Indian Premier League - General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
An aggressive spin option would be nice. Shakib's a bit iffy.. he's got history with SRH but I'm not sure of how reliable he can be. Abhishek does have some promising spells under his name economy wise but then again the wicket-taking spinner is the problem. They do have Sundar already for that role (assuming he's fit). Other than pure spinners like Rashid, Zampa and Shamsi I don't think there's anyone else they can take a punt on. Lord Benny is unlikely to earn a deal in this auction I think... too many quality overseas prospects have come up and with the rising talk of wanting more focus on cricketers from other nations than the bigger ones.. I expect the likes of Raza, Muzurabani, Little etc to attract some attention.

I don't think Duckett, Rashid (overseas spinners seldom do) and Salt will get deals. Overseas openers seldom get deals unless they are peak T20 material with potential to improve or world class. Having said that I now remember that Duckett did play in the middle order vs Pakistan and dealt with spinners superbly.. maybe that sways the mind of an analytics driven franchise.... still think he's too niche to get a deal unless it's a last moment bid at base price to fill up the numbers. Brook's also in the same frame... I expect him, Duckett and Jacks' fates to be determined by the dreaded auction dynamics. Rossouw will probably get a deal after his century although I don't expect it to be a big one.

Mayank will probably be the biggest domestic attraction. SRH for instance should go all in for him. I expect Williamson to be the subject of a bidding war between CSK and SRH.
Definitely think Josh Little would make a good squad player, the left arm factor helps. As a bowler Topley is probably ahead of him, but Little has been consistently good this year.

Agree that a lot of those I mentioned might not get a chance. Although I think some have deals in the SA20. Maybe not this year but I imagine more cross pollination if that league is a success.

Alas, I agree about Benny. I think he was probably a big Dan Weston pick given he worked with Birmingham Phoenix too. It's a shame, he's quite unique, there's not really a bowler like him that I can think of in the top leagues.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
LSG have such a good team already despite releasing some good players.

Rahul
QdK
Hooda
Stoinis
Badoni
?
KPandya
Wood
Mohsin
Bishnoi
Avesh

If Avesh's confidence is still intact all they need is a good middle order batter to be aggressive towards the end overs or a dynamic batter capable of batting in the top four to free Stoinis up. There are plenty of names that may not even attract a lot of bids such as Brook, Duckett, Rassie, Neesham, Tector, Pooran, Bracewell, Ferreira, Zadran and other names I'm forgetting that will be available to slot into one of those two roles. I don't even think they need one of the three premier all-rounders, it would be far better to spread the resources improving the squad. The bench players they have already are all well suited to T20 cricket too. They've got plenty of money to go hard for their preferred player and they've got the brains of one of the best IPL captains in the dugout and auction.

Honestly the only reason why I'm not calling them the outright favourite is because...

KL-Rahul-1.jpg

This guy happens to be the captain.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
LSG have such a good team already despite releasing some good players.

Rahul
QdK
Hooda
Stoinis
Badoni
?
KPandya
Wood
Mohsin
Bishnoi
Avesh

If Avesh's confidence is still intact all they need is a good middle order batter to be aggressive towards the end overs or a dynamic batter capable of batting in the top four to free Stoinis up. There are plenty of names that may not even attract a lot of bids such as Brook, Duckett, Rassie, Neesham, Tector, Pooran, Bracewell, Ferreira, Zadran and other names I'm forgetting that will be available to slot into one of those two roles. I don't even think they need one of the three premier all-rounders, it would be far better to spread the resources improving the squad. The bench players they have already are all well suited to T20 cricket too. They've got plenty of money to go hard for their preferred player and they've got the brains of one of the best IPL captains in the dugout and auction.

Honestly the only reason why I'm not calling them the outright favourite is because...

KL-Rahul-1.jpg

This guy happens to be the captain.
Worst climax ever

Bevab

Staff Member
There's an Ashes series in June next year and Australia also have a tour of India in March... I honestly feel like both Stokes and Green are going to be flops especially for the type of money that they will surely garner. The former's never been a favourite of mine in this format and Green's still inexperienced in T20s. Neither player have a particular niche skill that suits them in T20s with either bat or ball and both have no particularly fixed role in the batting order. I can see the side getting them struggling to make them work.

