General Cricket Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Let the Daniels and Podcasters come out and blame India for this. Nobody bats an eye that apart from IPL there are 5000000 different leagues they play in.

In the vast realm of Indian cricket, the BCCI seems to have acquired a peculiar superpower: being blamed for early retirements, regardless of its actual involvement. Hasaranga's pivot from Test cricket to the pulsating world of franchise leagues sparks déjà vu. It's as if blaming BCCI has become cricket's involuntary reflex, akin to checking for rain in England. So, here's to the blame-game champions, the BCCI—allegedly behind every retirement decision and, who knows, maybe even the global warming of cricket's tea breaks.

Let the Daniels and Podcasters come out and blame India for this. Nobody bats an eye that apart from IPL there are 5000000 different leagues they play in.

In the vast realm of Indian cricket, the BCCI seems to have acquired a peculiar superpower: being blamed for early retirements, regardless of its actual involvement. Hasaranga's pivot from Test cricket to the pulsating world of franchise leagues sparks déjà vu. It's as if blaming BCCI has become cricket's involuntary reflex, akin to checking for rain in England. So, here's to the blame-game champions, the BCCI—allegedly behind every retirement decision and, who knows, maybe even the global warming of cricket's tea breaks.

I’m yet to see a single person blame the BCCI for Hasaranga’s retirement from a format he last played a game in two years ago. A format in which he averages a cool hundred with the ball. He isn’t even making the bench for Sri Lanka in tests.

Then again, I’m not on X or Twitter.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I’m yet to see a single person blame the BCCI for Hasaranga’s retirement from a format he last played a game in two years ago. A format in which he averages a cool hundred with the ball. He isn’t even making the bench for Sri Lanka in tests.

Then again, I’m not on X or Twitter.
Was just a sarcasm that everything is BCCI's fault when it comes to Cricket.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I do agree with the point in principle though but it is partly self-inflicted by our own folk choosing to burn the house down after every loss. If we’re already treating the team as a joke then it’s no surprise that the others choose to join in to fit in.
If you ask me, the Team doesn't have a proper strategy in place. Blasting the team for poor performance(if they are full strength or close enough to that) makes sense. In the last 2-3 years, I haven't seen the team play at full tilt. To me,it is simply a medley of players coming in and going out. The exception being ICC events, where they will get the best names(on paper). This inconsistency needs to stop. In the lead upto the WT20, we had a lot of in-form players winning for us. Come the WT20, we reverted to our big names and that did cost us the semi-final

The WICB has brought in an Academy team to focus on exclusively promising talent and has been overhauling the backroom staff for a while. They’ve also significantly softened their stance on their players being choosy about when to play (and to the surprise of no one, the same olive branch was not taken up by certain players). Could they be doing better? Sure. But have they also been a victim of the current global order both inside and outside cricket? It’s hard to refute that.

I think their tactics are a bit 'too late' at the moment. I am unsure of what lays in store for them in the near future, however, they shouldn't be buoyed by the inconsequential series win versus a sub-par and nonsensical India. They need to improve, by leaps and bound for the rest of the cricketing world to take them seriously.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Wondered what was controversial in that preview tweet of two paragraphs… and then I saw the whole thing separately.
Franchise cricket is certainly good, but most players from lower-ranked teams don't get any chances. I remember Chirag Suri being picked by Gujarat Lions in 2017, and he didn't get a game even when Gujarat had only 4 fit overseas players, they went with an extra local instead.

Bevab

Staff Member
Franchise cricket is certainly good, but most players from lower-ranked teams don't get any chances. I remember Chirag Suri being picked by Gujarat Lions in 2017, and he didn't get a game even when Gujarat had only 4 fit overseas players, they went with an extra local instead.

Ah my assumption was that Ashwin meant the ILT20 which despite it’s meagre domestic requirement still had to feature twelve UAE players per round of fixtures. They did beat Namibia and very nearly defeated Netherlands last year in the WC so they’re certainly decent under the hood.

Bevab

Staff Member
Olonga on the cricket sub-reddit did say Streak’s health is poor at the moment and he doesn’t have long to live unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread