Fast bowling length variation

Ren

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hi all,

Wondering if any career fast bowlers out there can give me some tips on length. I know you can select the 4 lengths with the face buttons, that's fine.

The display shows variations for speed (left and right trigger) and says hold to change speed, got that working fine.

It also says the left and right bumpers vary length but I don't see this happening in the game.

My career player is a fast bowler hitting 145 - 150kmh and on standard pitches everything on a good length is far too short to hit the wickets, but bowling a fuller ball gets driven (pressing Y button).

My question is: how does the length variation work for the bumpers and has anyone seen this consistently in action? I have tried holding the bumper as well as pressing it once before or during run up but good length (A button) balls don't really change length.

So what's the secret to reliably changing the length within your button-selected length?

Reactions: DAP
Check it out in Training, it clearly shows the steps to replicate that..I think its Select delivery type > Trigger pressed > Length select > Jump and release..

Yeah thanks for your reply man. My issue is that in 30+ career matches with a fast bowler, I don't really see the difference in game. I have tried the tutorial and understand the order, it just doesn't consistently translate into what comes out when I bowl.

While you select any of the 4 options for length, keep the LB or RB pressed, it does give a nice length variation to each of the 4 base length options...you can check with the Big eye post delivery as a comparison...

In addition to above for more variety you can vary by timing the release with RS Up a little early to get more fuller length and more air. With this sometimes you can convert a full(or good) length to almost yorker(or full) length 7 have a chance of deceiving the AI..

Give it a try

Reactions: Ren
Yeah thanks for your reply man. My issue is that in 30+ career matches with a fast bowler, I don't really see the difference in game. I have tried the tutorial and understand the order, it just doesn't consistently translate into what comes out when I bowl.
Could be your skills as the game is designed to get the length not perfect every time which makes it easy to pitch the ball wherever you want to..
For me in career it's a mixed bag , some matches I would be getting 2-3 wickets of slip catches and sometimes LBW but I do agree that variation in dismissal is something that is being looked into.. When and upto what extent of variation is upto BA..

The difference is quite minimal, but if you go for y+lb the Ai are less likely to drive you than with just y

Cheers guys, have played around with bowling a lot of shorter full balls and that seems to be a top of off length more often than anything else (LB + Y). I have maxed out my accuracy and stock ball stats so was hoping that would translate into a lot more accuracy but I guess it's a limitaion within the game to work around.

Thanks for the input all.

Try making your bowler quite short. Nothing taller than 165cm and you'll find your good balls will hit the top of off with a new ball on a standard pitch. Seems height does actually have a significant impact on the balls release point. My RF bowlers height is set at 195cm and he gets his good length balls to bounce quite high, getting a lot of edges. After about 40-50 overs, the ball starts to drop a bit and will clip the bails. Shorter bowlers seem to be better suited to attacking the stumps with their low trajectory.

Hi all,

Wondering if any career fast bowlers out there can give me some tips on length. I know you can select the 4 lengths with the face buttons, that's fine.

The display shows variations for speed (left and right trigger) and says hold to change speed, got that working fine.

It also says the left and right bumpers vary length but I don't see this happening in the game.

My career player is a fast bowler hitting 145 - 150kmh and on standard pitches everything on a good length is far too short to hit the wickets, but bowling a fuller ball gets driven (pressing Y button).

My question is: how does the length variation work for the bumpers and has anyone seen this consistently in action? I have tried holding the bumper as well as pressing it once before or during run up but good length (A button) balls don't really change length.

So what's the secret to reliably changing the length within your button-selected length?
My experience, L1/R1 does change the lengths. My go to delivery is pressing triangle (PS4) for fuller length, along with L1. This makes the delivery just full, and not overpitched as the full ball is sometimes when used alone!

My experience, L1/R1 does change the lengths. My go to delivery is pressing triangle (PS4) for fuller length, along with L1. This makes the delivery just full, and not overpitched as the full ball is sometimes when used alone!
Yeah, depending on the pitch condition, if I'm looking to hit the stumps (without going Yorker length) I'll try a full with L1 or Good with R1.

Yeah, depending on the pitch condition, if I'm looking to hit the stumps (without going Yorker length) I'll try a full with L1 or Good with R1.
Yorker is Square right? If yes, I don't use that coz it generally becomes a full toss!

"Good" length in real life is top of off stump but doesn't translate in the game, guess it's just a terminology thing.

Have been experimenting and discovered that (on a standard hardness pitch ie. not a soft or very soft) for a genuine fast bowler (145+ kmh) your length for bowled and LBW needs to be Y (full). Good length A will go anything from rarely very tip of bails to more consistently a foot over the top but bring edges into play combined with the odd B length.

Have had a lot more success making Y my standard length and setting a field for constant drives and glances, I see this length more often top of off stump or lower. Alternately setting a field for short outside off (nothing straight) and 4 slips + gully also yields a lot of wickets although toiling away for several overs exclusively outside off stump and then finally getting the edge only to watch a slip fielder bungle the catch time after time is pretty rough.

Reactions: DAP

Users who are viewing this thread