Curran on the other hand will be a success. :goggle:

With so many interesting names in the auction I feel it might be a previously unheralded player on these shores who will end up being the pick of the season.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Question about SRH_ who will captain them? Will they look at someone like Manish Pandey /Mayank now that they have been released? Or do they look at Bhuvi (definitely not my choice)?

There has been enough said about Ben Stokes, Green and Curran as captaincy options. However, one needs to factor in their availability for the entire tournament as well. The teams that need leaders- SRH, CSK and MI (the latter will look at vice-captains). Lots of pundits stating that Curran is their choice for CSK-to me, CSK has a ready-made leader in Moeen Ali and do not need to look beyond him.

Fleming did talk about Hangargekar last season where he mentioned that he was raw and needed some time in the nets before being played. On Bana staying in nets that long, you also gotta factor in auction dynamics, where the player was, etc. I completely understand where you're coming from and as a CSK fan, I have also at many times been frustrated with CSK giving too much importance for experience and comfort but I do see signs that they will change that in the coming year(s) as the prime stalwarts are all ready to move on.

Come on! If the guy is raw, dont pick him in the squad and give him a FALSE HOPE! Even when CSK crashed out, the team was unwilling to give a go to youngsters- exactly what MSD did with Team India a few years ago.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Last IPL really followed had a Pakistani player in each team, almost.

Guess with the trends I need to follow this one to bunch with the cool dudes.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

Not really- stick to a team that you have resonated with the most. No need to go knee-deep into the league here.

Over the years, teams, players and other factors have changed quite a bit, thereby making it difficult for fans (who do not hail from the franchisee cities) to make a chocie.

Last edited:

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Definitely a good choice by SRH to release both Williamson and Pooran but have a feeling they'll try hard to get Williamson back. Agree with the others here, Williamson will no doubt be a bidding war between CSK and SRH. If Kane doesn't come back to SRH, then the captaincy debate gets difficult. The only other captaincy option with experience is Bhuvi, which wouldn't be the best idea, other options could be Washy or even Tripathi. If SRH get Mayank, he could also be a potential option.

Pooran did well last season but it's the right call to let him go espacially with Glenn Phillips in the mix, and opens up a spot at #4/5 for him. Getting Mayank Agarwal would give SRH a solid option at the top of the order alongside Abhishek Sharma and allows them to move on from their "overseas top heavy" model of the past.

Some discussion that SRH will go after Ben Stokes but honestly he wouldn't be a good pick. Can't make him captain or be sure of his availability with him being the England Test captain. Plus he's inconsistent with the bat too. As for Curran and Green, don't see any spot for them in the squad or XI, given Marco Jansen is pretty much similar to Curran and Green would be a gamble at the top of the order despite playing well at the top so far.

Surprised that SRH retained Abdul Samad after playing him for only 2-3 games. Has been in decent form in domestic cricket but this might be his last chance to show up. As for the aggressive spin option SRH need, Zampa/Mujeeb could be a safe choice, Adil Rashid wouldn't be a bad choice considering he bats a bit.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
but have a feeling they'll try hard to get Williamson back
I think KW is a closed chapter. Wasn't there some sort of a message from him bidding adieu to SRH?

Getting Mayank Agarwal would give SRH a solid option at the top of the order
Mayank would be a good pick. He isn't one of the biggies but definitely a better choice than others.

Stokes - yes, best to avoid him
Curran - not entirely sure
Green - I think they should go for him

Bevab

Staff Member
SRH already have a good captaincy candidate in Markram. Has captained his side in domestic cricket and has an U19 WC win to his name.
Post automatically merged:

But even if they aren't interested in handing it to him.. they'll no doubt go big on Mayank and make him captain.
Post automatically merged:

Don't know why you would follow a league that you hate which has sides playing a format you hate in a country whose cricket you also seem to hate unless you're seeking attention?

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
Don't know why you would follow a league that you hate which has sides playing a format you hate in a country whose cricket you also seem to hate unless you're seeking attention?
Shots fired!!!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I didn't notice that Delhi released Bharat. CSK should go all in for him and have him be the Dhoni replacement behind the stumps. The bloke is excellent with the gloves and with the all-rounder mania in the squad they can afford to carry his batting returns (which aren't too shabby either).

