ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Unless he could predict what was going to happen, that's called luck, mate.
Agree with you on the rest. But I think Clive Lloyd is the greatest captain of all time.
Clive Lloyd had the best of the best team... West Indies during the 70s and 80s were almost unbeatable...

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
Yes, every other captain had a bunch full of Sachin Tendulkars and Glen Mcgraths in their team but Dhoni had players who didn't even know how to hold a bat or ball yet Dhoni won. World best captain Dhoni!!!

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
players who didn't even know how to hold a bat or ball yet
Really? How come they made it to national team without knowing to hold the bat or ball?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Clive Lloyd had the best of the best team... West Indies during the 70s and 80s were almost unbeatable...
He built that team. He had the idea of playing with 4 pacers in all conditions. He instructed them to use boucers a lot. He led from the front with his batting. He deserves a lot more credit than what you're giving him.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
That's more like gut-feeling.
And he was lucky that on those occasions his gut feeling turned out to be right. If Misbah had played a more sensible shot, or had connected with that scoop, would we be praising this move?

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
And he was lucky that on those occasions his gut feeling turned out to be right. If Misbah had played a more sensible shot, or had connected with that scoop, would we be praising this move?
If and but don't matter for what's already happened. If my uncle was born a female she would have been my aunty.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yes, every other captain had a bunch full of Sachin Tendulkars and Glen Mcgraths in their team but Dhoni had players who didn't even know how to hold a bat or ball yet Dhoni won. World best captain Dhoni!!!

I will ignore this as your immaturity. I'll just give you a heads up of the test side Ponting had-

(All my stats are an approximate figure)

Langer - More than 100 tests, average of 45, around 8000 runs with about 25 tons.
Hayden - More than 100 tests, average of 50, around 9000 runs with about 30 tons.
Ponting - More than 150 tests, average of 52, around 14000 runs with about 40 tons.
Clarke - More than 100 tests, average of 50, around 9000 runs with about 30 tons.
Hussey - About 80 tests, average better than 50, around 6000 runs with about 20 tons.
Katich - About 50 tests, average of 45, around 4500 runs with about 10 tons.
Gilchrist - About 100 tests, average of about 50, around 5500 runs with about 20 tons. With the gloves about 400 dismissals.
Warne - About 150 tests, 700 wickets @ 25.
Lee - About 80 tests, 300 wickets @ 30.
Gillespie - About 70 tests, 250 wickets @25.
McGrath - About 125 tests, 550 wickets @ 21.

To add to this, they had players on the bench that could walk into any other test side in the world. In this team you had arguably the best batsman in the world, the best opening pair, the best WK-Batsman, the best spinner in the world, the fastest bowler in the world and the best fast bowler in the world in terms of accuracy at least. Exactly how poor should a captain be to lose with this side? Ponting in my opinion was a fantastic batsman with a once in a lifetime team at his disposal. Sure, it isn't his fault and he did sustain the success but it isn't exactly an all time best captain.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
If and but don't matter for what's already happened. If my uncle was born a female she would have been my aunty.
A nice way to avoid answering what i said. Still doesn't change that he was lucky in those occasions.

B

Bigby Wolf

THOKO taali!:clap:clap:clap chaa gaye guru!
Siddhu used the 'If and but' phrase many times.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Who knows what Dhoni was thinking? It was his choice and may have thought that Joginder could produce something special. Other people's point is that Dhoni was a good captain.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Who knows what Dhoni was thinking? It was his choice and may have thought that Joginder could produce something special. Other people's point is that Dhoni was a good captain.
He was a great captain, not just good, but I would call a stroke of luck for what it is. That's all.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
He was a great captain, not just good, but I would call a stroke of luck for what it is. That's all.
Fortune favors the brave, he was fortunate/lucky as he was brave enough to make those decisions.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
He built that team. He had the idea of playing with 4 pacers in all conditions. He instructed them to use boucers a lot. He led from the front with his batting. He deserves a lot more credit than what you're giving him.
Who knows what he would have thought? Maybe it was his luck that his team performed in most conditions... (By your logic)

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Unless he could predict what was going to happen, that's called luck, mate.
The field placements he kept during the T20 WC win was marvelous. Especially the match against Aussies in Semis. I honestly didn't think India could even reach finals in that WC. It was a fresh team and I had not even heard of players liek Joginder, Rohit Sharma and Yusuf Pathan. He won the WC with those guys.

And you tell that "If Misbah had played a more sensible shot, or had connected with that scoop, would we be praising this move?". He kept a fielder down there and Sreesanth caught the catch. Didn't he ? Even though that fielder is almost mandatory in all the matches, MSD did place a fielder there and he caught it. Sreeseanth didn't go there magically. He was there because Dhoni told him to go there. That was a move by captain. what's luck in that ?

And to win the ICC trophy finals was mind blowing too. He is a great captain in limted overs side.

Users who are viewing this thread