tour of India (Nov '16/Feb '17)

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I hope Hardik Pandya gets a chance soon if he does good in the Ranji trophy. Binny is crap, I don't the selectors don't want him anytime soon.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
I hope Hardik Pandya gets a chance soon if he does good in the Ranji trophy. Binny is crap, I don't the selectors don't want him anytime soon.
Iirc Roger isn't in the selection panel, no chance, now.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
So DRS makes its entry in the series. That should be interesting. England have the edge in that department as they would know when and how to use the reviews.

I strongly believe there won't be a 5-0 scoreline at the end of series, more like 2-1 or 2-2 in favor of India seems probable. Cook thinks they would be "pretty heavy underdogs" but I think that is an understatement. What England have going on for them is a solid all-rounder in Ben Stokes, a decent all-rounder in Moin Ali and a probing seamer in Stuart Broad (not sure about Anderson's availability for the tour). Add to it the fact that they bat down till No.10, is something which might worry the Indians, given their history of not being able to mop up the tail quickly. They might be very tempted to use Adil Rashid too since he can be handy with the bat as well.

All in all, this isn't going to be a cakewalk by any stretch of imagination. I might even fancy England to gain the upper hand.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^ Have to agree with this assessment

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Rohit, Rahul and Dhawan to miss first two England Tests | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Hardik Pandya gets maiden call.

Squad- Virat Kohli (capt), R Ashwin, Gautam Gambhir, Ravindra Jadeja, Amit Mishra, Mohammad Shami, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Wriddhiman Saha, Karun Nair, M Vijay, Umesh Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Jayant Yadav

Why isn't Bhuvi selected ? And Pandya is a big surprise for me. I think it's a bad decision to call him up. Time for GG to prove his form and give competition to Rahul/Dhawan.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
It is unfair not to select Bhuvi for the Test squad.. In the 2nd Test, He proved that he is a viable option, at least in Test Cricket..

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Hardik Pandya in test squad is a big surprise. He is completely a player of T20 standard and at some point ODIs. Its a fair decision in giving GG the chance which he deserves. He has 4 innings (2 matches) to play and prove himself. There are no backup openers in the squad either. So he will open the innings without any doubt. Kedar Jadav deserved a chance here. He has been an amazing lad for the team. If I'm not wrong, the first international call up he got was for his performance in Ranji Trophy 2014/15? Although, he still has some time to spend in domestic circuit.

Yey!! Dhawan has been dropped and both the front line openers of ODI team are rested. If at all GG find success for himself in the 1st two matches, then the selectors will drop Dhawan ultimately. Rahul will replace GG in the lineup and GG will be the backup opener.

Amit Mishra, Ashwin and Jad along with Jayant Yadav seems a strong spin department. Although, we will get to see Ash and Jad in the lineup whereas Mishra replaces one of the seamers if the pitch type is suitable more for spinners.

Shami and Umesh will open the bowling with no doubt. Quite happy with the new selectors panel. They have done what the team requires. :)

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Hardik Pandya in test squad is a big surprise. He is completely a player of T20 standard and at some point ODIs. Its a fair decision in giving GG the chance which he deserves. He has 4 innings (2 matches) to play and prove himself. There are no backup openers in the squad either. So he will open the innings without any doubt. Kedar Jadav deserved a chance here. He has been an amazing lad for the team. If I'm not wrong, the first international call up he got was for his performance in Ranji Trophy 2014/15? Although, he still has some time to spend in domestic circuit.

Yey!! Dhawan has been dropped and both the front line openers of ODI team are rested. If at all GG find success for himself in the 1st two matches, then the selectors will drop Dhawan ultimately. Rahul will replace GG in the lineup and GG will be the backup opener.

Amit Mishra, Ashwin and Jad along with Jayant Yadav seems a strong spin department. Although, we will get to see Ash and Jad in the lineup whereas Mishra replaces one of the seamers if the pitch type is suitable more for spinners.

