Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't really understand the hype surrounding Umran. He hasn't really set the stage on fire like Bumrah did.

When Umran wasn't selected for the WT20, a lot of eyebrows were raised. Ditto with SRH. IMO, he is a decent pacer, but isn't an assured selection for any team.

He was the leading Indian pacer in terms of wickets in the last IPL, have you already forgotten that?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Resting on Umran's previous IPL doesn't help here. The management might be having a closer look at his nets and his practice games. Agree, SRH takes weird decisions, but the hype surrounding Umran is quite unreal.

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
hype surrounding Umran is quite unreal.
And the silence around the resurgence of a consistent performer like Mohshin Khan.. is too quite unreal.
Post automatically merged:

First LSG and now the Capital city.. FB_IMG_1684478010982.jpg

Bevab

Staff Member
And the silence around the resurgence of a consistent performer like Mohshin Khan.. is too quite unreal.
Post automatically merged:

First LSG and now the Capital city.. View attachment 279157

Mohsin Khan was very much hyped a year ago, people (including ones in the cricket circle) wanted him in the Indian team back then and he’s been a net bowler for them too. Not playing a single game of any form since then till this month due to injuries can kill any form of hype though and despite his last over heroics I’d argue that he’s still not fully up to his old speed (which is a scary thought).

As for the new jerseys, I believe Delhi did this last year too.

B

Bigby Wolf

Some real people with absolute shit mindset here.

No wonder why India lacked genuine fast pacers for year's because of such mindset.

They really deserve the likes of Prabhakar, Praveen Kumar etc. bowlers.

B

Bigby Wolf

Mohsin Khan was very much hyped a year ago, people (including ones in the cricket circle) wanted him in the Indian team back then and he’s been a net bowler for them too. Not playing a single game of any form since then till this month due to injuries can kill any form of hype though and despite his last over heroics I’d argue that he’s still not fully up to his old speed (which is a scary thought).

As for the new jerseys, I believe Delhi did this last year too.
They have been doing that since 2020 to promote their brand jsw paints.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
They really deserve the likes of Prabhakar, Praveen Kumar etc. bowlers.
Man, Praveen could swing the ball! Instrumental in victory over Australia.

I guess a lot might have to do with how Umran acts in the team as well. Guessing this is the main reason why he and Shaw consistently find themselves out of favour.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
IPL definitely needs a two-group system along with double headers on non-weekends as well. With the talk of expansion in terms of number of participating teams, this should be a must. Even though this was a close contest with many teams still in contention for playoffs inspite of reaching the end stages, a lot of it was left to permutations and combinations.
I guess a lot might have to do with how Umran acts in the team as well
This is the first I'm hearing of. Where are you getting this?
Resting on Umran's previous IPL doesn't help here
He did have a great one last year - which is why he was inducted into the T20I team too. However, he still has a long way too. This year he had a very unsatisfactory performance.

Bevab

Staff Member
Resting on Umran's previous IPL doesn't help here. The management might be having a closer look at his nets and his practice games. Agree, SRH takes weird decisions, but the hype surrounding Umran is quite unreal.

You did claim that he didn’t set the stage on fire which he very much did last year. I’m not a big fan of how he was hyped by everyone last year but he has done plenty of things that stood out since then. A part of the reason why he has struggled badly this season is because they bowled him in the powerplay when everyone knows how poorly he bowls in it.

I think I've made this statement before but I believe SRH are the one team who have the worst track record in recent years for domestic batter development and performances. Nothing seems to have changed since the last time I said so.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Looks like Punjab will never manage to win more than six games a season and always end up screw themselves over towards the end of the season.

Seems like any new players that go to Punjab end up performing worse, akin to that old RCB meme (players that leave RCB end up performing well for other franchises). Rabada has fallen way off as a T20 bowler ever since he left Delhi. Rahul Chahar's been completely forgotten about, nowhere as effective he was for MI. Dhawan himself has looked off since he became captain. Imagine how much more destructive Livingstone might have been if he played for a franchise not named PBKS or SRH :D

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
Punjab has built a really good core of (relatively) young Indian cricketers. If Shahrukh Khan isn't gonna bat in the top 5, he shouldn't really be in their first XI. Think it's time to let go of Shikhar.

:bat: Prabhsimran
#2 (Atharva Taide?)
:ar: Livingstone (:os:)
:wk: Jitesh
:ar: Sikandar Raza (:os:)
:ar: Sam Curran (:os:)
:bwl: Nathan Ellis/Kagiso Rabada (:os:)
:bwl: Rahul Chahar
:bwl: Arshdeep Singh

This team has potential. What Punjab needs is a Faf du Plessis-esque player but their overseas slots are already filled.
As for the captain, Sam Curran seems the most obvious choice but he already has too much burden on him. They should release him next year and try to get him for a cheaper price.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Interested to know which teams get the most and least support from the state or city they represent, ie PK in Punjab. I suppose everyone in Chennai is a CSK fan but idk about others.

Bevab

Staff Member
Interested to know which teams get the most and least support from the state or city they represent, ie PK in Punjab. I suppose everyone in Chennai is a CSK fan but idk about others.

There's plenty of Mumbai Indians support in Chennai I'd say, they're probably the second most supported team after CSK due to Sachin and Rohit's association with the team. You'd be surprised at how many MI fans are there in this region.

Most teams have a large fanbase in their own regions as far as I know. Even a team as mismanaged as Punjab with their own controversies and stadium issues have a lot of local support. I'd probably assume that they or Rajasthan Royals get the least support compared to others but I could be very much wrong.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Looks like Punjab will never manage to win more than six games a season and always end up screw themselves over towards the end of the season.

Seems like any new players that go to Punjab end up performing worse, akin to that old RCB meme (players that leave RCB end up performing well for other franchises). Rabada has fallen way off as a T20 bowler ever since he left Delhi. Rahul Chahar's been completely forgotten about, nowhere as effective he was for MI. Dhawan himself has looked off since he became captain. Imagine how much more destructive Livingstone might have been if he played for a franchise not named PBKS or SRH :D
Yeah, was optimistic for a playoff spot, but somehow lost to DC.

Users who are viewing this thread