Curran is the best death bowler available in the auction. We should be going all in for him personally as he fills an excellent role in the team. I don't trust Mukesh Starc or Chahar at the death even if the latter has improved a lot in that department. Pretorius isn't as good as Bravo at the death too. He did surprise me last season with the ball though. I don't think we need too many players in the auction honestly and that might just embolden us to go all in for Curran who will fill a role in the XI. I don't expect SRH and/or PK to spend all of their hefty money on Curran. SRH don't even need him either, they've got Jansen who is of similar profile at a distant glance. They'd be better off targeting Stokes or Green. PK will be the main competition I believe along with MI who need an all-rounder that can bowl four overs.

Little's a good shout even if we've already got a left-arm option in the team. Agreed on the need for a fast bowler, we're sorely missing one for a while now. Shame that Asif never got his proper chance here. Might even be worth taking a punt on a newbie to the IPL like Sears or Coetzee (who I think is with JSK?). There's still the likes of Meredith if we want a more experienced option. I hope they don't go crazy on someone like Williamson because they want a captaincy replacement when we've still holes to patch in the squad. I'm not sure why Pathirana was retained after one impressive debut.. he wasn't that good for Sri Lanka. Hopefully he's shown something exciting in the nets to warrant a retention. Pleased that they didn't release Santner too, he was excellent in the WC and might be very useful on Chepauk pitches. :D

I personally hope Stokes and Green come up in the auction before Curran. That would be CSK's best chance of even having a shot at getting Sam Curran back. They cant spend more than 15 crores on Sam, and I think he'll go beyond it if he comes in early. Mukesh is very poor at the death and Chahar is decent. I think they're punting on Pathirana to be a death bowler. Guess Dhoni's comment last year about Pathirana's slingy action and his angles sealed the deal for CSK with Pathirana.

I am also thinking they might go for Gerald Coetzee (who is part of JSK team in SAT20). A 145+ clicks bowler, who also can hit a few hefty blows lower down the order. I hope they dont go for a Willamson or a Pooran, etc. CSK should focus on their death bowling and fast bowling and a few middle order Indian batsmen (KS Bharat, etc.). No point in trying for top order batters.

On captaincy - someone also brought up the idea of Devon Conway being another leadership option. Last year, CSK had a mini-captaincy camp during the season and Conway and Moeen were showing lot of interest in it (Source). Conway being a keeper, a stable minded guy (like Moeen) can definitely be an option.

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
I personally hope Stokes and Green come up in the auction before Curran. That would be CSK's best chance of even having a shot at getting Sam Curran back. They cant spend more than 15 crores on Sam, and I think he'll go beyond it if he comes in early. Mukesh is very poor at the death and Chahar is decent. I think they're punting on Pathirana to be a death bowler. Guess Dhoni's comment last year about Pathirana's slingy action and his angles sealed the deal for CSK with Pathirana.

I am also thinking they might go for Gerald Coetzee (who is part of JSK team in SAT20). A 145+ clicks bowler, who also can hit a few hefty blows lower down the order. I hope they dont go for a Willamson or a Pooran, etc. CSK should focus on their death bowling and fast bowling and a few middle order Indian batsmen. No point in trying for top order batters.

Coetzee is a magnificent talent. Has even more potential than Jansen does. Pooran is unlikely to be targeted I believe… we need to focus on Bharat IMO. I agree on the best bet being Curran coming in after Stokes and Green but we’re still likely to face stiff competition for him from at least PK and MI.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Coetzee is a magnificent talent. Has even more potential than Jansen does. Pooran is unlikely to be targeted I believe… we need to focus on Bharat IMO. I agree on the best bet being Curran coming in after Stokes and Green but we’re still likely to face stiff competition for him from at least PK and MI.

I agree on Coetzee. Pretty impressive economy (7.8) for a fast bowler. And also - He played this game 2 weeks back, where he scored 37 off 11 balls in a losing cause. Definite all round potential. Already excited to watch him play for JSK in the SAT20 league.

Users who are viewing this thread