Shami and Umesh will open the bowling with no doubt. Quite happy with the new selectors panel. They have done what the team requires. :)
Dhawan and Rahul are injured and hence not selected. So, Dhawan isn't technically dropped.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Dhawan and Rahul are injured and hence not selected. So, Dhawan isn't technically dropped.
I too know that he is injured. The term 'dropped' is raised as a speculation. You can consider him as dropped just because he has been so damn worse in his form since a year. You got to understand a sentence in my post:
If at all GG find success for himself in the 1st two matches, then the selectors will drop Dhawan ultimately.

^This sentence clearly states that he is still considered the part of the team and will not be so if GG out performs.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Why isn't Bhuvi selected ? And Pandya is a big surprise for me. I think it's a bad decision to call him up. Time for GG to prove his form and give competition to Rahul/Dhawan.

Why is it a bad decision? I have been saying this since I first saw Hardik that he has that X-factor that team India needs. Yes he hasn't played much first class cricket but if you remember the recent India A series to Australia, in one of the first class game where everyone was struggling, he made a quick fire 79 and took on the bowling in challenging conditions. Even though he bowled decently in the ODI series against NZ, I still feel he needs to do some work there as well. He is not a finished product by any means but the more experience he gets, the better he will become. Binny is a good batsman but his bowling won't work in India because he bowls too slow. Rishi Dhawan is another option and he bowls very well at domestic level but his batting at international level is an issue. Hardik on his day can provide both the options and can contribute in the field as well. So, I don't think it's a bad option at all. I was expecting him to fast-track to test level as soon as he had decent season just because of the fact that we don't have anyone like him in domestic cricket and we need someone like him especially when we travel abroad. I think it's a great move to have him in the squad. Again, he might not get a game straight away but if the condtions are favourable, then he is likely to replace Mishra in the line-up.

I agree about Bhuvi though. Yes he hasn't played any first class cricket since that 2nd test against NZ but he got a 5-fer in that test match and you can't drop him after that type of performance. They have brought Ishant Sharma back but I really hope he doesn't make it into the line-up because I was happy with how Umesh and Shami bowled in the NZ series. I don't mind continuing with both of them.

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Bhuvi is or was injured and is recovering, he isnt dropped

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Bhuvi is or was injured and is recovering, he isnt dropped

This is what they said about him in Cricinfo article.

• Bhuvneshwar Kumar - recovered from hamstring injury suffered during the second Test against NZ, but not selected because he has not played first-class cricket since

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Why is it a bad decision? I have been saying this since I first saw Hardik that he has that X-factor that team India needs. Yes he hasn't played much first class cricket but if you remember the recent India A series to Australia, in one of the first class game where everyone was struggling, he made a quick fire 91 and took on the bowling in challenging conditions. Even though he bowled decently in the ODI series against NZ, I still feel he needs to do some work there as well. He is not a finished product by any means but the more experience he gets, the better he will become. Binny is a good batsman but his bowling won't work in India because he bowls too slow. Rishi Dhawan is another option and he bowls very well at domestic level but his batting at international level is an issue. Hardik on his day can provide both the options and can contribute in the field as well. So, I don't think it's a bad option at all. I was expecting him to fast-track to test level as soon as he had decent season just because of the fact that we don't have anyone like him in domestic cricket and we need someone like him especially when we travel abroad. I think it's a great move to have him in the squad. Again, he might not get a game straight away but if the condtions are favourable, then he is likely to replace Mishra in the line-up.

I agree about Bhuvi though. Yes he hasn't played any first class cricket since that 2nd test against NZ but he got a 5-fer in that test match and you can't drop him after that type of performance. They have brought Ishant Sharma back but I really hope he doesn't make it into the line-up because I was happy with how Umesh and Shami bowled in the NZ series. I don't mind continuing with both of them.

What has he done? Has he outperformed in Domestic level? Did he hit some massive scores in Ranji? I understand he can be a good asset in limited overs.Yes, he played well in Australia. But it was in limited overs. He is absolutely NO in tests for me. Pandya cannot bowl in a consistent line and length. He just sprays all around and cannot contain. I feel they should have first let him toil in FC for sometime.

I feel sorry for the likes of Rishi Dhawan who has been toiling for HP and picking wickets and scoring runs in Ranji trophy. Really unfair to select Pandya instead of Rishi Dhawan. Very very bad. Rishi Dhawan just played in 2 innings in internationals. How can you judge him by only those 2-3 matches ?

Users who are viewing this thread