Greatest innings of all time by ICC

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
To be fair, it's a list generated using numbers. It doesn't include match situation. Those are the statistically best 10 innings of all time, naturally it isn't going to be a defining list and it will ignore factors such as pressure, pitch, conditions, form, luck, etc. Don't understand why people are getting so worked up over it.

calebelfc

School Cricketer
Was he not dropped by Warne off Brett Lee when he was only about 10? Was an absolute sitter too. That catch might have got Australia the Ashes - although getting rid of Ashley fricken Giles might have helped too...or maybe not collapsing when they were 3/300...That was a frustrating match for Aussie fans :(

I may be getting fussy in my old age, but I think the best innings are chanceless ones, especially when the chance was so clear cut. That or the innings has to be in extremely difficult conditions. I know at least 2 other people made 100s in that Oval Test, so it can't have been too tricky.

But anyway you're right it was a nice innings as KP played really nicely after that drop, particularly vs Warne - while he savaged Lee and Tait.

I disagree. The drops, luck, all of that are what made the innings great. There have been plenty of Test Match hundreds without any error yet, to me, that doesn't mean it was 'great'. For an innings to be great, you must look at the situation surely.

But as you say, it was pretty frustrating for you Aussies! :D

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Surely that Hanif triple has to be up there.

----------

Following-on with a deficit of 473 runs, 3 full days left in the test against a good WI attack; it would have required a miracle to save the match.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
To be fair, it's a list generated using numbers. It doesn't include match situation. Those are the statistically best 10 innings of all time, naturally it isn't going to be a defining list and it will ignore factors such as pressure, pitch, conditions, form, luck, etc. Don't understand why people are getting so worked up over it.

Yeah exactly, you can read the methodology over on the site on how they calculate stuff. It does include factors like pitch and opposition attack, which is why Sehwag v SA gets on there - not the pitch, but for the bowlers he flayed. One thing that annoys me is that all the innings were 200+ which...hmm, they obviously aren't bad, but to make 200+ you need some partners. I'd like to see a list of the best 100-200 scores as well.

I disagree. The drops, luck, all of that are what made the innings great. There have been plenty of Test Match hundreds without any error yet, to me, that doesn't mean it was 'great'. For an innings to be great, you must look at the situation surely.

But as you say, it was pretty frustrating for you Aussies! :D

I understand, it does give a bit of theatre to an innings. But in my mind it just weakens the overall case when the century should never have happened. A bit like the infamous Andrew Symonds century vs India, SCG '07. Top knock, but geez he was lucky to be there. Even better is guys who played a great innings and were unluckily given out when they weren't eg. Sangakkara's 190-odd vs Australia in Hobart a few years ago.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah exactly, you can read the methodology over on the site on how they calculate stuff. It does include factors like pitch and opposition attack, which is why Sehwag v SA gets on there - not the pitch, but for the bowlers he flayed. One thing that annoys me is that all the innings were 200+ which...hmm, they obviously aren't bad, but to make 200+ you need some partners. I'd like to see a list of the best 100-200 scores as well.

Absolutely correct. Thats why i feel for Dravid. He made his highest ODI score 145 but that innings was overshadowed by Ganguly's brutal 183*. Then again in the same year he went pass his personal best once again to score 153 vs NZ and this time Sachin decided takeover the show by scoring 186*. How unlucky can someone get. :p

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend

I agree! VVS Laxman's 281 is one of the finest knocks in Test Cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread