ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Moderators I thought this may be a good time to resurrect this thread as the election for the new ICC chairman will be held November 12th-13th.

Last I remember the chairman position was set to be a fixed rotation as decreed by the BCCI between the ‘Big 3’ encompassing the CA, ECB and BCCI. Before that if memory serves me good as I am in my later 20s now the Aus and English boards had 2 votes.

Not sure how the voting system is now.

Found this article on cricinfo (apparently now own by Walt) seems the only challenge to the present chairman is an administrator from Zimbabwe:

I’m guessing at this point the ICC is nothing really and perhaps the chairman got no
say since the Supreme Court of India calling the shots?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Not sure how the voting system is now.
There's 16 directors on the ICC board, 12 full members, 3 associates and one independent director, Indra Nooyi. Previously a two-thirds majority was needed, 11 votes, this has now been reduced to a simple majority of 9.
Mukuhlani's only path to winning is to get the 3 Associate votes, plus Pakistan, Bangladesh, SL, Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe. Of those, Bangladesh and SL could well be peeled off by BCCI. If that is the case, Nooyi's vote could be crucial in tying it.
NZC always go along with CA, and CWI and CSA have massive Indian investment in their T20 leagues.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
There's 16 directors on the ICC board, 12 full members, 3 associates and one independent director, Indra Nooyi. Previously a two-thirds majority was needed, 11 votes, this has now been reduced to a simple majority of 9.
Mukuhlani's only path to winning is to get the 3 Associate votes, plus Pakistan, Bangladesh, SL, Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe. Of those, Bangladesh and SL could well be peeled off by BCCI. If that is the case, Nooyi's vote could be crucial in tying it.
NZC always go along with CA, and CWI and CSA have massive Indian investment in their T20 leagues.
Thanks for the explanation Talha. Had to read it a couple times to understand. Ideally its this system is fair, on paper as opposed to when Srinivasan effectively placed himself on the board.

Yeah cant see the Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis voting against the BCCI wishes.

Just a quick question Talha any thoughts on the effect the B.R.I.C.S. Alliance may have on cricket in the near future, if any at all?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Just a quick question Talha any thoughts on the effect the B.R.I.C.S. Alliance may have on cricket in the near future, if any at all?
BRICS is barely a group, let alone an alliance these days. Nonetheless I don’t see the relevance here

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The chairmanship position may be very important with the present financial model of the ICC set to finish with rights completing next year, 2023. Present model 2016-2023. Below is a breakdown of the ‘payout’, as we can see the BCCI has the lion share:

E91BF700-17FD-43F3-B9A7-FB4DEE155358.jpeg
Afghanistan and Ireland stood to receive $40m each which apparently was a cut from the Associate members, found it strange but if someone can find some info saying otherwise please share it and I’ll modify the post.

We need to be concerned as the BCCI had vehemently opposed this model, being the solidarity vote against its approval. They even threatened legal action for not respecting the initial model in 2014, which wouldve been ratified by the ‘Big 3’ model:

1667683272589.png

As we can observe the pie chart in the green is what the Indian administrators may possibly be requesting in 2023 as well. Yes the intention of the BCCI with the ‘Big 3’ did not include the Associate nations in the payout.

Information taken from the following sites:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I don’t have an issue with the BCCI getting the biggest share, but it is disingenuous to suggest that India is solely responsible for funding world cricket. The revenue generated by the BCCI and passed onto the ICC is generated through other nations playing against India. IPL is so valuable because of overseas players

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I don’t have an issue with the BCCI getting the biggest share, but it is disingenuous to suggest that India is solely responsible for funding world cricket. The revenue generated by the BCCI and passed onto the ICC is generated through other nations playing against India. IPL is so valuable because of overseas players
Over the years I have grown to understand the BCCI point, they make the greatest revenue and should get their respectful cut. However as you alluded to other countries have to play India and in order for them to survive they require a good share of this funding as well, sadly the 2014 model does not allow this.

The question though is can BCCI stand solely on the IPL, if its expanded like the football leagues they may stand to make way more money as oppose to playing elsewhere in the world. Obviously no metric to work this out but they got a billion plus to fuel locally and similarly to football leagues in England and Germany they can still sell the TV rights to an international audience. Yes the international players will always head to the IPL once the money is more, so that could be bypassed as well….

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
ICC Chairman post seems to be of value. This person cannot take unilateral decisions. After Manohar took over, the ICC has actually gone downhill with regards to the appointments at the highest level. Mustafa Kamal got the sack for suggesting that umpires were biased in a World Cup knockout. Barclay is seen as a consensus candidate simply cause he belongs to the elite group. Honestly, the ICC changing their voting guidelines to reflect simple majority instead of 2/3rd will come back to bite them.

Say the Big 4(add NZ as well) decide to cut off ties with a least favored nation, that nation could be ostracized by means of a simple majority.

The ICC, I believe performed the best when under Dalmiya and Speed/Gray. These men were influential and commanded respect world over for decisions taken. Not any more.

The question though is can BCCI stand solely on the IPL, if its expanded like the football leagues they may stand to make way more money as oppose to playing elsewhere in the world
Yes! Expect this league to grow in the next 5 years. The immediate addition of WIPL teams from Tier II cities provides another ground for expanding the men's league in those 5-6 cities as well. Mind you, they will still not use the relegation system. Instead they will go with 2 parallel groups of 8 each.

In the recent team auctions( For Ahmedabad and Lucknow) we saw a couple of interested overseas bidders. The Glazers narrowly missed out. Once cricket enters the American market, expect the BCCI fortunes to go up as well. My bet being the BCCI will ultimately tie up with the American board and help them set up a T20 league with a majority revenue sharing agreement. That would be the death knell of all international cricket, I believe.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
ICC Chairman post seems to be of value. This person cannot take unilateral decisions. After Manohar took over, the ICC has actually gone downhill with regards to the appointments at the highest level. Mustafa Kamal got the sack for suggesting that umpires were biased in a World Cup knockout. Barclay is seen as a consensus candidate simply cause he belongs to the elite group. Honestly, the ICC changing their voting guidelines to reflect simple majority instead of 2/3rd will come back to bite them.

Say the Big 4(add NZ as well) decide to cut off ties with a least favored nation, that nation could be ostracized by means of a simple majority.

The ICC, I believe performed the best when under Dalmiya and Speed/Gray. These men were influential and commanded respect world over for decisions taken. Not any more.

Yes! Expect this league to grow in the next 5 years. The immediate addition of WIPL teams from Tier II cities provides another ground for expanding the men's league in those 5-6 cities as well. Mind you, they will still not use the relegation system. Instead they will go with 2 parallel groups of 8 each.

In the recent team auctions( For Ahmedabad and Lucknow) we saw a couple of interested overseas bidders. The Glazers narrowly missed out. Once cricket enters the American market, expect the BCCI fortunes to go up as well. My bet being the BCCI will ultimately tie up with the American board and help them set up a T20 league with a majority revenue sharing agreement. That would be the death knell of all international cricket, I believe.
Damn bro, thats plenty information to digest. Excellent post as always.

The WIPL is very interesting for me because I think it could take off.

India started playing a couple games in Florida last time they toured the WI.

With your thoughts on America could very well be possible in the near future as many Indians are holding high positions in major conglomerates/corporations in America. Very interesting indeed.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Not really to further discussion but I would like some of the Indian posters to reply to the question below, coming off @CerealKiller post:

Could the IPL be profitable without overseas players? Cuz I think the league has reached a stage where the foreign player’s input is negligible to draw crowd.

@Parth D would love to hear your feedback on this.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Not really to further discussion but I would like some of the Indian posters to reply to the question below, coming off @CerealKiller post:

Could the IPL be profitable without overseas players? Cuz I think the league has reached a stage where the foreign player’s input is negligible to draw crowd.

@Parth D would love to hear your feedback on this.
When you are the Bully, you want everything for yourself because you feel you are owning the system.

BCCI has more than it actually needs. Sharing it with the teams and nations actually needing it to improve the quality of cricket will help the sport more.

And it's not like this is a Multinational National Conglomerate looking to fill deep pockets of its investors. BCCI is a non for profit organization.

And all other international boards as well are operational for the reason of maintenance and welfare of cricket operations and not to earn money like a Corporation.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
When you are the Bully, you want everything for yourself because you feel you are owning the system.

BCCI has more than it actually needs. Sharing it with the teams and nations actually needing it to improve the quality of cricket will help the sport more.

And it's not like this is a Multinational National Conglomerate looking to fill deep pockets of its investors. BCCI is a non for profit organization.

And all other international boards as well are operational for the reason of maintenance and welfare of cricket operations and not to earn money like a Corporation.
Wow I love this post. Though I tend to disagree a bit with the cricket boards, mostly BCCI not running like a Corporation. Some good points though.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

My biggest worry is that BCCI is a more benevolent bully than the Imperial Cricket Council of the past. Shows just how awful the latter was when it was in power. The effects of it are still seen by how the ECB has done nothing significant for the growth of cricket in Europe barring the odd bilateral series at the international level, their push to restrict ten teams in the ODI WC and the Sky deal that took cricket off FTA. CA has been steadily killing the golden goose of BBL and is turning more cricket into pay to view too.

Just makes me wonder how different and popular the sport would be if we had a better leading board back then or even this version of BCCI.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My biggest worry is that BCCI is a more benevolent bully than the Imperial Cricket Council of the past. Shows just how awful the latter was when it was in power. The effects of it are still seen by how the ECB has done nothing significant for the growth of cricket in Europe barring the odd bilateral series at the international level, their push to restrict ten teams in the ODI WC and the Sky deal that took cricket off FTA. CA has been steadily killing the golden goose of BBL and is turning more cricket into pay to view too.

Just makes me wonder how different and popular the sport would be if we had a better leading board back then or even this version of BCCI.
The financial model of 2014 which the BCCI most likely gonna be pushing for come 2023 has almost zero financial support for the Associates.

Could you expand on how the CA let off their ‘golden goose’ in the BBL?

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

Jay Shah will be on the Finance and Commercial committee, something the BCCI insisted on as the present financial model is set to begin a new cycle next year.

Arun Dhumal the IPL chairman also gifted a position on the ICC board.

Any cricket fan outside of India should be very concerned, posibility of a roll back to the proposed 2014 model which saw zero funding to Associate and affiliated nations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread