Greatest All Time XI

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
the fact that you have a total absence of any players that played before the early 90s suggests that you haven't put that much thought into it

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
the fact that you have a total absence of any players that played before the early 90s suggests that you haven't put that much thought into it
Bro i am not from stone age , just 22 years old :)

This list might better called as my lifetime XI :)

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
What you will say about this team? :)

View attachment 166019

Is this an ODI XI?

You don't have a spinner and if you want to talk about all time great all rounders, I'd take Sobers, Khan or Botham above Kallis. Then you also have Klusener which is a bit odd.

Edit: Just found out you have Warne now.

If I'm picking an atg Test XI, this is how I'd go:

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Don Bradman
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Lara
6. Gary Sobers
7. Imran Khan (c)
8. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
9. Wasim Akram
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath

This if likely to change as there are so many options and combinations for opening batsmen and the middle order, not to mention, we could replace one of the all rounders with an out and out batsman. But it certainly is a behemoth of a team.

ODI XI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Saeed Anwar
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Vivian Richards
5. Brain Lara
6. Imran Khan (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Wasim Akram
9. Waqar Younis
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Is this an ODI XI?

You don't have a spinner and if you want to talk about all time great all rounders, I'd take Sobers, Khan or Botham above Kallis. Then you also have Klusener which is a bit odd.

Edit: Just found out you have Warne now.

If I'm picking an atg Test XI, this is how I'd go:

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Don Bradman
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Lara
6. Gary Sobers
7. Imran Khan (c)
8. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
9. Wasim Akram
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath

This if likely to change as there are so many options and combinations for opening batsmen and the middle order, not to mention, we could replace one of the all rounders with an out and out batsman. But it certainly is a behemoth of a team.

ODI XI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Saeed Anwar
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Vivian Richards
5. Brain Lara
6. Imran Khan (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Wasim Akram
9. Waqar Younis
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Test team looks ok , but why saeed anwar in ODi team , LOL , he scored just 8824 runs at 39 avg(definitely not deserve to be in all time xi) , again why waqar younis ?

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Ok here i mention my all time Test XI

1. Virender sehwag
2. sunil gavaskar
3. sachin tendulkar
4. Brian lara
5. jack kallis
6. Rahul Dravid
7. Adam gilchrist
8.shane warne
9. Curtly ambrose
10. wasim akram
11 glenn mcgrath

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Test team looks ok , but why saeed anwar in ODi team , LOL , he scored just 8824 runs at 39 avg(definitely not deserve to be in all time xi) , again why waqar younis ?

Anwar was one of the greatest ODI openers ever, although there could have been Matty Hayden up there or Gayle. Jayasuriya has another shout but he wasn't as versatile or elegant as Anwar. Gayle is too much of a 1 in 10 ODI wonder and getting worse as the years go by. Best for best, I preferred Anwar's elegance and versatility over the others.

And are you seriously asking why Younis? The guy was probably the greatest death bowler ever in ODI cricket, had the best yorker ever, some of the best reverse swing spells ever and had one of the greatest averages and sr ever.

fordy

School Cricketer
My Test Team of all time would be:

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Don Bradman
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Sir Garfield Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Imran Khan
9. Shane Warne
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn Mcgrath

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Okay, as this thread is a thing, I'll try to pick a team that could cope with all formats. Just to make it more fun for myself, I'm going to restrict myself to one prominent player per decade.

1) :aus: :bat: Victor Trumper (1900s)
In an era of conservative batting and uncovered pitches, Trumper was an anomaly: his best form of attack was defence, and he was willing to use it at any time he wanted. He was liable to be on 100 by lunch rather often, and averaged nearly 40 in Tests despite his cavalier style.

2) :saf: :bat: AB de Villiers (2010s)
It's a tough choice to promote de Villiers to the very top of the order, but it's the only place there's room for him in the side. He has experience at the top of the order and has often been called the most complete batsman of his generation. It would be time to put that to the test.

3) :aus: :bat: Don Bradman (1930s)
Simply the greatest batsman ever, and there's no fighting sheer class.

4) :wi: :bat: Viv Richards (1970s)
There may never have been a batsman in history so adept at destroying any sub-standard bowling. Richards finished with a Test average of 50 to show his rare ability in Test cricket, but an ODI batting strike rate was so far ahead of its time as to be almost obscene. Vital in all formats.

5) :wi: :ar: Garry Sobers
(1960s)
It is a mark of the greatness of his batting that Sobers was always more of a batting all-rounder. Had he not devoted so much time and energy to his batting, it is thought that he would have been of genuine international class bowling either pace or spin. As it was, his Test bowling average (34) pales compared to his batting figure (58).

6) :pak: :ar: Imran Khan
(1980s)
Imran Khan is the greatest cricketer his country has ever produced, Imran averaged 52 with the bat and 21 with the ball over his last 42 Tests. Such boundless talent could make him an even more valuable player for this team than the man one above him in the batting order.

7) :saf: :ar: Aubrey Faulkner (1910s)
For a period in the 1910s, Faulkner was the definition of a great cricketer. He scored runs for fun with the bat and also bowled mighty skillful leg-spin. His batting was not classically aggressive, but he would always be able to dig in and fight off a collapse.

8) :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram (1990s)
Not only was Wasim Akram one of the greatest proponents of the yorker the game has ever seen, but he was also a fierce hitter: his Test-best 257 included a dozen of his 57 career sixes. Nonetheless, his batting is a second string that does not even compare to the quality of his bowling.

9) :aus: :bwl: Shane Warne
(2000s) :c:
Shane Warne forged a successful Twenty20 career when he was well past his cricketing peak. At his very best he was the world's premier bowler, possibly ever, and his importance to any cricket team cannot be overstated. One of the first names on the team sheet.

10) :eng: :bwl: George Lohmann
(1880s)
His career and finally his life were both cut tragically short by tuberculosis, but not before he had become statistically Test cricket's greatest bowler. Operating at little more than medium pace, his success owed mostly to variations of flight and movement which would make him the perfect limited overs bowler. He was also a quick-scoring lower-order batsman.

11) :sco: :wk: Gregor MacGregor (1890s)
A wicket-keeper who was both unerringly reliable and a lightning stumper, MacGregor stood fearlessly up to the stumps against the bowling of bowlers as lethal as Charles Kortright, the only man who verifiably bowled a ball for six byes. His flair would be invaluable to a limited-overs side, while his reliability would be perfect for Test cricket.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You've got Virender Sehwag who averaged 35 :-/

Matt Price

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
This is my team please feel free to point out anything bad about it
2ecf44581347ea36b8e7702651881588

Matt Price

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
This is my team please feel free to point out anything bad about it
2ecf44581347ea36b8e7702651881588
Sorry it didn't work my lineup is:
Sachin Tendulkar(C)
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
AB De Villiers
Ricky Pointing
Kapil Dev
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Andrew Flintoff(When he was at his best)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread