MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I still don't get the fear of premeditation - look at the field and the bowler type and get ready to play a shot based on that. Then you're in a position to play the perfect shot, and you then just need to make a decision between following through with that shot or adjusting to respond to a ball that's different to what you expected.

It's easier to release the triggers than it is to press it after the ball is released, though given the shots with both triggers pressed are pointless, it's really just a decision between none and the lofted trigger.

If you're actively getting ready to respond to the ball, you're in a better position to respond differently to it, compared to how you would be if you're trying to do everything in a split second so that you're not "premeditating" things.

Last edited:

Chaudhary

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
my 2 cents

I have been playing this game since day of release, I play most of my shots by premeditating against fast and medium fast bowlers. Against spinners and medium pace bowlers I usually watch the ball and play according to line and length of the delivery(without any triggers), when I want to go aerial I premeditate irrespective of type of bowler.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
My strategy is watch the ball and play mostly, sometimes I pre meditate when the bowler seems to be bowling the consistent line and length.....And as Matt said the type of bowler is very helpful as a swing bowler rarely bowls a bouncer, whereas a tall bowler generally bowl short off a good length and Short ball and occasional yorker length...

And spinners are easy to watch and play, but some edges that happen when batting at legend level is unrealistic as I play the game like I would play in real life but the game doesn't read it that way, footwork covering the line of the ball should be useful in escaping getting the edges but the game doesnt help... I still do feel that the foot movement is not right in the game, Maybe they get it right after the patch which I doubt as most of them dont have an issue with...

I have taken aggressive ground shots as an approach to counter the too many edges in the game, and so far the edges I have got using that shot is realistic because the shot animations in this are like Sehwag, Warner types, watch and hit...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You do need to premeditate while batting and that's why a mechanism which will allow you to determine line & length a tad earlier would be helpful. I propose a slider based setting which allows you how early you can see the line & length info around the bowling donut (the one around the ball).

Last edited:

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Big Ant have mentioned that one of the things being considered for the next patch to the game is to add a ball speed slider - so that you could slow it down to a point where you can pick it up. But that doesn't really help you now.

On Rookie/Amateur you only need to worry about the right stick - the game chooses footwork for you, which should avoid the problem of playing totally wrong shots - and let you focus on line and where the fielders are rather than length.
I'm playing on rookie level and couldn't work out how I was managing to play great shots on the back foot when I was choosing front foot with the left thumbstick. Now I know that batting foot choice is irrelevant at this level. Thanks.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Bit of a learning curve may be a bit of an understatement. Played my first 50 over game on pro level today. I toiled manfully in the field to get (comp) opponents to 306 for 6 after the 50 overs. My team......26 all out....after 14 overs. Thought I was dead and buried at 11 for 8 after 10 overs, but comp brought on spinners and medium fast bowlers....allowing me to play a few scoring shots until the inevitable all out. Love the game though!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Bit of a learning curve may be a bit of an understatement. Played my first 50 over game on pro level today. I toiled manfully in the field to get (comp) opponents to 306 for 6 after the 50 overs. My team......26 all out....after 14 overs. Thought I was dead and buried at 11 for 8 after 10 overs, but comp brought on spinners and medium fast bowlers....allowing me to play a few scoring shots until the inevitable all out. Love the game though!

It's a tough game. I play on Pro, haven't really moved up since getting the game first a year ago!

Reached a stage where I can do well in tests, staying in and hitting bad balls. In limited overs where there's pressure to score, I'm much less good.

neelesh

School Cricketer
I believe the standout feature of DBC 14 was unlike cricket 07, we shouldn't pre-mediate the line and length to get real time experience.
However looks like we all are pre meditating shots, hence the design should be relooked.
Have the bowler release ball late if hes bowling shot, bring slight changes in wrist position to judge if he will ball inswing or outswing.
We can have improved graphics of release of the bowl,bowling action to improve realism

The_Pharoah

International Coach
My strategy is watch the ball and play mostly, sometimes I pre meditate when the bowler seems to be bowling the consistent line and length.....And as Matt said the type of bowler is very helpful as a swing bowler rarely bowls a bouncer, whereas a tall bowler generally bowl short off a good length and Short ball and occasional yorker length...

