England's tour of India (Nov '16/Feb '17)

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
What has he done? Has he outperformed in Domestic level? Did he hit some massive scores in Ranji? I understand he can be a good asset in limited overs.Yes, he played well in Australia. But it was in limited overs. He is absolutely NO in tests for me. Pandya cannot bowl in a consistent line and length. He just sprays all around and cannot contain. I feel they should have first let him toil in FC for sometime.

I feel sorry for the likes of Rishi Dhawan who has been toiling for HP and picking wickets and scoring runs in Ranji trophy. Really unfair to select Pandya instead of Rishi Dhawan. Very very bad. Rishi Dhawan just played in 2 innings in internationals. How can you judge him by only those 2-3 matches ?

He hasn't played enough first class games to perform consistently. However, he looks like a player who could make a difference and win matches on his own on his day. When he came in for T20's. His bowling didn't look upto international standards. However, he went back and worked on his bowling and in the ODI series, he was bowling with good pace and had much better control than I what I saw from him in that T20 season. Again as I said, it's still not upto mark but it's not like he is going to get into the final 11 straight away but he needs to be groomed because he is a special talent and we do not have anyone like him in the domestic cricket right now. We need someone like him to give us the balance when we travel abroad. He also played that handy knock in Delhi where he almost got us the win with his batting out of nowhere but it wasn't to be. He has shown in a very short time that he can improve his game which is what is required. The more exposure he is given at this stage, the better he will become.

I feel sorry for Rishi Dhawan as well because I have been following his career for 5 years now. 2 seasons ago, he was very consistent with ball and also could score some runs. However, at that time we had Roger Binny in selection panel who would not give him chance and we were stuck with Stuart Binny. Rishi has always taken wickets in domestic cricket but his batting has never been that great. I still remember when he was picked for first time in our Australia ODI and T20 tour last year, MS Dhoni was very hesitant to pick him because his batting was nowhere near international standard. It still hasn't improved in whatever I have seen of him in last 2 years.

Hardik is someone who can contribute equally with both bat and ball. That is one of the main reason he has been given a nod over Rishi Dhawan and Stuart Binny. Stuart Binny is a very handy batsman but he is not going to trouble any batting line-up with his bowling. Rishi Dhwan is a very handy with ball but his batting is not very special. Hardik has shown that he can do both and can adapt very quickly to the conditions. Plus he is a better fielder than both Rishi and Binny.

As I said, he is unlikely to get a chance in this series unless the conditions are pace friendly which is unlikely. The point in we have to groom him right now so he can be ready by the time we have our next overseas tours. He will be very important on those because he will provided us the much needed balance that we have always lacked in foreign conditions.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He hasn't played enough first class games to perform consistently. However, he looks like a player who could make a difference and win matches on his own on his day. When he came in for T20's. His bowling didn't look upto international standards. However, he went back and worked on his bowling and in the ODI series, he was bowling with good pace and had much better control than I what I saw from him in that T20 season. Again as I said, it's still not upto mark but it's not like he is going to get into the final 11 straight away but he needs to be groomed because he is a special talent and we do not have anyone like him in the domestic cricket right now. We need someone like him to give us the balance when we travel abroad. He also played that handy knock in Delhi where he almost got us the win with his batting out of nowhere but it wasn't to be. He has shown in a very short time that he can improve his game which is what is required. The more exposure he is given at this stage, the better he will become.

I feel sorry for Rishi Dhawan as well because I have been following his career for 5 years now. 2 seasons ago, he was very consistent with ball and also could score some runs. However, at that time we had Roger Binny in selection panel who would not give him chance and we were stuck with Stuart Binny. Rishi has always taken wickets in domestic cricket but his batting has never been that great. I still remember when he was picked for first time in our Australia ODI and T20 tour last year, MS Dhoni was very hesitant to pick him because his batting was nowhere near international standard. It still hasn't improved in whatever I have seen of him in last 2 years.

Hardik is someone who can contribute equally with both bat and ball. That is one of the main reason he has been given a nod over Rishi Dhawan and Stuart Binny. Stuart Binny is a very handy batsman but he is not going to trouble any batting line-up with his bowling. Rishi Dhwan is a very handy with ball but his batting is not very special. Hardik has shown that he can do both and can adapt very quickly to the conditions. Plus he is a better fielder than both Rishi and Binny.

As I said, he is unlikely to get a chance in this series unless the conditions are pace friendly which is unlikely. The point in we have to groom him right now so he can be ready by the time we have our next overseas tours. He will be very important on those because he will provided us the much needed balance that we have always lacked in foreign conditions.
Well. Rishi's batting is good. He has average of 40 in FC which is very good for an all-rounder. People think his batting is not good because he is not a T20 material where he can smash sixes. But he is always consistent. He should be given a chance. I don't know why you keep on telling his batting is not upto standards. He has been batting well in domestic league. Better than Hardik in terms of both batting and bowling. Honestly I am sick of this selection process. Players should be selected seeing their form in respective formats. For tests, you shouldn't see his ODI or T20 form and select him. For tests, see the performance in FC and select. That should be the only criteria. Honestly, Hardik doesn't deserve place in TESTS. I am not talking about limited overs format.

Anyway, I respect your opinion but I don't agree that Pandya is better than Rishi in the longer format. If Pandya gets to play in any of the matches, hopefully I am proved wrong.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Well. Rishi's batting is good. He has average of 40 in FC which is very good for an all-rounder. People think his batting is not good because he is not a T20 material where he can smash sixes. But he is always consistent. He should be given a chance. I don't know why you keep on telling his batting is not upto standards. He has been batting well in domestic league. Better than Hardik in terms of both batting and bowling. Honestly I am sick of this selection process. Players should be selected seeing their form in respective formats. For tests, you shouldn't see his ODI or T20 form and select him. For tests, see the performance in FC and select. That should be the only criteria. Honestly, Hardik doesn't deserve place in TESTS. I am not talking about limited overs format.

Anyway, I respect your opinion but I don't agree that Pandya is better than Rishi in the longer format. If Pandya gets to play in any of the matches, hopefully I am proved wrong.
I agree with you here.. Rishi Dhawan is a sort of test match player.. He bowls tightly and plays in a solid manner...

Saroj padhy

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Second innings for Gautam Gambhir as he returns to the Indian fold | cricket | Hindustan Times

“One thing I want to make very clear is that we are thinking 10 times before picking a player, but if we pick a player he should be given chances. Even if the regular openers would have come, we would have still given preference to Gambhir because we have considered him and he should be given a fair chance,” - MSK Prasad

Rahul and Bhuvi have to prove their fitness in a match condition.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Please, please, please for the love of God, please do not let Ishant be in the playing X1. It's baffling really that he still gets picked after being soooo ordinary over a period of 70+ tests.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
According some insiders and few people I know the series is in some real doubt because of BCCI vs Lodha. BCCI has not yet signed MOU with ECB and has also told ECB that they cannot afford the hotels and travel expense.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
BCCI has not yet signed MOU with ECB and has also told ECB that they cannot afford the hotels and travel expense
One of the richest cricket boards in the world is denying to pay for expenses seems so pathetic and disgusting.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
I can't help myself on why Hardik Pandya and Jayant Yadav have been named part of the squad. I just know they're waste of place in the team.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The one think I am looking forward to see is how India plays if they lose the toss. Virat won the toss in all of the matches against NZ and South Africa so it will be interesting to see the strategy if we do lose a toss in this 5 match series.

Neo 7

National Board President
India
Avengers
The match will be held tomorrow or its still a matter of confusion ?

Users who are viewing this thread