This. I still sometimes go out on a premeditated shot...one of my worst is seeing only a fly slip (and no third man) so I premeditate a shot there...only to see the ball full/fast on leg stump! doh!! lol. Most of the time though it does work.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
I believe the standout feature of DBC 14 was unlike cricket 07, we shouldn't pre-mediate the line and length to get real time experience.
However looks like we all are pre meditating shots, hence the design should be relooked.
Have the bowler release ball late if hes bowling shot, bring slight changes in wrist position to judge if he will ball inswing or outswing.
We can have improved graphics of release of the bowl,bowling action to improve realism
Some good ideas given regarding bowling cues. But!......I don't have enough time to decide what shot to play on which foot at the moment to the real fasties let alone have time to see any future "subtle" bowling cues like wrist position and the like. I like to think that I can play shots to spin and gentle medium pace on the merit of the deliveries. But real fasties I must admit to the occasional pre meditated shot.....or an over of defensive shots.

kamyFC

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Three things are impossible for me when facing fast bowlers
  • Switching between front and back foot in an instant
  • Changing direction of the shot based on the ball bowled
  • Change the shot type based on the delivery (Defensive shot or Attacking shot or Ground shot)
Regarding the first point - It's tough to determine the length and play a front foot and backfoot shot. I always play on the front foot in PRO mode. Am scared of going Veteran and Legend as i will be found out!
I wonder how many here have mastered hitting shots of both foots.

Regarding the 2nd point, When it comes to fast bowlers, i mostly premeditate the shot.
Occasionally, when i really really concentrate i do change direction of the shot like when i pre-meditate to hit straight down the ground
and the bowler bowls a short ball, i quickly change to hit a cut shot or pull.
But that does not work all the time and many times u look like a fool playing a crazy shot!

Regarding the 3rd point - yeah its still difficult for me to change the shot type. I pre-meditate the shot type too most times!
If i have decided its a lofted shot and it always is a lofted shot! I wonder if you guys are able to change the shot type based on the delivery?

Great discussion by the way. Just love the game.
This game is consuming my summer until PES 2016 arrives :)

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Good post kamyFC. I believe there is time to choose the batsmens foot choice and shot type when spinners and medium bowlers are being used. To clarify....time enough to choose foot choice and shot type by just using left and right sticks.....but maybe not enough time to include the various modifier buttons so as to play defensive/attacking/advance and the like. If a real fastie is bowling then I either just defend all balls or premeditated shots.....a shame but that is the reality of playing these fast lads. And I reckon that once sticks and buttons have been moved or pressed....then it's difficult ( possibly impossible) to change them quickly enough.....even with spinners....it's like your stick and button choices are 'locked in' as bowler hits his delivery stride.

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
I just think they have got it way too hard even for the easy levels. I like a challenge but I have been playing this for 6 months now and really getting no further. Apparently the '15 version is no different, shame, I think I'm just going to shelve it now and do something else with my spare time.

codename457

School Cricketer
To cut off the challenge of deciding between front foot and back foot, i made my career batsman strong on front foot.
For pacers i always play backfoot on offside irrespective of line and length, only thing i have to look for is the length of the ball. Also helps in Pulling the ball over midwicket as i am already on backfoot.
When the legside field is up i go front foot to flick to midwicket or do a Dilsweep sort of short to fine leg. Has helped me tremendously in my career mode have scored a couple of double centuries playing for derbyshire, highest is 281.
Backward point is the most productive area for my career batsman against pacers for all lenghts, even yorker length balls go for boundary along the ground.
For spinners am always on front foot and my fav position in county cricket is backward point, always gets a boundary once you pass the point fileder which happens atleast 7 out of 10 times. I find it easier to play spinners with field up no fear of getting caught on the boundary, 8 out of 10 times i score a six against a spinner.

Enjoying my Career batsman!! hope the tips help

Users who are viewing this thread